Best retro on YT

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Phido

Phido Member

Kinda into old macs, when I have some time I will have to get them out and have a play.

2. flain

flain Member

If you have macos 7 or newer (can't believe i'm using the word newer), you can run Bolo on it. Bolo is a multiplayer tank game for macos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(1987_video_game). One of the first and best multiplayer network games :). I used to play up to 16 player bolo with school friends on the macs that were in the schools "computer lab" in the early 90s.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Lurchorama and Phido like this.
  3. flain

flain Member

Great video on Amiga vs Atari ST vs PC DOS

Part 1

Part 2

Sadly the computer i had (Atari ST) didn't fare too well but still very interesting to see the reasons behind some of the differences

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. Lurchorama

Lurchorama Member

I managed to get the poor LC finished. A few hiccups along the way, but it all worked out:

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

if you want a TLDR the original ST was under powered and in the market too long - devs cbf'd programming for the later released STE ergo the Amiga was always better. Always.

A similar thing happened with Microsoft and the X Box One, however Microsoft picked up a lot of the slack and made the machine "just work" instead of the convoluted mess Atari as they always did create for developers.

I had an ST back in the day and well i loved it, but i came from an 8-bit machine. We traded up to an Amiga and I never looked back. I still own and ST but more as a nostalgia thing.

6. flain

flain Member

Don't forget the Amiga 1000 launched in 1985 at $1285 USD and was up against the Atari ST launched in 1985 for $599 USD ($799 with monitor). Two years later the Amiga 500 came out with much better hardware than the ST and could now compete on price. The ST was always the budget machine which explains why my parents got me one instead of an Amiga :(. When the STe came out in 1989 it was a bit late to the party and also expensive.

It was interesting watching some of the videos, i never knew that the Atari ST was created by ex-commodore people and the Amiga was created by ex-atari people.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah the Amiga was almost an Atari, it was a very small industry at the time.

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

And apparently the IBM PC could of been an Atari too.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/ibm-pc-history-part-1/

There was probably no way it was ever going to happen but it at least seemed to kick IBM into action and the rest is history.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets"

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Castlevania is everywhere on YT atm, did i miss something? Or is it the PS4 release thingy?

11. elvis

PS4 got a physical double-release a month or so back titled "Castlevania Requiem", which has got "Symphony of the Night" and "Rondo of Blood" (the latter being retarded expensive to buy new, so it's great it finally got re-released).

The video I linked above is 3 years old though, but it just popped up in my feeds (likely because of the Castlevania hype you mention).

All good by me. One of my favourite games, and I'm quite happy to see it getting some love (and an official re-release, which everyone knows how much I support) again.

12. flain

flain Member

There is a pretty good comparison of the different releases here

Spoiler - best is still the original systems (because they aren't ports they're emulation with enhancements) but the re-releases are still worth playing

elvis likes this.
  13. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Also, it was just Halloween so everyone is doing spooky stuff.

elvis likes this.
  14. adz

adz Member

A buddy of mine just posted this on another forum I frequent, I couldn't find it in any of the relevant threads here and I know some of you will find it interesting no doubt, enjoy!

matz, Flamin Joe and Spearchucka like this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Review of the MCE2VGA video converter by LGR. Looks fantastic.

16. flain

flain Member

Blindfolded Punch-out!

breech likes this.
  17. flain

flain Member

Super Metroid any% speedrun WR was just beaten again (1 day ago)

elvis likes this.
  18. flain

flain Member

Analogue are including a previously unreleased Megadrive game with the Mega SG release, video of it here:

19. Grant

Grant Member

Looks very Bitmap Bros., it'd be totally at home on the Amiga as well :thumbup:

20. elvis

D.I.C.E - same devs as Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions on Amiga, and Benefactor on Amiga CD32.

Many European Megadrive devs used Amiga as their platform to write/test code on, as it shared the same X68K main CPU.