Best retro on YT

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. power

power Member

2. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I can't remember if I first saw it posted here or elsewhere, but this got recently reposted on one of the many FB groups I'm on so I recently watched it again. Learnt some things about CGA I didn't know before. :thumbup:

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

5. elvis

This guy is my new hero:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGameTech/videos

Buys a tonne of "not working junk" off eBay and fixes it. Sometimes it's a bit of effort, sometimes it's a trivial fix (changing a battery), and sometimes the thing just works!

Goes to show how much stuff on eBay is just down to people not testing things. (I can't criticise - I just gave away a boatload of PC gear and I was too lazy to test).

I know I've scored myself a few bargains which came down to someone's mum getting sick of a stockpile of 80s electronics and selling it all for a few bucks at a garage sale. I wonder how many eBay sales are something similar?

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yeah guys like that are awesome. so are guys who give away boatloads of PC gear because they're too lazy to test :p
    btw which was the NIC you said had good dos/driver support and can set up ftp etc. i have a PII 233MMX, i think it's a good fit for that.

7. elvis

Either the Realtek PCI cards, or the Intel ISA one.

Once you get NDIS/TCP/IP working in DOS, check out this list of tools (especially the "NET" list):
    http://www.freedos.org/software/

8. elvis

I don't proclaim to know everything about retro gaming, but I feel I know a bit. The guys from "Did You Know Gaming" constantly impress me with their videos. Normally any video or article on retro gaming has the same "top 10" recycled factoids that everyone has known since forever, but these guys do a stellar job of throwing in some very well researched information every time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DYKGaming/videos

I watched the Satoru Iwata video over the weekend, learned a lot about the man, and even shed a little tear.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

just stumbled onto this channel, not strictly retro but the guy does review a very wide variety of early PC games, lost my morning to this.

Oh and he's an Aussie who doesn't beat around the bush - I don't agree with everything he says but it's refreshing to see reviews for games like Kingpin, Far Cry and the like after all this time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKlUrYO3i9MDlL45Ia6j5EA

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  10. elvis

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Sooooo, I just lost the day to this channel - it has a dumb name but it's a freakin' great retro channel with TONS of videos and regular content - definitely subbed.

A real eye opener was the how to spot fake Nintendo carts, as someone not in the market I didn't realise it was such a big deal.

Anyway, channel!

https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalJesusRocks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Another channel to while away the hours on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6LaAC9VckZYJUzutUW3PQ

these guys cover in reasonable depth most systems, the episodes are light and their summation of games leans on the just giving you a gist of it and not over bearing at all.

This one got me watching and subbing.

13. bester

bester Member

Of the ones listed above DigitalFoundry, Game Sack, Gggmanlives, MetalJesusRocks, RetroRGB (his weekly roundup and website are an incredible source of Console/RGB related information) and RGB Rob (he RGB modded all of my consoles) are all great.

My other favourite retro channels are as follows:

Matt Chat <--- This guy is responsible for getting me back into retro gaming over the last year, he has some great/big name interviews.
    The Last Gamer <--- This guy is based in Melbourne and has the largest video game collection in the world, unbelievable stuff!
    My Life In Gaming <--- Just like RetroRGB, a truly incredible resource for Console Gaming and RGB.
    Dan Wood <--- Great Amiga resource.
    The Gaming Historian <--- Very informative gaming videos.
    Demoscene Documentary <-- Good doco about the Finnish Demoscene (i.e. Future Crew etc watch with CC for English).
    Did You Know Gaming <--- More informative gaming videos.
    Hard4Games <--- Intentionally wacky but great Console Gaming videos.
    Modern Vintage Gamer <--- Awesome retro video site, has a lot of Amiga, Arcade and Midi stuff.
    Phil's Computer Lab <--- I doubt I need to mention this one :D but Phil's videos are truly great, a ton of useful info and I love all of the Midi stuff. His videos are the main reason I dragged all of my Intel 486DX4-100, Pentium 3 1.4GHz Tualatin and Roland stuff out of the cupboard recently. Revising a few parts on them at the moment but will post about it when finished.
    The Ben Heck Show <--- This one is also well known, but he has some pretty good retro console related videos.
    Gamearang <--- Re-hosts some "The history of" series covering well known games.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. elvis

Both of these channels should be mandatory watching for anyone new to retro console collecting.

I find them a little frustrating that they don't go in depth into things, but sometimes I forget I've been living and breathing this stuff for 30 years, and for many it's brand new. So in that regard, I'm glad they exist for younger folks who are new to this hobby.

15. nimmers

nimmers Member

elvis likes this.
  16. elvis

Awesome, subscribed.

In return: "Arcade Appreciation": https://www.youtube.com/user/Niko1Linni/videos

Commentary and playthrough on games, but my favourite feature is they have a coin/credit counter to show you how much the game would have cost to play at 25c (a US quarter) per credit.

17. neoprint

neoprint Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. elvis

Oh man, how could I forget this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yakumo1975/videos

"RetroCore". This guy was making videos about retrogaming while living in Japan back in 2004. I downloaded a bunch of his videos back on terrible ISDN connections from work long, long ago. He was doing retro video before YouTube was even an twinkle in somebody's eye.

"Yakumo" is the online name he goes by, and owns segagagadomain.com.

Very high quality. I think he has contacts inside of Sega and a few other companies, and he knows his shit backwards and inside out. Worth starting from the start and binge-watching the lot.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Been watching lots of Game Sack lately and it's just so good to watch all these games that I used to read about in magazines.

not going to link the channel again just mentioning it again because I feel like I'm experiencing games I've never even seen before (which is kind of true) YT is just the best (after the games themselves of course).

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Some great hidden gems in this video, I'm particularly excited to try the Oils Well clone/update.