Best router for Share House QoS

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by NSanity, Feb 24, 2017.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

Scenario - Dickhead housemates with torrents.
    Desire - play games with good latency, but let the torrents work.
    Have - Ubiquiti Unifi Aps' everywhere and Telstra FTTN 100/40.
    User - smart home user
    Budget - upto $500 if it works and is easy.

So basically just something with either WAN in or a VDSL modem and GbE Out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. scips

scips Member

draytek130 or netgear200 + pfsense?

3. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

pfsense is not for smart home users :/

4. scips

scips Member

Assumed you'd set it up mostly :Pirate:

Actually pretty easy interface these days, I remember looking at it like 10 years ago and backing away and just getting a billion all in one :p

Why not a Ubiquiti edgerouter/Security gateway with one of the above standalone vdsl modems?
    The security gateway ties into the unifi controller software as well so would be an ok choice

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I used to use pfsense and qos the fuck out of my housemates.

Personally these days I'd just have a web torrent interface (and usenet) and a fileserver it downloads to, and ask them all to respect the schedules and behave nicely. If they can actually see the nature of the problem themselves they'll probably play nicely, and it makes it work for everyone. Plus it makes it always-on, and means their machines dont have to be on whilst leaching

6. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

ipfire = many wins.. many many wins.

7. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

so I've been reviewing this - and I'm really hesitant to drop a pf/ipfire/vyos box in at his place. Its messy until its expensive.

That said, I've been reading good things about the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

The box reckons it will do 1 million packets (its got hardware acceleration for most tasks), and various people are claiming that even when you apply L7 QoS (which doesn't have hw accel), you still will punch 200-250mbit.

There is a GUI for basic tasks (e.g pppoe setup, port forwards etc), but the CLI is a full blown VyOS box - supporting openvpn, QoS, etc.

Thoughts? Has anyone played with one?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

All I would suggest is you get more then you think or they claim you need.

My experience is routers handle a lot less then advertised when QoS is involved.

9. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

I'm running a ERL-3 on 100/40 fibre.
    I'm not doing any QoS however, as I'm the sole torrent user and gamer. wife and child stream netflix/youtube but that only uses 4-5mbit max so hardly makes dent in bandwidth.
    Very nice little router.

10. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

yeah, the 200-250mbit number is "what people talk about", not what the vendor advertises....

11. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I haven't tested an ERL3 in that particular style of environment, but I have it in a live business environment, with a 20/20 service at the front, around 30 computers and I don't even know how many mobiles.

I mean.. in reality, they are about $120 and you'd probablyjust as quick resell it if it doesn't work

Or check the forsale thread..

12. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

13. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

14. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

15. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

It looks like the screenshots on the webpage, and it's good enough for me

16. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Are you happy with it otherwise?

17. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Yea, I'm happy with it. There does seem to be somewhat of an issue with USB thumbs carking in some of them (which can be repaired using emrk) or replaced, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm tossing up whether to use my second at home once NBN rolls around, or just to get a USG

18. splbound

splbound Member

I'm running an ERL3 connected to a HG612 VDSL2 80/20 connection.
    My sync speeds are about 55/16 due to distance from node.

For QOS I use Fq-Codel on the upstream. Have had no slowdown issues with running torrents, streaming, voip, browsing etc. concurrently. QOS makes a very noticeable difference with net usability in my case especially when the torrents are running full speed. I may be at the limit of QOS for the ERL3 so faster connections will probably need something beefier to make the most of them.

Otherwise, Very happy with mine. Has never crashed\locked up on me.

I heard about the usb thumbs dying in them and have replaced mine. Kept the original one as a spare and even an image of the thumb drive as backup.

19. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

This is very useful advice. Having fq_codel in your router makes a huge difference compared to QOS schemes present in many routers.

Assuming you use something like IPFire, Gargoyle or OpenWRT.. the only thing you need to configure for fq_codel to work well is your upload/download speeds.

Even if you don't configure the up/down rates you still get the benefit of fair queueing (fq), as queued packets are grouped into flows, and each flow is serviced with equal importance (rather than first in first out).

Unfortunately QOS is used as a blanket term, meaning a lot of different things (algorithms and values) are used depending on the manufacturers choices. Most of the time this means packet shaping and classification into priority queues based on protocol/DSCP markings. These schemes work to mask however not prevent the cause of high latency. eg. prioritising VOIP traffic, however not doing anything to prevent high latency on other traffic

I myself use Cake, which is an improved version of fq_codel. Cake allows me to do fairness based on IP source and destination pairs, regardless of how many connections are made being.

As an example, I could have 1 machine a running a large download, over 10 HTTP connections pulling say 80Mbit total, then another PC starts up steam to download a big update. This will see an immediate reduction of the first persons 10 streams to ~40Mbit which the steam user would receive ~40Mbit on their single download stream. When either PC finishes their download, the full bandwidth is made available to the other PC.

20. Wynne

Wynne Member

Agree with all this. Strongly.

Have been running an EdgeMax lite at my parents house for years, one at mine for a year or so less and flicked another one on to one of my work colleagues a couple of years ago and all working well.

Work colleague is a Dev but not a network engineer and got it all going on his own, the other two i set up with Fq-codel QoS and a few other things at the vyos CLi (zone based dns forwarding for example) which you probably won't need in this scenario.

Re: real world speeds I also used the one i had lying around to test a newly commissioned TPG fibre 100mb connection and saw full speed through the the edgemax with my normal config. Really wanted to try it out on a fibre 400 but wasn't fast enough :D

So I think the only reason it wouldn't be quite right for you is if the GUI isn't quite usable enough to stop your mate calling you :)