Best retro on YT

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 5, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i love M2 ports, did not realise they are helming the mini - day one pre-order off that news.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This guy's whole channel is worth a sub.

flain likes this.
  3. domsmith

domsmith Member

Modern Vintage Gamer

This guy has a lot of interesting content from homebrew on consoles to arcade related material

Arcade Copy Protection

Xbox System Link across different console generations

elvis likes this.
  4. elvis

I quite unfairly wrote this guy off at first, but his channel is quite impressive. He's got a hell of a lot of knowledge. Worth a subscribe.

5. flain

flain Member

28600FPS+ high speed camera filming of Mario on a CRT

JSmithDTV, MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i don't know why but i really like listening to MVG talk about copy protection - something I hate but hearing about the homebrew and hacking scene from at least his perspective as someone who's written emulators is interesting.

greencamel65 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Wulfden and LGR had the best E3 videos this E3 - who said it was a bust?

bonus!

8. bester

bester Member

BitHead1000 (Jesse) self proclaims that his channel is the "the greatest video game program in the history of human civilization":

https://www.youtube.com/user/BitHead1000/videos

This guy has genuine comic talent (a matter of opinion maybe), is a favourite of The Last Gamer (Joel Hopkins) and from memory has a complete TurboGrafx collection and is going for a full NES set.

Speaking of TurboGrafx/PC Engine, KidShoryuken's (Jim) latest game hunting video is on the PC Engine:

Retro Game Hunting in Akihabara (PC Engine Edition)

I hadn't planned to get any more retro consoles but will likely pickup a PC Engine Duo R/RX next time I go to Japan. I was just there in May but only had so much bag space and was focusing on 3DO (got a FZ-10, arcade sticks, various controllers and a ton of games) and various Nintendo stuff.

Vanne likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

PC Engine is getting a mini, maybe get that instead?

10. melatonin

melatonin Member

Just watched a few, reminds me of bill burr, but video games.

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

his latest video on source code is pretty cool too.

Vanne likes this.
  12. melatonin

melatonin Member

"yeah here is my diablo switch port download it whatever, something something final fantasy 8"

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

can't wait to watch these, had a quick flick looks very interesting.

breech, melatonin and elvis like this.
  14. elvis

Video triggered me hard. Every time I hear about source code or file loss I get shitty. Rant, rant, rant.

And I know it wasn't intended, but there was a bit of a "we didn't have cloud and GitHub back then so how could we?" overtone to some of the comments. (I know for a fact that Mr MVG knows better than that - it was just the choice of words that made it sound that way).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Beaten by power.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  16. bester

bester Member

Hi, all of my consoles are originals (modified for hdmi/rgb) and re-capped where needed. For me the original hardware is part of the experience/fun, sometimes I enjoy that side as much as playing the games themselves.

Will check out the reviews on the PC Engine Mini though (cheers), hopefully it's good.

17. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Retro PC wonderland! The most ridiculous warehouse Ive seen, shame its not Australia:upset:.

GumbyNoTalent and Flamin Joe like this.
  18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I had to stop watching that - the camera kept wandering past things that I physically needed to investigate more closely. It was hurting me :lol:

I do like that LGR, proper nerdy but actually personable and entertaining at the same time - it's a fine line to walk.

DonutKing likes this.
  19. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Client from LGR is definitely one of the few fellas on my short list of people I would buy a beer for.

Between Retro Recipes with that Team17 A4000 with all the WORMS stuff on it, and Clint's mysterious Sierra external hard disk - I'm hoping some cool historical stuff is going to get released in the near future...

20. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've been following (well I should really say punishing myself) for the past month or so with the going's on the at the Computer Reset Facebook group. The piles of stuff that is coming out of their which you suspect are at bargain basement prices makes you green with envy. :sick::shock: It's one of the rare times I actually wished I lived in America!

The sheer amount of stuff in there is mind boggling and they quite literally have EVERYTHING. If it was sold in the US in the last 30+ years, it's somewhere in that pile! No exaggeration. And keep in mind LGR went there sometime after this first came about and you can still see the amount of the stuff that is there! It quite literally is a Retro Goldmine.

The follow on effect which we can all benefit from in a way is that a lot of this stuff that would of otherwise been sitting their collecting more dust is filtering it's way onto eBay and other sites. Naturally there is a going to be a bit of price gouging from opportunists but the shear volume and variety of components I've seen appear in some of my regular searches has been great. Hopefully with more and more stuff appearing online it will help to keep the prices reasonable.

breech likes this.