1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to setup a file server?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Cycle86, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Cycle86

Cycle86 Member

whats the best way to setup a server that has a few hdds full of shit over a network, what do i have to do to it to get the best file transfer performance?

2. The Brat Prince

The Brat Prince Member

if you using it at home for movies etc so you can run it off the server use SMB

if your using it as a leech box for lans I'd use FTP so you can regulate everything easier and coz it's built into windows server anyway although SMB is good as well

3. nux

nux Member

Maybe have a look at 'turn-key' *nix distros like FreeNAS.

4. OP
    OP
    Cycle86

Cycle86 Member

i mainly use if for storage (movies, tv eps, mp3s) i want to be able to map network drives, so i can just click on the drive in windows explore and do what ever with the file, is there any way to optimise my server so that file transfers will be smother/faster, ive got a 10/100/1000 network in the server and my computer it gos at about 22mb/s i using SATA hdd's that are able to go at about 50mb/s i think?

5. nux

nux Member

A SMB share will do it, you can use a *nix distro or Windows.

If you are after performance, RAID0 would probably be best over a gigabit network.

6. OP
    OP
    Cycle86

Cycle86 Member

how do i go about setting up an SMB share?

also does anyone know why when i copy files from 2 differnt hdd from 2 differnt computers throught 2 differnt network cards both of them slow down to a maximum of 20mb/s (10/100 onboard 10/100/100 pci bridged)

7. nux

nux Member

In Windows its just creating a shared drive (right click -> sharing).

Your HDD's are probably limited to around 20MB/sec.

8. Glock

Glock Member

Also keep in mind that the host isn't just pumping data out blind, it has to wait for the (often latency rich when compared to inter-pc communications) response from the leeching PC, which will slow it down somewhat.