1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best lightweight tripod on the market

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by roger1505, Oct 14, 2018.

1. roger1505

roger1505 Member

I'm currently in the market to purchase a lightweight tripod for my Olympus OMD camera.
    Looking for something thats light weight and portable allowing me to travel with, but also able to have height and be very stable.

Any suggestions and where to purchase one would be appreciated. My budget is very flexible within reason.

zxzxzx likes this.
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

roger1505 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    roger1505

roger1505 Member

4. Deftone2k

Haha well if I had a good solid budget and I didnt want to buy again.. id probably go the N or the Gitzo. I also like the RRS kit (I have a RRS BH-40 Ballhead on mine) but the cost of RRS gear is.. not a cheap investment thats for sure.

roger1505 likes this.
  5. Athiril

Athiril Member

I dont know about best, but I got a HorusBennu A8 carbon fibre tripod a while back, and I think its 1.6kg from memory with head in the carry bag, with centre columb still attached. Id have to check the weight again, holds anything I put on it, including RB67.

roger1505 likes this.
  6. tangcla

tangcla Member

I'm looking at the RRS BH-40 as well. Is it worth the cost? I noticed that you can get a clone BH-40 (Sunwayfoto FB-36II: linky) for literally a fraction of the cost.

roger1505 likes this.
  7. DamageInc

DamageInc Member

roger1505 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    roger1505

roger1505 Member

General question which would be a better brand, Manfrotto or Sirui?

9. isaakk

isaakk Member

Would definitely vote Sirui.

I picked up a Sirui T-025x and Benro B0 head (C10s a bit light for a 6D+24-70 2.8) to travel around Europe for 2 months and loved it. Didn't have a lot of height so would probably go with something a little taller second time around, but it was a pleasure to carry around and use despite being so small.

Were I to buy again, would probably look at an A-1205 + possibly different head.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    roger1505 likes this.
  10. Deftone2k

I bought it second hand and also have the RRS multi row pano kit.. and they make darn good gear.

I also have a photoclam ballhead and its great too, but definitely enjoy the feel and use of the RRS.

Cant fault it, worth the money? Not sure.. yes it is but no its not (if that makes sense).

tangcla likes this.
  11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I got a MeFOTO branded one a few years ago. It's pretty good. Haven't used other branded ones so can't really compare.

roger1505 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    roger1505

roger1505 Member

The A1205 doesn't seem like its much taller then the T025X though.

13. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Basically you get what you pay for with tripods. I use my tripod for 90%+ of my photography and I've had 3 tripods since 2003:

- Cheapo Velbon tripod
    - Manfrotto 190XProB with a 322RC2 head
    - Gitzo GT2541 with an Acratech GV2 head

I have had the center column removed from my Gitzo for quite a while (even though I have it in my camera bag just in case) and it is a very lightweight combo. It is also very rigid and stable.

I've had the Acratech head for about 7 years or so now (initially had it on the Manfrotto legs), and have had the Gitzo legs for about 6 years. I don't regret buying either and I don't yearn for anything else either. I've used a variety of dSLRs (D700, D800E, D750, D810) with the heaviest lens being a F2.8 70-200 (with a TC) on it, I've also used an Mamiya RB67 on it and currently a GX617 panoramic film camera.

The Acratech head I've got is excellent, its also lighter than the RRS heads too. If I was buying from scratch now knowing what I know now, I'd buy the Acratech GP2 head (GV2 is superceded) and I'd have a debate with myself between a set of Gitzo legs or the RRS legs.

roger1505 and tangcla like this.
  14. tangcla

tangcla Member

Please upgrade. I'd like to buy your current setup. :)

roger1505 likes this.
  15. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Heh, I really don't see anything better for what I use camera wise currently. I think if I was to get into something like wildlife photography I'd probably buy a bigger/heavier duty tripod for that as my current one wouldn't cope with sticking one of the super telephoto primes on it very well (would also want a different style of head as well) - but I'd still keep my current one for other photography.

Would cost a small fortune to replace what I've got currently too, if I include the levelling base, nodal rail and camera plate the replacement cost would be something absurd right now with how badly the AUD sucks against the USD.

16. OP
    OP
    roger1505

roger1505 Member

Can I get someones opinion on the Sirui T-220SK?
    It seems it meets the criteria of lightweight and portability, is there anything else that would compare to this tripod around the price range?

17. isaakk

isaakk Member

Center column is non-adjustable below 1/2 way up, either it's 1/2 to all the way up or removed. That'd be the reason i'd spring for an A-1205 or other instead.

The T-025X is the same, hence it being too short as I didn't use the center column (was a pain to use and made the tripod unstable with a DSLR).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    roger1505 likes this.
  18. tangcla

tangcla Member

I'm looking for something to replace my 12-year-old Manfrotto 055MF4. Sturdy and a fairly high maximum height would be my priorities. I do a lot of long exposure stuff. Light would be nice (but more from a lazy point of view).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    roger1505

roger1505 Member

I see why now, didnt think about it.
    Going to do some research and see where I can get that one for the cheapest.

20. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I own a Gitzo 1555T: http://photovideo.com.au/traveller-compact-tripods-c-274_275_277.html

When folded, this is the most compact (35cm) and lightest (1.03kg) travel tripod on the market. The downside is the maximum height is not very tall - 138cm. Still, it's a Gitzo, which means that build quality is superb and it is rock solid. This is my second Gitzo tripod, I sold my first tripod after owning it for 14 years when my needs changed. I no longer want to carry around a massive tripod. This little Gitzo fits easily in a camera bag without too many protruding bits. I love it.

Frozen_Hell and roger1505 like this.