Best internet for gaming atm?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Alqemist, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Alqemist

Alqemist Member

I have had Optus Cable for 4 years now, used to be very good, now rarely get over 3mbps, quite unreliable, very congested during peak hours. Is this as good as it gets outside the NBN? I am in suburbian melbourne and the only other options I can see are Telstra Cable, which could turn out to be not much better than optus, or iinet ADSL 2+.

Any ideas?

2. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Telstras advertised speeds and infrastructure are much better than optus imo, I'm sure someone can go into more detail explaining why but after having both and speed tested at different hours in different locations, Telstra always gave a consistent 100mbps result, usually hitting around 117mbps nomatter what time of the day it was.

Optus have been pretty dodgy with their advertised speeds and plans imo..

I got on the $80 300gb naked plan in October which was advertised as 100mbps with 'premium' speeds that drop as low as 47mbps during peak times.

Called up the other day to see about going onto the unlimited plan they are now offering only to be told that current plans are all 20mbps and a 'speed pack' would have to be purchased for an additional $30 for 100mbps speeds.

So all in all they wanted $100 per month to upgrade to unlimited at only 20mbps, and an extra $30 for premium speed, I then got the run around trying to verify that my current $80 plan was still flagged as the premium speed I signed up for which they then verified and told me was a 'promotion' at the time even though it was one of their main plans on the website before they changed it for the millionth time, seems to be a huge miscommunication between their sales and tech support teams that know nothing about the premium speed packs.

TLDR; Optus has matched Telstra's 100Mbps speeds, but it's only relevant to Australian content, Telstra's infrastructure is much better.

Have a read through some of the whirlpool forums regarding telstra vs optus if you want more details, Telstra does charge a premium but if you can successfully get it all connected, it's worth it imo.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Alqemist

Alqemist Member

Hmm thanks, my main problem with going over to Telstra is that im not sure how long I will live at this current rented house for, 24 month contracts are compulsory.

4. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

They have a pretty good system in place for moving house, I dont think the fee is that expensive and depending on the location you move to(if telstra has been installed there before) you can have your internet transferred in under a week, speaking from experience. I moved a few suburbs away and it only took 3 days, after the online application for moving house told me it would take 2 weeks, I called up and explained there was already a telstra line installed at the address, they ran some sortof check and activated it, told me it would take about 24 hours and viola.

5. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

It can depend on where you live as ADSL quality can vary greatly.

That said I've used many different ADSL providers in the past(including the reputed high quality ones such as internode), and none can even remotely compare to telstra cable for internet connection on the whole. That's not to say internode etc are crap - their service was great, but ADSL just doesn't compare to telstra cable.

From a purely gaming perspective though if ADSL is good in your area you wouldn't notice a difference I reckon provided you were with a good provider, my pings on cable are certainly slightly ahead of those I got on ADSL but not enough to make a noticable difference to me.

The biggest difference is being able to consistently download at 14+mb/s...

6. alco23

alco23 Member

Telstra cable generally has pretty good feedback compared to Optus. It doesn't get congested and oversold (based on whirlpool complaints at least). My buddy has been pretty happy with his Telstra cable and pings.

If you end up with ADSL2+ (I'd rather go Telstra cable) then pick one with profile adjustments so you can get a "low-latency" profile for better pings. You sacrifice overall raw speed but you get substantially lower pings. I'm on Internode and the low-latency profile gives me 20-50pings to local Dota2 servers and ~200 for US West servers. It's about 50-70 more with a non-low-latency profile, not much difference for local servers but quite a bit for overseas ones.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Telstra cable or Internode ADSL2+.

8. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Pretty hard to go past Telstra cable but just curious which suburb your in?

Might be someone here in the same suburb as you who can give more relevant info.

9. SwoonIT

SwoonIT Member

I'm on the 100mb cable plan from Telstra and it's really solid, I usually get 25ms pings to most gaming servers in Australia.

Can't really complain on the download side either as I can usually always max the link with 12MB/s downloads.

10. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Don't know too much about the different ISPs but FWIW i'm with IINET ADSL2+ here in Brisbane and get pings around 35-45 to Sydney servers.

Think I set it to the second highest speed a couple of years ago (they had a 5 step scale), and have never had a drop out.
    I regularly hit combined download speeds >2 megabytes per second (think around 2.4 is my highest...)

11. koopz

koopz Member

- have your co-ax points re-terminated on the pole (the tap), at the CAU on the side of the house and at your modem. Even on Bigpond cable jobs this makes the world of difference to a person's speed. Hold off changing cable providers until you move house if you can.