Best program for Windows to transfer photos

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by thedunnyman, May 22, 2012.

1. thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Hey guys,

I used to have a Canon 60D which came with the EOS Utility software which allowed me to transfer my photos into year/month with certain filenames.

Now I have the Olympus E-P3 - and don't think there is such software for it.

Anyone know of any programs out there that do a similar thing?

2. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Windows Vista and 7 do this sort of thing out of the box.

3. OP
    OP
    thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Do you know if it does auto rotating as well? I'll have to explore this feature when I get home

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You Should be able to set Auto Rotation in camera so you dont have to worry about that.

You can try things like Picasa or Fastoneimageviewer

Personally if I was copying files id be making folders manually and copying using tera copy.

Less automated but so damn fast.

5. andysl

andysl Member

get yourself Lightroom :)

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Whoops also check out Photomechanic. That is the bomb for culling/viewing raws and sorting folder stuff out :)

7. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

Teracopy is great for moving things quickly. Another option you can is is Total Commander - http://www.ghisler.com/

This will let you create and delete folders, rename them and you can queue up as many file transfers as you want to what ever folder you want. I use it for moving things around on my 10.8TB RAID array. Bear in mind this will only let you move data around, not catalogue it.

8. BalkanWarrior

BalkanWarrior Member

get a cheap USB SD card reader thing that is compatible with your cards and just copy and paste them in.

I was plugging the camera in and using the Canon supplied software but found the new method with the card reader much quicker.

9. OP
    OP
    thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Too many recommendations = headache!

I'll look through them all.

P.S. BalkanWarrior cheers for my tip but that's exactly what I want to avoid :p (speed is no concern, it's the organisation part)

10. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Wow, doesn't anyone just use Windows Explorer?

1. Plug in camera/card and click 'Open Folder' when the prompt pops up.
    2. CTRL-A to select all
    3. CTRL-X to cut
    4. Navigate to picture folder
    5. Right Click, 'New Folder' and call it whatever you want
    6. CTRL-V to paste.
    7. Walk away and make a sammich.

Everything other than the last step takes all of about 8 seconds. Probably less time that it would take for a program to start up...

11. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

This is what i do.

12. OP
    OP
    thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Thanks for the reply mate. But dw I know shortcuts and all ;) I was actually referring more to the categorisation of photos into folders. So for example, these programs would copy photos into a directory like //..../2012/05/ and then within the folder for May, it would make subfolders for the different days - or whatever customisation you choose.

Your method would work if I did batch uploading per 'event' I went to, but often I don't upload photos until a look time.

Cheers though ;)

I actually looked most up and I went with Lightroom! :)

Helps with the organisation. It's gonna help so much easier when I want to make a Mothers Day album and I can just search for the keyword :)

13. spectre257

spectre257 Member

+1 for Photomechanic makes culling and reviewing raws (even the massive D800 raws) a breeze.

14. daveo555

daveo555 Member

Just the card in the reader. I just have a HHD that i put them in, then just put them in a folder named "20120524_example". After that i just go and import into lightroom.

15. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Yeah, sorry, I actually wasn't being factitious either - I guess I figured everyone was like me and transferred their files after every shoot.
    A quick browse through the 'Shit you've recently bought' thread just goes to show that there are people with WAY more memory cards than me :lol:

THAT SAID, in the past where I've travelled for a couple of days at a time without transferring my shots, I usually just create a new folder in camera each day.
    I know that would me renaming the folders when you eventually transfer them to the PC, but my argument is (as per my initial post) that it doesn't take long at all to do, and you'd have to type in those dates if you used something like LR anyway...

16. daveo555

daveo555 Member

I still use 3 x 2-gig CF cards, sure its a pain when your shooting RAW having to card cards every 150 or so pics.

Just need to source some new cards, around 8gig would suit me. Also try get a CF & SD combo that has the same fast speeds, the sandisk 90mb ones look good.

17. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

if anyone ever needs a free equivalent to photoshop give gimp a go, i use it at work as it is free

http://www.gimp.org/

18. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

get yourself lightroom :)

19. Nafe

Nafe Member

I can probably flog you some of my old Extreme III 4GB cards if you want. I forgot I bought a whole bunch of 8GB cards for a wedding job a while back, and just discovered them when clearing out my CF card wallet for the Le Mans trip LOL :rolleyes:

20. ochojo

ochojo Member

I use a wi-fi sd card the best think since slice bread.
    Turn camera on and it transefer photo and videos with out any user or cables to go.