Best tough camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DarkSlayer1666, May 9, 2019.

1. DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

I'm looking to replace my ancient Panasonic tough camera as it's on its last legs and would like to find out which is best.
    I've pretty much narrowed it down to either:-
    - Olympus Tough TG-5
    - Gopro Hero Black 7

I know the Gopro is designed for video but apparently the latest version has significantly improved the still photo ability, especially with the Linear Mode which removes most of the fish-eye effect.

My main uses are:-
    - Photos - portrait, landscape etc etc. basically any normal photo
    - Underwater photos and video - both snorkelling and scuba diving (with case if needed)

Does anyone have any feedback on either of the two cameras above or another one?
    Budget isn't really an issue however portability is as I want to be able to put it in my pocket when wandering around.

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

I don't think the Gopro is a great solution if your primary usage is photos. I've got a Gopro Hero 7 Black and recently played around with it during a recent trip and its OK for doing video, but photos... yeah, its meant to be a video camera is what I'll say. I think the control method would drive you nuts pretty quickly wanting to take photos as your primary thing. The quality of the photos is quite good though.

Unrelated use case, but I will say the genuine suction cup mount is excellent.. stuck on the bonnet of my Forester driving down heavily corrugated dirt roads at decent speeds and did not budge an inch.

3. OP
    OP
    DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

Thanks for the feedback. When you say the control method, I thought the GoPro had a dedicated button the top that works for taking photos/video?

4. Hater

Hater Member

GoPro's are shite in anything except for super good lighting. They are not made to be used as a still camera. It's just a side effect of such small sensor sizes etc.

Eh, lost mine off the side and broke my ND filter I did off a mates Commodore.

How tough is tough? I gave my old PowerShot S110 hell, it was fine. I dunno, you might be using the camera in a blast shelter for all I know :D

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Yeah, but you take it out, turn it on, it defaults to video mode, you scroll the touch screen which is quite small and get it into the mode to take photos, and then you press the top button. You can't leave it in standby all the time as it drains the battery way more than a P&S does. It would just be clunky asf to try to use as a photo camera and its still not a fantastic photo camera, especially for $600.

Something like the Nikon Coolpix W300 may be worth looking at, similar cost to the Gopro but would be way better as a stills camera and seems to be pretty decent with video too - they show some underwater video sample from it on the Nikon web site.

Genuine mount or third-party? The roads I had it on the bonnet for were causing my Navman Dashcam stuck to the windscreen (on the inside of course) to have conniptions - making the bing-bong sound every few seconds to indicate the shock sensor had thought I'd had an accident and it was recording in emergency video mode. Hell, the built-in bloody Satnav in my Forester was bombing out intermittently on the rough roads complaining about not being able to read the maps from its Micro-SD card, but the Gopro didn't budge an inch.

6. OP
    OP
    DarkSlayer1666

DarkSlayer1666 Member

Thanks heaps for the explanation. I'm convinced now to get a P&S

Do you rate the Nikon? From most articles I've read, the Olympus seems to be the one to go.
    I want a camera that I don't have to worry about and can go snorkeling without having to use a case. Obviously I'd use a case when diving below 30m but photos without a flash are crap at that depth anyway.

7. Hater

Hater Member

Genuine, smooth roads. I'd used it previously on Go Karts etc so was pretty confident with it but nope.

Still used the footage in a video, so not all was wasted. heh.