Best way to backup digital photos

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by aussie-revhead, Nov 27, 2015.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, we all have photos on our computers, some of us have heaps, my missus has years worth so I would like to know what the best way is to back them up. I toyed with the idea of an add-on raid setup but I was concerned about issues rebuilding the array if a drive dies (or the raid car dies). I bought a 2 channel NAS for this but one channel died so this has brought this issue back to my attention. What do you guys do to save and store your digital photos? What is the best method to set up an automated backup? I guess burning to DVD or BlueRay is the surest safe backup? Do you keep them foldered by date? How do you prevent from backing up the same picture multiple times?

Any help would be great.

:thumbup:

2. firey4059

firey4059 Member

Backing up photos

I had this conversation with WolfmanOz just a couple of days ago and he recommended cloud storage. It's going to take a bit for me to accept this, but he was adamant that this is the way of the future with digital photos as the individual files/photos are so big.

3. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

I run multiple N54L's, with primary server being mirrored to the second server once every 2 weeks (still a risk of data loss but I accept that risk). I also have multiple cold storage hard drives stored offsite incase the proverbial really really hits the fan.

I'd suggest working out what is most important for you, and working from there. If you're worried about raid cards dying, then going one of the linux type environments will help offset that to a large degree (had a server die many years ago - imported the pool onto a new system and was up and readable again within a reasonable timeframe), but it depends on how hands on you want to be. If you want set and forget type, Synology would be my pick for a set and forget type off the shelf nas. Then work out your backup routine.

Just my 2c worth :)

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I dont like the idea of uploading every photo we have to the net ....

:Pirate:

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For me I think there is too much risk there, but if I was to use it I'd be using it in conjunction with other forms of backup simultaneously.

6. Diode

Diode Member

I would avoid using any RAID setups if you can for backup. It reduces any complications with restores should you need to just take a disk and plug it in. The more copies you have the better your chances of survival.

For my photos I have 3 copies. I have 2 HDD's in my PC which contain them. I then snap shot the internal drives (Windows shadow copy) that way I have some sort of versioning control and double protected against accidental deletion on the active and backup copies. Then I also have an external USB which I periodically plug in (when I have new photos) and run a backup to. This is my easily portable external offline copy.

With this setup I'm reasonably safe against, HDD failure, accidental deletion and theft. To a degree my photos could be safe against fire if I were able to whiz out the home with the little portable drive, though honestly I doubt I would be clear thinking enough to do this. If I wanted to be safe from fire cloud backup really would be the way. The only reason I don't do cloud backup is ADSL upload is too slow.

I personally would feel safe with cloud backup as long as it's all encrypted as it gets put up into the cloud. It's up to you whether you trust the cloud services encryption or you feel the need to encrypt it before you upload it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. kaotickelly

kaotickelly Member

I second this. My routine is similar:

1. Main computer have two drives in RAID 1 (mirrored), all photos go here first.
    2. Secondary computer have two drives in RAID 0 purely for capacity purposes. Photos are copied here using FreeSync weekly. In event of main computer failure read speed from this comp to restore main would be pretty good too.
    3. One USB 3 portable drive that I connect to main computer and sync using FreeSync weekly.

No cloud backup, though I will when I get better upload speed than ADSL 2+ offers. Probably to Amazon S3 and then Glacier for older files.

This way I'm protected for single disk failure in main computer, and have two external copies, but no versioning capability, though that's not critical to me and my workflow (I rarely delete, and all photo edits are non-sestructive).

Good luck with your build.

8. alch

alch Member

Anything to get ya post count up huh douchebag? Didnt even add to the OPs original question.

Offline HDDs work for me... Fire safe for added protection... Fire safe and bank vault storage for that triple condom+spermicide effect.
    But they arnt just photos ;)

9. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Any particular reason?

I backup to a separate hard drive and Flickr, which has 1TB free. The app syncs my folders automatically

10. giles666

giles666 Member

I have everything on iCloud Photo Library, Google Photos and SmugMug.

They all upload automatically so no real work required and I figure three copies on three different services is pretty safe.

11. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

LTO5 Backup tape.

Tapes are relatively cheap I have copies at my house and post new ones to my parents every now and again. I tend to pick tapes at Christmas and reuse them, parents live in Sydney in in Melbourne so don't get up there that often

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it's because you're effectively putting absolutely critical information out of your control. If you have multiple backups with some directly under your control, as well as online that would be a good strategy : )