Best retro on YT

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I take him at face value myself (to a fault I guess), the drive to collect, store and restore all this gear and the apparent joy he has for it all to me is what makes everything so impressive.

What I wouldn't give for a tour of his home and maybe weekend (or 10) spent playing.

All those gorgeous cabs all running in great order, so sweet.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I sincerely hope his collection stays well preserved. Whether by him and his family/descendents, or eventually as some sort of museum.

We (humans) do a terrible job at preserving 20th century stuff, especially games, for a bunch of reasons. His collection, and the quality of it, are very important.

3. Vanne

Vanne Member

I love it too, but there is no way I could live in a house like that, would drive me bonkers, not even needing to say divorced and with kids that probably never go outside. I love my games, but thanks but no thanks living like that.

4. elvis

Yeah, it takes a certain type of personality. My collection isn't huge by any means, and I'm already suffering "too many games, too many systems" issues. I'll never have the time to play everything I own, and that fact alone sends me a little batty from time to time. :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i've got a strict rule if i don't see myself playing it i won't buy it, for that reason alone i'd never have a collection like Joel's but at the same time I love that he's done it - the preservation factor alone is worth it.

I'd love to have that arcade though, that I'd be into.

elvis likes this.
  6. Lurchorama

Lurchorama Member

It's my first How-To, so please be gentle.
    :)

Ratzz, Vanne, Cropsy and 1 other person like this.
  7. elvis

Great video. There are so many folks on eBay selling really, really simple joysticks (literally direct-wire, no encoder, cheap joystick into a $5 Jaycar plastic project box) for $150+, which I think it nuts. More folks need to have the confidence to wire up their old systems to home made joysticks, or make/use adaptors for existing sticks.

Lurchorama likes this.
  8. proffesso

proffesso Member

9. Lurchorama

Lurchorama Member

Thanks mate.
    I should point out that a) I simply like making 'stuff', and b) I'm cheap - hah

Vanne likes this.
  10. elvis

The perfect recipe for DIY hardware and repairs. :)

I make my own joysticks, do my own mods and repairs. Lately I've even been making my own cables. Saves me a fortune in this hobby where little addons cost so much lately.

Vanne and Lurchorama like this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

I also do most of my own work, but time is always a factor, both on my race car and my "load of rubbish and unfinished projects" as my wife loves to call the crap I have upstairs in my office/hideaway. Time is by FAR my biggest constraint.. by FAR!!! That and having a bunch of little ones running around and I'd rather play with them most of the time than play /work on/with some of the projects I have on the go.

I do sometimes outsource things that I know will take up too much time, that's why I was asking previously if Bunnings cut wood in the shape that you want ..
    So yeah sometimes I'd prefer to pay someone to do the stuff for me as depending on what it is, time could be better spent doing other things...

Just needs some careful time management.. I do get around to most things, sometime...

But yeah, making your own stuff sure does give that awesome feeling of accomplishment..

Lol I too laugh when I see those joysticks on eBay for 100 bucks.

Saw a nice set of hori fighting sticks (with Ryu on background) for 29 us each.. that was a pretty darn good find. ;)

Hanging out in Honkers atm, they sure have a lot of computer gear here, haven't found any retro shops yet though, so if you know of any here, shoot me a pm. ;)

Lurch, never did have a play around with the Spectrum, was always in a 64 group.. what were they like?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  12. Lurchorama

Lurchorama Member

I never had one 'back in the day' either. Mine was a TRS-80 family, then onto a 286 PC
    Honestly, if you had a C64, you werent missing out. The C64 is superior in every way.
    But you have to remember that the main benefit of the Speccy (at least the first one) was that it was *cheap*. Especially in impoverish 1980's UK. Where the C64 was what? 3-400 pounds, the Speccy was 99

Vanne likes this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks Lurch, ill pass it up on my "to collect" list then :D

14. elvis

15. flain

flain Member

Atari Falcon playing quake, pretty impressive for a machine out at that time

elvis likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

speaking of the Falcon, I don't know if we've all seen it but Nostalgia Nerd did a good history of video last week.

flain and elvis like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

SNES is there anything it can't do?

18. elvis

Hahaha wow. Eras collide.

19. breech

breech Member

One track from a nice OST I found today. Now to hunt down the real media.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  20. Lurchorama

Lurchorama Member

Pulled from the local recycling centre, I've set to work rescuing this poor, beaten Macintosh LC.

flain, Vanne, elvis and 1 other person like this.