Best value Mesh?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by wolfie81, Feb 17, 2020.

1. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Looking at stepping up to a Mesh WIFI over my current Airport Time Capsule rom Apple (which has been very reliable). Time has come where other rooms need more WIFI oomph.

Im ok with spending big money, what I'm looking for is value/features. Ive been looking at this WIFI 6 stuff, but unsure if there are any real tangible benefits for regular users in Australia. Currently on NBN 100/40 so maybe I'm short sighted but what's the point if WIFI systems goes over 1000Mbps?

On one hand, I don't want to spend big money only to buy another MESH within a few years, so maybe I'm better off going for WIFI 6 even though only only the iPhone 11 devices at home work on it.
    Home is slowly converting to Smart home, with about 20-25 devices (many through Phillips Home hub).

Been eyeing off the Linksy Evelop TriMesh system x3, even though this is way overkill for our reasonably sized apartment, within the next 5 years I see us (partner and I) in a free standing home.

Buy WIFI 5 or WIFI 6? Im generally against Google and Amazon for privacy and principle reasons (Therefore Im an Apple/IOS user).

Thanks!

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

You DO know that Apple has just as much data on you as Google, right? And they hand the keys to user iCloud storage on demand from law enforcement.

Just sayin.

3. OP
    OP
    wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

That’s fine. They ain’t selling my data as easily to make money off me. Horses for courses.

4. Jazz

Jazz Member

Wifi 6 is a big investment up front, and you need to factor in the cost of upgrading all your devices. In a similar situation to you, and have been reading some good stuff about the NetGear Orbi range. Usually I would dismiss NetGear out of hand.

5. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

Manufacturers typically quote combined 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidth to get a "max" output. It is unlikely that you'll use 1000Mbps per device as the max quoted bandwidth is shared across devices connected to an AP per WIFI band.

Another vote for the Netgear Orbi range or even the Orbi Pro range.

6. OP
    OP
    wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I keep coming back to Linksys Velop range. It turns out they will soon be releasing HomeKit Secure firmware to this product line. Basically makes the smart home more secure against fun time hackers.
    Nothing for the Orbi range.

any experience/known reason not to go the Velop?

7. Jazz

Jazz Member

Orbi have bitdefender protection under the Armor name. They definetly lack in the fine grain user controls I have with my asus setup. They want you to subscribe to Circles by Disney.

8. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Have been looking at the TP-Link Deco M9's myself. Tri-band, parental controls, anti-virus/malware, home automation and what not.

I like that the nodes come with gigabit ethernet ports built in too.

9. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Sure they aren't.

ae00711 likes this.
  10. connico

connico Member

The nodes with gigabit ethernet ports are very nice when you want to connect a desktop that doesn't have a wifi card!

I use these in my home and there coverage is pretty decent. Speeds are decent as well.

11. OP
    OP
    wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Ended up getting Linksys Velop Triband x3 units for 450 (Apple/Jbhifi stores has them for 650) and the dual band x3 units for 200 (JbHiFi has them for 400).
    Both still brand new in box. Triband for my apartment, dual band for folks. At these prices couldn’t say no.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  12. Jazz

Jazz Member

Good price for the triband, able to share?

13. OP
    OP
    wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Got them off eBay.

First impressions, easy to setup, small compact sizes, for a simple consumer the app does all it needs with all the info I need. App is a little slow, but hardly an issue. My biggest gripe though is the power plug. Its a big fat square thing that blocks off access on power boards for other devices.Will need to buy double adapters to overcome this issue.
    Speeds are generally at, or near max (NBN 100/40) over wifi.

14. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

+1 TP Link Deco M9

15. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I still can’t stomach these wifi mesh systems. I’m more inclined to run a cable and install something like a UniFi AP.

I had the google mesh units at my folks place and they were terrible. I pulled them out and replaced with 3 cables Access Points. Happy Days now.

16. Jazper

Jazper Member

Which mesh units were they? I'm running the older mesh units and they're great.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I have the google wifi, and 99% of the time it’s fantastic. The other 1%, it drops for a few seconds every day at random times

18. OP
    OP
    wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Since this thread has been updated, ill chime in.
    Since installing, Ive had no issues except for a weird instance where I was logged out of the app and wouldn't register I was on the wifi network to log back in and see the details (the wifi was running perfectly fine at the time), Therefore I needed to power cycle the main node and was all good.
    Speeds are amazing, basically 100/40 everywhere in the apartment and out onto the main road some 30 metres way. Homekit Secure firmware still to come.
    Overall very pleased with it. Its been rock solid so far, looks great, though admittedly it isn't the best value mesh systems out there (made me feel better getting it for $450 and even then I feel its a little bit overpriced).

Got my parents the dual band x3 nodes for $200 and its been on point so far with nil issues and great range (though one node is hardwired to the main node as the distance was a little too far away for it to be effective just on wifi).

19. dead_man

dead_man Member

iv been looking at the tplink range
    mainly for the POE side of it. reduces cabling clutter and from what iv seen also gives a ethernet backhaul if set into AP mode instead of router mode

that or im going ubiquiti. they have some really nice POE AP's

20. koopz

koopz Member

meh...

standard TP-Link 3-pack from your local computer shop / Harveys / JB / whatever.

credit to TP-L here.. they do now perform like Ubiquiti units at a lower price range for the kit.

If you live in an apartment ( or run a buisness in a shopping centre ), your neighbour upstairs/downstairs/next door/whatever is going to start experiencing connection issues with their older IT equipment as you blast this wifi on the same channel they they were comfortably using.

Be nice - check channels and move yours away from your neighbours.

With very little work we can all get along together in harmony

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020