Best way to put paste on your CPU?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by goodguy82, Jan 20, 2010.

1. goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

Im sure this question has been ask many times but what's the best way to apply paste on your CPU for best performance?

I normally just squeeze a rice grain of paste in the middle of the CPU and whack my cooler onto without spreading the paste :confused:

Is there a proper way or better way?

2. core2dubious

core2dubious Member

for dual cores you can put a grain of rice portion thermal paste on the centre and use a plastic bag or plastic gloves to spread it all over the surface, for quad cores you use a thin line of paste over the cores and just pop the heatsink on.

3. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

Thats the method I stick with, you can also use the line method but I find the rice grain in the middle the best, apply adequate pressure firmly placing and sliding the cooler a bit, making sure its spread out.

4. OP
    OP
    goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

Back in the days i would put 4 rice grains on my cpu..This was back in the amd athlon thunderbird cpu's :Paranoid:(newbee)

thanks guys :thumbup:

5. TMM

TMM Member

4 rice grains would barely even fit on an exposed core lol.

6. OP
    OP
    goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

well thats what i did with my first athlon 700mhz. Didnt know wtf i was doing and squeezed 4 grains on the cooler..Still works fine though!

7. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

Its probably about half a chickpea rather than a rice grain. About a 4mm dab

8. OP
    OP
    goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

sorry over exaggerated, its actually 2 rice grains to be precised.

So by spreading the paste all over the cpu does help cooling it better then just sqeezing a grain and whacking the cooler on?

Im about to change my mobo so just wanna be perfect. Hate fukn around with the cooler and paste. Time waster :thumbdn:

9. Dr_Rock

Dr_Rock Member

I use....

I use a plastic card. A credit card or similar is ideal.
    I always have, and that is for at home or at work as an electronic technician.
    It is rigid enought to allow a hard swipe over the spreader to make sure it is very thin.
    I also use a small plastic spatula to gather up all of the excess from the plastic card to fill in the small gaps, and then re swipe.
    You can get your coverage very thin and even this way, then use an isopropyl alcohol wipe ( you can get from a pharmacy ) to clean up your visa/mastercard.

For a core 2 duo/quad/i7 I think a dollop around the size of 2 grains of rice would do it

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  10. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

I USE A BIT OF CLING WRAP. WRAPPED AROUND MAH FINGA.

11. wormo

wormo Member

Piece of paper folded up a bit...

put a small blob anywhere, spread it roughly, then run from top to bottom to create a smooth even layer. Done that to all my CPU's, and they've run fine.

I also use cheap shitty "Unick" from DSE ;)

12. Naru

Naru (Banned or Deleted)

Isnt that perishable? How did you stop it from going moldy over time?

13. n2p4u

n2p4u Member

I have a computer which places Thermal paste on cpus and heatsinks and a computer which then places them in the socket and builds the computer for me... Robotics...

14. UB3R

UB3R Member

read a comprehensive review a while back where they tested all the major methods along with a few different popular materials.

Conclusion: go the rice grain worth in the middle (perhaps a tad more) and put the cooler straight onto it.

Theory was that the rice grain, as it squiches will push the air out as it goes, if you spread it out and there is even the most slight wobble in it then a pocket of air can be trapped forever.

I used to be the credit card type, but after a few dodgy mounts i went to the rice grain and havent had a problem (or a dodgy temp) in years of building PCs

15. RSDXzec

RSDXzec Member

I use this method too, imo theres no point in spreading it out yourself because when you mount the cooler, and turn on the pc the paste will spread to where it needs to go :thumbup:

16. thegumbyman

thegumbyman Member

found this vid useful

17. mixology

mixology Member

depends on the type of HS, apparently the rice thing is the best for flat base.

and doing parallel lines for direct heatsink models are better.

18. Spork!

Spork! Member

Tried the "rice grain" and temps were shite, and big differences between cores.
    Reinstalled using the Zalman grease which you paint on, very thinly, and big improvement in temps, with all 4 cores within 1c of each other.
    This despite the other TIM I used being rated as better in a comparison I saw.

Re: the video above, I guess that would be relevant, if we all held our HSF on with thumb pressure... mine screws on, others use hellishly tight pushpins...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  19. wormo

wormo Member

Hmmm, I might have to reapply mine after seeing this video. That means I have air all in mine :p

Cross method/rice grain seemed to work best.

I'm getting 45ish degrees on my i7, is that too hot?

20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

All depends on the paste, HSF, and CPU. There isn't really a "one application suits all" method per se.

Also once applied I normally burn in by disconnecting Heatsink fan, running to 40-50 degrees (depending on processor), then attaching fan and wait for temps to stabilise.