1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best iPad usage and tracking software/techniques

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by antipody, Jan 9, 2014.

1. antipody

antipody Member

So my two boys' grandmother has bought them both ipads to distract them in case she has to look after them :shock:

Disturbingly Apple do not provide (or it seems want anyone else to) monitoring and control software for my four and six year old boys' use.

I'm thinking about installing an adblock and trying to lock down the browser, but it'd be nice if anyone had experience with other third party software that gave me detailed stats and control of their usage, blocking ads and games, easily managing network and "app" access .

I'm happy to pay good money for something that gives me maximum control and oversight of their usage. Is full business targetted "mobile device management" like Good and Mobile iron my only option?

2. anotheruser

anotheruser Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Thanks that was interesting and may be useful at some stage, although a bit crude and only a small part of what I was looking for.

Some specific usage monitoring software would be great, as well as controls that let me limit screen time to set times per day and other fine grained control.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. DeKa

DeKa Member

5. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

6. Renza

Renza Member

willing to jailbreak? There's some good apps on cydia that will allow time limits and adblock

7. Hyram

Hyram Member

Sell iPads (or re-box, return to parental unit with message "not suitable, return these for refund"), buy Androids.

As much as I loathe Android, what you want just is not possible with Apple's Walled Garden.

8. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Really? You'd think Apple would have worked it all out with their educational system marketing expertise. Simple monitoring tools for educators and parents?

I don't mind bios flashing or bricking if I have to, but does that open up any real opportunities for getting this basic functionality from this machine? I'm looking at Cydia now, but haven't come across any actual programs it offers for monitoring and control.

9. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

The type of filtering you're looking at is not best handled on a client device, rather at your connection. Which is pretty much how it happens in businesses

If you're really worried about what your kids see on the net, look into routers that have good parental controls, which almost all of them have these days.
    Or you can also use a service like OpenDNS - http://www.opendns.com/

You can also use the iOS inbuilt parental controls to restrict what content in the App & iTunes stores is available, as well as whether those apps actually appear on an iPad if they're installed. You can also disable in app purchases.

For instance, setting the App store to block content rated 12+ will not allow that content to be purchased.
    You can also hide any apps rated 12+ that are already on the iPad from the user.
    This Apple KB article is worth the read on the inbuilt controls available: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213

There's also the physical control as well, such as not letting your kids use the devices unsupervised/alone. This means that all members of the family that look after the kids have to be aware of your expectations and should be on board with how you want to raise your kids. *Note* I'm not having a dig at you, this is just a comment based on what I see happen in my workplace where it is unbelievable to see how lazy some parents actually are regarding this aspect of home life, with the belief that all this stuff is, to use a phrase from Douglas Adams, Somebody Else's Problem.

10. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

You could just disable the wifi. 4 & 6 year olds shouldn't be online unsupervised.

11. Hyram

Hyram Member

Yes, really. Those "simple monitoring tools" simply do not exist for iOS.

The first mistake is to consider an iOS-based device to be a computing device, with all the paradigms that entails. iOS doesn't have a file-system per se, and applications are strictly sandboxed and can not communicate with each other, nor is the end-user permitted to add anything at a "system" level that would make those features you want, to be viable.

Possibly the most sensible answer in this thread to date.

Prep the iPads with only stuff that you deem suitable – set up and link them to your own AppleID and raid the Store for free and low-cost kiddie-tainment that does not depend on web access, there's plenty of it – then lock down external access before letting the munchkins loose.