Best place to get genuine Samsung Qi charger, cables etc ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by vladtepes, Sep 25, 2017.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I'd like to get a Qi charger for my Note5 and I also need some decent long cables.

What is the best (value) place to buy genuine Samsung parts?

Last time I bought some long cables they were non-OEM and very loose / didn't last long.

(I could only find this smart charger http://www.samsung.com/au/mobile-accessories/wireless-charger-ng930-galaxy-s7-s7-edge/ but it is double the price of the old ones that fast charged the Note5 (which weren't S7 compatible). The old ones were just lie-flat no fancy stand thing, which suits me fine.

edit: I found that same one (I presume its not a fake) at kogan https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/samsung-fast-charge-wireless-charging-stand/ for slightly cheaper. (only $10 less with postage factored)
    But as I say I'd be happy with an older style flat one as long as it is genuine.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Just FYI, Qi is in itself a standard for wireless charging.

So essentially if you are keen on using Qi wireless charging for your phone, then anything that meets the Qi standard then you're cooking with gas. It doesn't need to be Samsung. Any eBay Qi wireless charging pad will work happily to charge your Samsung phone.

Qi chargers generally come in at the 5W mark but the standard allows it to charge up to the 15W top level.

IKEA has some furniture which has Qi wireless chargers integrated into it. You could probably even pick up some cheap run-out old Nokia DT-900 chargers and it'll happily work.

I bought an eBay Qi charging pad for $15 or thereabouts about 6 months back.

Here's a few:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qi-Wirel...hash=item2a80ae134f:m:mum-GDRGwjJrDarzmlRhAjw
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qi-Wirel...hash=item2cc190cf35:m:m57IDLghBTTW6NUdZ3Wn4Tw

So the TL-DR is you don't need to have it be branded Samsung. It can be anything as long as it is Qi. It'll work. You'll be happy. It doesn't need to be expensive to let your phone charge wirelessly.

A bit more information about Qi here.

3. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Indeed, but as I understand it's only the Samsung ones which will work with the Note5's FAST charging feature? Perhaps I'm wrong?

Does anyone know of any good quality longer (1.5m) cables? The last ones I bought the usb-c connectors were a bit too 'floppy' and bent way too easily.

(As an aside, it seems the design of these isn't ideal in that they come out of the bottom of the phone. Doesn't allow a user to rest the phone against anything in use, while charging.... Might have been better to have the charging port in the side.)

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Blitzwolf are my go to cables nowadays.. they go on sale at Banggood and Gearbest and the like pretty often, you just have to wait a couple of weeks for shipping

5. gords

gords Oh deer!

Anker have a good reputation for cables.

6. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thank you all.

dycloo _ I note that the 'dual coil' charger you linked is 3x the price of the other Samsung-copy one. As far as you can se does it offer any advantage for that price?

Do you have personal experience of either of those?

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I just bought this exact one from dicksmith/kogan, and have been using it for a few weeks now. Extremely happy and genuine, with a great price.....I took advantage of the recent ebay $20 off purchases over $75. With those deals on ebay, even with ebay retailers hiking prices before sales, the prices are still good and have the added bonus of quick delivery and not coming from overseas.

8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

9. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

The only difference with the Samsung fast chargers are that they offer a full 15W specification deployment for the wireless charging.

Dual or triple coil units will cost more because it'll let you drop the phone onto the charger and it not be so finicky as to positioning.

Just find one that suits your needs.

I had a handful of old Nokia DT-900 units from when I was using the old Lumias. When I swapped to Android, I bought a Qi charging pad that had a USB-C connector. So slap it in, case it up and I'm still using the Nokia charging pads for my recharging needs. They charge at 5W. Still fast enough. Probably won't stress the battery out as much because of the slower charge.

10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

11. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

interested to hear how they go :)

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Interesting story (longish if you can bear with me), interested to hear others thoughts on this.....I purchased this wireless Samsung dock (added adaptive fast charger plug also)off that very same ebay seller (high volumn mobile phone accessories seller) and when I got it the charging cable was a regular USB-C cable which I thought was odd (charging base requires micro usb), but didn't think much of it but thought I would email seller about it anyways. A few hours later I realised hold on perhaps the item was actually a fake. I then bought the same item at full price from legit seller which worked perfectly.

I did some research on the "fake" and although difficult to tell I thought it probably was a fake, especially given the price and using a micro usb cable I found from another device, I couldn't get it to wireless FAST charge, it would just charge, but fast charging would not engage. Also thought it may have been fake because their didn't appear to be any fan sound emitted when charging. Also it felt lighter than the fully legit item.

Anyways, so a few hours after I send the original message to them about the cable, I sent another message asking for a refund due to it being what I thought was fake. The seller refunded me straight away, apologising and asked me to send back to them. I was just going to bin it as the seller had not given me return funds to send it back to them. So money was in paypal straight away and I thought that was the end of the saga.

Few days later in the mail comes a micro-usb cable they sent me, so I tried the cable with their adapter fast charger plug and the dock and it worked, fast charges perfectly and there is definitely a fan there that kicks in. Oh oh. So perhaps it was the non Samsung micro usb cable I plugged in previously that had not made it fast charge?

So I got the genuine one I bought, and also the "fake" and put them alongside each other to study them, I couldn't really tell a lot of difference between them and the serials match up as being legit. So have I wrongly accused the seller of selling a fake? :( (The "fake" feels slightly lighter and slightly louder sound on the fan.) Or do the fakes also fast charge?

What really threw me was the fact he didn't dispute the allegation of it being a fake, before I knew it the money was refunded, no questions asked, within seconds of me sending the message. Plus the fact it was so cheap in comparison to the major retailers at over $100. Is it actually possible sellers can sell legit items so cheap?

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Yes blitzwolf always come highly recommended, so doubt you can really go wrong there.

14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

15. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

It's interesting isn't it.. the whole concept of "fake" is very blurry these days.

In all likelihood the genuine and your 'fake' unit probably come from the same factory. Possibly the fake uses some inferior / less expensive components / plastics etc. Possibly.

Many of the "fakes" or rather non-genuine chargers do appear to be capable of fast-charging.

As to your seller he really has no need to contest you allegation of it being fake - that's a no-win situation. He just refunded you, thus avoiding awkward questions / complaints and everyone is happy-ish.

16. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well.....

The cables FINALLY turned up - they are USB-C which I ordered after seeing a YT clip saying these are compatible but just don't matter which way round they are plugged.

The Note 5 uses Micro USB which, as it turns out, is entirely NOT compatible... leaving me with useless (to me) cables...

And as far as I can see Blitzwolf don't appear to offer Micro USB cables?!

Sigh.

Would THESE http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-1-...d=263176580707&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
    do the job, do you think, so I could use my fancy new cables with my phone that has micro USB socket?
    I bought some to try - not going to break the bank. Given the delivery time though I will have forgotten about them by the time they turn up....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017