best way to backup 300g of steam games to dvds (4.7g) (only)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by issa2006, Jan 14, 2011.

1. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Member

I'm not sure if you guys understand, but he's talking about using 8 DVD burners at the same time and burning the DVD's at 16X or 8X, which he states would take him about 2.5 to 3 hours he says so he can just watch TV, that's really not that much time.

As I said before if I was going to do this I would just burn each games GCF to a DVD or if needed span the larger GCF's over say 2-3 dvd's in a Winrar archive. That way if one of your DVD's gets stuffed you only lose 1 game instead of all of them and you only have to download one game instead of spending the 15 days he says it takes to download them all atm.

2. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

1. Backup the STEAM folder
    2. Compress to ONE winrar
    3. Select options to span across to 4.5GB files
    4. Burn, ???, profit.

3. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

+1. I don't understand. Do you not have a job or something? You really need something better to do with your time. :rolleyes:

4. Foxster

Foxster Member

You've already been given all the information you need. You could use winrar or whatever to backup onto separate DVD's as you originally specified (either using steam backup or just backing up your steamapps folder direcly) and using 67 or more DVD's to do so (and possibly losing then entire backup if just one disc is faulty) or using an external HDD which is cheaper gig for gig than DVD's and just copying the entire steam folder to an external HDD for simplicity. Make a choice and go with it, don't just dismiss advice such as backing up to an external HDD just because you don't want to, give it some thought and make a decision based on more than a single minded thought of backing up to DVD.

5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

lol using 8 burners at a time to burn steam games on to DVD for backup purposes when:

1) You've got the games on your computer
    2) You've got them already on a seperate HDD
    3) You can download them again at ANY time if both option 1 and 2 fails.

what an absolute waste of time and money. If your going to bitch about everyone telling you it's a stupid idea, then go ahead and just burn the damn thing.

Keeping another copy of DVD backups is just a colossal fail. If your scared steams going to some day kill your account and you won't be able to re-download them again, your DVD backups probably won't save you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. Southead

Southead Member

OK since the OP does not listen to reason and, has way to much of simply everything on his hands (storage, dvd's, time etc) I will give the absolute best and possibly only way to backup 300gb to DVD's with parity backup for disk failure.

Step1 download and install Winrar
    Step2 download and install QuickPar
    Step3 Open Winrar, Navigate to your "Steamapps" folder and click add
    Step4 Click Browse and choose where you want to store your archive
    Step 5 Under Split to volumes, bytes click the dropdown box and choose DVD+R 4481mb
    Step 6 Click OK
    Step 7 Wait approx 300-900mins (1-3 mins per GB to compress and archive depending on HDD speed)
    Step 8 Open QuickPar
    Step 9 click Add Files, navigate to where you stored your archive and add all the .rar files
    Step 10 click Create
    Step 11 Wait approx 600-900mins (2-3 mins per GB of compute time - longer if you have a shit CPU)
    Step 12 Burn each .rar and .par file to a disk and store them in a cool dark place

This process will give you 6 additional disks of parity data that will enable you to rebuild 6 failed disks of your actual archive - should any of the parity disks fail your ability to rebuild the archive is reduced by 1 disk (approx).

Should more than 6 disks fail you are left with 66 coasters.

Total Time - 15 to 30 hrs of archiving and parity building and 3 hrs of burning (according to OP)

HF

Edit: Note to restore the archive you will need to copy it and the parity files back to a hdd to extract and/or rebuild it.

7. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Now for a fun comparison, write up the steps and time to back up to a new HDD :)

8. ysu

ysu Member

1.) click copy on the Steam Games Dir
    2.) Open a Beer
    3.) Finish the Beer
    4.) Get an icecream
    5.) finish that one as well
    6.) if still not done, repeat 4/5. In about half an hour you should be done.
    ...it's still a lot to do! :D

9. Southead

Southead Member

Ice cream on top of Beer - are you insane?

10. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

Yeah, gotta be the other way around. Ice cream, then beer!

11. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

Don't you need to 'paste' the directory onto the other hard drive?

12. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

Mate, save the time or money and just guy a external HDD

for $99 u can get a Samsung 1TB 2.5 drive from Harvey Norman. Or u can get a 500G 2.5 from officeworks for around $50 or so

This will save u time, money and the headache of burning everything to DVD. Its just not worth the hassle or trouble

Its gonna use around 65+ DVD-s or so, yes it will only cost ya around $15, but it will cost ya the headache if a disc doesnt burn properly or the disc gets damaged.

Get a External HDD, backup frequently and u wont have a proiblem. My steam folder is around 50G, and i just copy it to ext hdd once a week or so just for backup..:D

13. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

What i can't fathom, and what i suggested, was that you backup each game individually to a folder on your hd.. then do a restore and see if it worked.. if it didn't, redo it.. and then burn all the successful ones to dvds..

you've already verified it, why should it fail when burning onto a dvd..

if you're still grabbing straws at arguments that don't exist, then please stop wasting everyone elses time..

14. Ulan

Ulan Member

As op is hell bent on using his ph4t 8-bay dvd burning array that burns 300gb in the time it takes to watch Back To The Future 2, then his question has been answered by Southead's awesome post. Best you can hope for is a thank you post.

15. OP
    OP
    issa2006

issa2006 Member

thanks southhead...

(im broke with lots of time(low work in jan)..but it wont take long.. and good quality dvd will out last a hdd in use/not in use.

i do have in blue ray blanks
    1xblue ray 50g re-writable
    1x50g write once
    2x25g re-writable
    1x25g write once
    100x verb lightscribe dvd (4.7g)
    5x dl 8g dvd
    thats all iv got(cant buy any-broke-)

could make use of the blue ray+dvds(one 1 blue ray burner x6)

iv got both..software

but do i need to use the quickpar?

does winrar have a protect archive...that you can set at 10%

should i just use the built in protection at 10% or quickpar

or leave the default % in winrar and use quickpar?

1) use winrar with 10% for protect archive

2) use winrar with 10% for protect archive + quickpar

3) use winrar with default% for protect archive + quickpar

16. Southead

Southead Member

I have a feeling QuickPar is faster at creating parity volumes than Winrar but I may be wrong. For me personally I would use Quickpar and disable the recovery volumes on Winrar so either 3 or disbale the recovery volumes in the advanced options menu.

17. Hive

Hive Member

1st things first.

Grow up.

2nd, HDD's are tenfold more reliable than a DVD. why the hell would you want to spend all this time building DVD's when a single HDD would suffice. you basically want a library of 80 DVDs hoping none die or the entire library is gone.

18. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

STEAM backup is totally reliable IF you backup games individually.

You will lose a bit of capacity on your last disc, but apart from that it's quite neat.

But as everyone else has said, a HDD is so much easier :p

19. Ic3man

Ic3man Member

just a quick question.. what happens if steam updates one of your 1bajillion steam games that take up 300gb..
    Are you going to burn it all over again so you have that patch?

20. zerassar

zerassar Member

This would have been my first though. It would isolate the problem from being an issue with the steam archive/backup process compared to a problem with nero or the optical drive itself...

Do the above mate. Reading what you have said makes me more inclined to believe its your nero/optical drive.

Might suggest trying a different buring program? cdburnerxp and imgburn are two great free examples.
    Have you updated the firmware on your optical drives since you got them?