Best way to convert long youtube video to audio

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by antipody, Jul 7, 2013.

1. antipody

antipody Member

Want to as quickly as possible do this, preferably between two time points that can be sent with the url.

Checking google now, but most of the top its I get say it's either too long, ask me to install a java applet or just don't work.

Thought I'd see if anyone here has done something similar. What's the fastest way to do this with, say a 2hr+ video?

(Hope this is the right forum, not sure where to post this, but I thought it might be possible from my ubuntu terminal somehow...)

Edit - http://mp3ify.com/ appears to have created a 250MB file I'm downloading now, so fingers crossed...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

I use dirpy, never tried it for anything other than music files.

For a decent choice of video/audio rippers type "pwn" before the word YouTube, or dump the link to pwnyoutube.

3. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Both mp3ify and convertmemp3.com appear to have worked(250MB for the former, 130MB for the latter), although pwnyoutube seems like the best solutiuon by far... going to have to grab it in a video format on that one now - thx!

4. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

JDownloader

5. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

1. First, make a local copy of the YouTube video in question using a tool such as ClipGrab.
    2. Now download MPlayer for your OS platform.
    3. Now open a terminal and tell MPlayer to play the video and dump out the audio track into a separate WAV file:

Code:
      mplayer -vc null -vo null -nocorrect-pts -ao pcm:fast:waveheader MyYouTubeVideo.MP4

...the WAV file will be named audiodump.wav in the same directory.
    4. Now use a tool such as Audacity to convert that WAV file into your preferred format such as FLAC, OGG or MP3.
    5. Pat yourself on the back.

6. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Why on earth would you transcode from a lossy source :p

7. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

He wanted a solution - I gave him one. Personally I never rely on YouTube for getting music.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Youtube is always only the very very last resort for me if I cannot get it elsewhere.

9. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Because that's the only source of the file I wanted to listen to. It's not music, just a lecture, so not too concerned about quality.

Thanks for the posts, some great solutions here. :thumbup:

10. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

I only say it because JDownloader afaik rips the audio directly from the container, rather than transcoding on the fly like most websites/that technique.

11. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Even modify this by using -dumpaudio to dump the audio stream, but this doesn't work all that great for AAC audio. More reliable is ffmpeg with the 'copy' codec. Just make sure that you dump whatever the audio is to the correct container.