Best way to print cards like MTG

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by shiny1, Jul 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

I am cheap and I can't justify buying $10 rares. (I require something like 8 rares which costs around $10).
    The rest of the deck is dirt cheap, at less than $0.30 each. I can buy those, but not the rares.

So I have gone for the cheap method: proxies!
    I plan to print them out. However, I have seen some dodgy printed version of cards. They're poorly done and look so bad.

Anyway, I was thinking, what's the best way to print something so it looks as good as possible? Like using photo paper, larger resolutions, better printers?

2. mikloise

mikloise Member

Why dont you visit a print store with a card and ask them how much it would cost to make something similar. I'm sure that for $10 you could make 6 cards per A4 sheet if not more I don't know the size.

3. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Proxies in MTG are not allowed to be reproductions of the card.

Additionally, it is a breach of intellectual property and most copy shops will refuse to do it. You are also unlikely to ever get a scan that is the same quality as the file they use for printing originals.

You have to use a regular MTG card in a sleeve with a plain white print out of the card text.

Keep in mind most tournaments do not allow proxies and many players refuse to play a person whom uses proxies. Otherwise you'd just proxy up a power-9 deck and ca-blammo.

Then again, I refuse to play douche bags with $1500 decks anyway ;)

4. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

Yeah I know what you mean.
    Basically I'm creating a deck based on one I found on www.essentialmagic.com and the entire deck is worth $80. That's a lot for me, and the real bummer is that only the 2 sets of 4 rares make up the most of the deck's cost. That is, every other card has a value of $10 (commons). The 8 rares cost about $70 altogether, which sucks.

My friends have printed them before. They printed them on A4 paper, put a useless card in a sleeve, and the A4 in front of it. Problem was it looked heaps dodgy. The picture quality is grainy and generally ugly. I'm wondering if I use photo paper or something, would it look better?

5. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

You will never get the same print quality as MTG cards....I've been in your situation.

6. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

How bad does it look? I don't mind it that much, as long as it's not hugely pixelated.

How do you set the printer to card size anyway?

7. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

quailty colour photocopier. I went to some print place in the city (adel) YEARS ago and cost $2 per page.. 6 per page.. done.. This is over 12 years ago now.

I had a bunch of rares a mate wanted, and he had some i wanted.. BUT we didnt wanna trade to break our decks.. A few of us got a bunch of copies done. Stuck them to land so they had the proper back, put in a sleeve, you seriously couldnt tell the difference. Even went into comps with em and no one was the wiser.. thats how convincing they were.

Oh how we pissed people off. No one ever found out.. Until i quit playing and told everyone.. the next comp i heard each deck was "inspected" by the other player / judges.. was freakin classic. Wish i was there to watch the chaos. (heh, i had a chaos orb too.)

8. oculi

oculi Member

what the fuck are you guys talking about?

9. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

going back 6 or 7 years ago my mates made copies of 15 - 20 tournaments decks that were all the shite at the time.

They were pretty damn good copies as in it wasn't immediately apparent that they weren't the real deal. I think they got the Pictures/Cards off an online Magic directory or something along those lines as they where definitely cards they didn't own. I'll attempt to find out for you how they did it for you.

edit: my mates just used a color laser printer and put them over land in a plastic sleeve.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  10. icebreaka

icebreaka Member

11. swong

swong Member

Other than having the printers that wizards use, the best way is to have a NM original card and put it through a good colour photocopier with matte/glossy paper, then stick it on a real card.

I've used fake underground seas, trops and tundras this way before in tournaments. If you do it right, you can't tell the difference when it's sleeved. Don't try this at nationals though :D

12. Alper

Alper Member

+1 im horrified but intrigued at the same time!

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I thought proxies were only allowed, if you actually own the card? The whole idea is so you don't have to play with the real one due to the value. You still have to show people the real one that's in your file or something.

14. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

magic the gathering = card game, with a few thousand collectable cards (think baseball cards)
    a card's value on the market can range from 10 cents to a few thousand dollars.
    OP wants to forge some cards because he doesn't want to pay for them.

cbf starting a flame war so i'll avoid using flame-inciting words. but for the record i'm against it because it's nothing short of cheating, if you're playing competitively (if it's with friends then go for it). why not just find the #1 in the world player's deck and replicate it, and bring it to a local tourny to wipe away everyone? i'm sure there's a rule saying you can't use fake cards... so if yuo're found chances are you'll be booted off the tourny. wasted entry fee + time + you look like a dong.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  15. StewartX

StewartX Member

After MTG books

Hey guys,

Thought I'd try my luck again with the books, anyone got these MTG books that they'd want to part with?
    I'd only want to pay $5 average per book (inc shipping in that average) so bulk is better and as you can see I'm not a big spender...

Thanks

Books I'm after
    The Cursed Land (1995) by Teri McLaren
    Ashes of the Sun (1996) by Hanovi Braddock (Bruce Holland Rogers)
    Dark Legacy (1996) by Robert E Vardeman
    Gerrard's Quest (1999) by Mike Grell, Pop Mhan, and Norman Le
    Tapestries (1995) by Kathy Ice
    The Colors of Magic (1999) by Jess LeBow
    The Myths of Magic (1993) by Jess LeBow
    The Monsters of Magic (2003) by J Robert King
    Nemesis (2000) by Paul B. Thompson
    Prophecy (2000) by Vance Moore
    Invasion (2000) by J Robert King
    Planeshift (2001) by J Robert King
    Apocalypse (2001) by J Robert King
    Judgement (2002) by Will McDermott
    Hazezon (2002) by Clayton Emery
    Assassin's Blade (2002) by Scott McGough
    Champion's Trial (2003) by Scott McGough
    Scourge (2003) by J Robert King
    Agents of Artifice (2009) by Ari Marmell
    Alara Unbroken (2009) by Doug Beyer

SHIPPING COSTS
    Please use registered post. A package that can hold 10 books will be $12.70.
    Service from Australia Post http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/
    3kg Parcel Post Satchel
    Postal Charge $9.90 + Registered Post $2.80 = Total Charge $12.70

16. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

I remember when i had decks worth a few hundred dollars. 80 for a deck is pretty damn good.

17. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

To date, there are 12,000+ Magic cards, with the most expensive card being an Alpha edition Black Lotus - at $4000 US (from www.mtgfanatic.com)

I do not play at tournaments, I play casually at a friend's house. I know better than to 'cheat'.

$80 is considered good/inexpensive if you play amongst tournament quality decks. For me, I cannot justify paying that much money just to play at home with a friend who probably doesn't care about the integrity of the card. I am too cheap to buy $10 cards, but not cheap enough to just write it on a piece of paper and use that to play with lol.

18. oculi

oculi Member

oh, so like Yu-Gi-Oh! ?

19. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

Similar, yes. But Magic is more advanced and artistic than the child's game you call Yu Gi Oh.

But in the end, card games are generally shunned upon by the general public as a kid's game :tongue:

20. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

no harm done :)