1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Portable Bluetooth Speaker sub $3-400

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Grimace22, May 4, 2017.

1. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Hi guys, wasn't sure where to put this so I guess Audio Visual is the best! Wondering if anyone has done the hard yards and done some sort of testing of the numerous Portable Speakers on the market.

I had a search on here, whirlpool and the net in general yet nothing seems conclusive or it is way too old to still be credible. I just want a unit that has decent battery life, bluetooth, Aux and most importantly, good sound quality!

Thinking the UE megaboom but still in fairly early stage of discovery.

2. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

Best is subjective.. but when i was looking around Bose soundlink 2 are great.

Bose soundlink mini 2

the biggest factor in getting these were the fact i have friends that have these and i was able to listen to them (though in a party setting). they are able to handle pretty much everything i put to them.

3. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

4. renren

renren Member

I really like my JBL charge 3 - seems to get great reviews and it sounds very good.

5. one80

one80 Member

I've had a JBL Flip, then changed to a UE Boom 2, and then to a KEF Muo.

The Muo has the best sound quality by far, but you'd hope so as it does cost the most, and surprisingly good volume and bass without distortion. I'd highly recommend one.

I got mine direct form the KEF importer (Advance Audio) who were offering a great deal to promote them. Not sure if they still do however...

6. OP
    OP
    Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Did you listen to the UE Megaboom or the Bose soundlink III or other comparable units price wise? To the Muo that is. I've pretty much narrowed it down to those three, soundlink 3($450), megaboom($300) or the KEF($400ish). might get a Muo simply because Headphonics have them on the website!

Do you mind me asking how much it set you back? Please PM if that's better!

7. touchwood

touchwood Member

Hi mate, I have the UE Megaboom and am well impressed with it. Battery life is very good and Bluetooth connectivity is painless. You are able to connect two of these at once using the app should you wish. Unable to give you comparisons though sorry.

8. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

same here, mate brought one on a holiday and it was great for by the pool listening so ended up buying one with the recent price drop

Also ive heard good things about this more reasonably priced BT speaker but havent listened in person

http://www.play-asia.com/anker-premium-stereo-bluetooth-speaker/13/70az49?gclid=Cj0KEQjwoqvIBRD6ls6og8qB77YBEiQAcqqHewWxIKt5cSjNM3UiWnhmeASF1aWfiRJCOjtCti6aEXoaAkIv8P8HAQ&ref=froogle_au

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. macrocephalic

macrocephalic Member

If you're feeling creative, you could make your own. Buy a DIY BT Amp kit from aliexpress for about $17. Buy a 12v Li-ion battery from aliexpress. Buy a cheap set of speakers from scumtree and put the battery and control board inside one. You'll need to create some buttons and a charging port.

10. one80

one80 Member

I think it was about $350...

I didn't get a chance to compare them, but went off the "What HiFi" (and other) reviews. Plus I had a UE boom already and wanted to try something different.

11. srey

srey Member

I've got a an original UE boom that I got shortly after they were released, and it's been great for me, but portability and durability is just as important in this case as outright sound quality.

Anyway, the point of this post was to actually say that as much as I love my boom, a couple of friends have the megabooms and I was pretty disappointed in them. Not that they sounded bad as such, just that there was not nearly a big enough jump over the normal boom to justify the extra price or bulk.

Actually, left field suggestion: what about buying two booms? My mate has one as well and we pair them up all the time when we're out somewhere; ran them in stereo in a spare room in our old sharehouse too and it was a pretty good setup for what it was.

12. Mattip

Mattip Member

BOSE soundlink mini, Nothing else to be honest. :thumbup:

Sound that comes out of these is incredible, Nearly about to buy the new version for holidays just so I can ditch the propriety charger that came with the first one.

13. Audi-Tone

Audi-Tone Member

JBL Xtreme.

had one for a few months. sounds fantastic. 40w rms so gets loud too.

jb hifi have them for around $330 at the moment i think

14. xtortion

xtortion Member

I've had many including the UE Boom, currently have two.

Bose wins hands down in terms of sound and bass response.

I only use the UE when I have people over the pool. :thumbup:

15. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

UE Boom 2 is good, but the UE Megaboom definitely has better quality (especially in the low end). The equaliser also has a massive impact on the sound quality, it'll sound like rubbish if you're using the wrong profile (Podcasts on the Music setting sound like rubbish, and vice-versa).

16. danyell

danyell Member

I've been looking at these units, too.

The Bose Soundlink Mini II sounds incredibly musical for such a small unit. I auditioned the JBL, Sony and UE (Logitech) range, too. Musicality trumps volume and raw "let's party!" bass for me.

The one downside to the Bose I can determine: no USB charging, so you can't keep it topped up with a USB battery pack etc or recharge it easily when camping. Charger is an AC wall wart.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Try the new Cambridge audio "yoyo s"

I just compared it against all the latest Bose options including the soundlink mini and both revolve models, and the Cambridge yoyo s crushes them for clarity and quality. Pus it's only $299.

18. Steak Face

Steak Face Member

Another vote for Bose Soundlink Mini II, although I haven't really checked out the competition, after I heard the Bose I didn't think I needed to as it suits my use well.