Best way to backup/store ~100 full DVD's? (not talking movies)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Daveee, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Daveee

Daveee Member

I have about ~100 DVD's now of data I have removed from my main PC. Lots of personal pictures/videos and other work related documents, yada yada yada. (Nothing illegal).

I realise DVD/CD media does not last forever and don't want to try and retrieve something in the future only to have the DVD not read. What would be the best way to back these up with a plan not to have to do anything for 5-10 years? Longer if possible.

I was thinking the easiest way would be to buy a 500gb drive and copy them over one by one then store that HDD in a safe place? Any other ideas? I don't really see much alternative.

2. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

5 1/4 inch floppies

yeah hdd's look to be the best option, maybe in a RAID array, 5 or 1+0

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

If its really that important... Try picking up a SDLT or LTO tape drive 2nd hand.

LTO tapes have a 30 year archival life.

If its not, why are you even bothering to post this?

4. OP
    OP
    Daveee

Daveee Member

Yeah. Good one. So data either has to be so important that you store it for 30 years or it is so unimportant you are happy to never see it again. Lol. Get a grip mate. :rolleyes:

Some people like to plan a little in advance so they don't lose important documents and have to waste hours getting the data back.... I guess you are not one. And that's before we even consider the advances in storage technology in the next 30 years. :o

Anyway, should there be any problems storing a HDD for 10 years?

5. khangu

khangu Member

Hard drives are so cheap these days, I would keep one copy on my computer, and another on an external hard drive.

And keep backing up to the external hard drive every week or month.

If you are really paranoid, you can keep a third copy on another external hard drive and do back-ups to them alternatively.

I imagine it'll be a better bet than keeping your data on DVDs. If you keep on using the hard drive and backing up with it, I can't imagine why it shouldn't last 10 years.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  6. OP
    OP
    Daveee

Daveee Member

Yeah the way I am setup is I have a lot of data I am happy to loose, within reason. These are on my 2 x 320gb HDD's. I have a weekly backup of my most critical data from these drives to a 160gb HDD which gets used solely as backup.

Then on top of this I have these 100 DVD's I want to do something more permanent with. Sounds like a HDD is the go that I will store in a safe location. It's just that 'longer-term' storage is not normally spoken about so I thought I would try and get a heads up.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

No. If you don't think burnt CD or DVD media is good enough, then Tape is the next option. Note i said to use a 2nd hand drive from ebay or what have you.

Good luck finding a SATA (or whatever you choose to use) connection in 10 years. Its already getting hard to get an IDE controllers. Remember you'll probably turn your current pc over 3 times in that period.

You're dealing with consumer grade storage, which means that if your "backup" box or what have you has a hardware failure - You need to buy another second hand product in the hope of getting your stuff back.

Might as well go with an industry proven archival format, that is designed for exactly what you want to do. 100 dvd's is a sizable amount of data, and Tape is designed for exactly what you want to do.

Being that 1000's of businesses have substantial (read billions) investment in Tape, you'll find that you'll be able to get your data with Zero fuss, regardless of if the hardware you use today to back it up dies.

8. OP
    OP
    Daveee

Daveee Member

Ok, I don't want to start a huge fight so will try to ask some civil questions;

In relation to a tape setup, enlighten me, how much is it going to cost me for the drive and how expensive are the tapes. Looking not to spend more than $500, tops. What are storage requirements of the tapes?

Like I said, the data is important to me, but not to the point where I can justify big $$$.

Secondly, do you really think we won't be able to find a SATA connection in 10 years? I find this very hard to believe. My new mobo still has an IDE connetion on it and SATA has already been around a fair while. Even if a new format comes out I don't see how all SATA connections could dry up in 10 years. I don't really see this as a reason not to use a SATA drive.

9. khangu

khangu Member

RE. Tape.

I would beg to differ on the use of tape for a home consumer.

Large corporations use them because they have the money to invest in the personnel to maintaining the tape back-up.

But I've been in many smaller companies that used tape back-up and over time the tapes become incompatible and the knowledge on using them effectively is often lost.

As to technology evolving, I would say that it'll be as easy as transfering data from an IDE hard drive to a SATA hard drive. Now that's a lot easier than trying to get data off a tape in five years time.

The thing with back-ups is that you shouldn't try to view *any* back-up medium as a permanent solution. Over time, your digital data should be progressively moved onto new storage devices.

In the short term, I would go with a cost-effective and convenient back-up storage solution, rather than look for a permanent solution which does not exist.

10. jboles

jboles Member

Go for 2x 500gb drives, and keep one in your office and one in a safe deposit box.... tape is not cost effective for your uses. Especially when you discover in 10 years that your tape drive has broken and you have to track down a compatible replacement.

SATA will be still here in 10 years.... today's tape standards will be long obsolete.

11. OP
    OP
    Daveee

Daveee Member

That's what I thought originally. Thanks.

12. trasher

trasher Member

Don't mean to hijack - but where do I go to get a safe deposit box? And roughly how much are they? Only ever seen them in the movies lol

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

archival grade dvd media ^^

14. jboles

jboles Member

Exactly... even if motherboards have moved on from SATA in 10 years (extremely unlikely), a SATA card is going to be MUCH cheaper and more plentiful (both new and 2nd hand) than a tape drive.

trasher: your bank.

15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

We're talking about what, 400-800 GB of data here? How many tapes is that? What kind of expense is involved?

You will not get away with a tape storage setup for 400-800 GB of data for anywhere near $500. Get a couple of hard drives.

:thumbup:

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Someone doesn't realise just how big the disconnected backup market is...

Well.. whilst the LTO Roadmap is open and on display for all to view, starting back in 2000 with support for newer drives to read 2 revisions behind I think you're in safe hands if you choose LTO.

DLT history Shows that we have a long history of tape formats. I suggested SDLT (for size reasons) and the Media compatibility chart from our mates at quantum shows that my SDLT 320 tape released in 2002, is still perfectly readable in 2006 by the later DLT-S4 drives. For history's sake I can read DLT4000 tapes released WAY back in 1994, in my SDLT320 Drive - Which I can still purchase today, new.

SATA on the other hand isn't public about their roadmaps. They simply specify that

They don't mention anything about connector or cable changes, nor do they mention anything about using SATA drives as a medium to archive.

I'm not raining on SATA's parade - not at all. I just believe that if you're going to do something right - and it sounds like you want to - You might as well not do it half assed. You are talking about using a Storage medium that is designed to be permanently connected over a 3-5 year lifespan, VS using one that is designed to be disconnected and archived over period for up to 30 years.

There is no contest. I simply wouldn't bother doing anything else if you think that DVD's are not reliable enough over time.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Member

slate punch-cards

18. OP
    OP
    Daveee

Daveee Member

:D

Nsanity, how much would one of these setups you suggest for ~500GB of data cost?

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

New? Alot.

2nd Hand - cheap.

I know people who have picked up LTO2 drives for < $500. Then you just need a scsi card, cable and terminator.

Media (new) is cheap too. LTO2 tapes (200/400gb - realistically 350gbish) are around $40-50 a tape.

Doesn't seem to be anything on Ebay right now, but i'd check around the IT auction sites and ex-government.

Its a fair hit initially - granted, but media cost is pretty low.

20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Jboles gets the win :thumbup: :thumbup:

Get 2 x 500gb hard drives.. make 2 copies onto each drive. Store 1 at your place and then store the other at a mates place (off site backup). Each 1-2 years, copy the data off the drive(s), format and recopy/verify the data. At some point in the future (say 3-5 years), the drives will probably start to fail, so you should back the data up onto another drive. Possibly format the drives in something very generic like FAT32, that way its saved in the lowest common format that is universally readable.