Best way to setup Wifi in townhouse

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Rusty X5, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Planning on moving into a 2 storey townhouse in the near future, just wondering the best way to to devilery internet/wifi in the whole house.

Once moved in, will be getting nbn (hfc) installed so im guessing will have to keep the box downstairs, however my main workstation area (2 pcs) will be in one of the rooms up stairs. Currently got an
    ASUS DSL-AC68U for for modem/wifi atm. Will this be strong enough to penetrate through the roof if I have that setup on the 1st floor with the nbn box, then i'd purchase archer wifi cards for the 2 pcs? OR i could try a access point device (ASUS EA-AC87) maybe upstairs, then just ethernet the pcs with that.

What you guys think?...if the ac68 not powerful enough, thought about buying something like a
    ASUS RT-AC5300 or equivalent.

Thanks for you help

2. caspian

caspian Member

no possibility of running a cable to a repeater upstairs?

3. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

not sure, only been in the place once, and couldn't really have a decent look., maybe though but was hoping to avoid putting holes in walls

4. caspian

caspian Member

are you renting or purchasing?

the other possibility is an EOP link. I would not use one around an FTTN service but with HFC you would be fine.

Pugs likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Purchasing, whats EOP link?

6. Zee

Zee Member

Ethernet Over Power. Basically ethernet over existing power lines.

Z...

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

if buying.. get a cabler in after handover.. do it once, do it properly...

Madengineer and die_piggy like this.
  8. Sunder

Sunder Member

Edit: Ooops, just saw the OP had said purchasing... Leaving here to assist anyone else, or if OP decides that a single AP is easier.

On the flip side, if renting, a simple omni-directional antenna spreads radiation like this:

[​IMG]

So you can see your best bet would be to put it roughly centre of the house in the ceiling of the lower floor, or on the floor of the upper floor.

Walls that can get wet block signal more than walls that can never get wet, so if you have internal brick walls, or want WiFi in the back or front garden, you may want to favour one side of the house instead of putting it in dead centre.

Also, unless you have a lot of competition, MIMO 2.4Ghz will out perform 5Ghz for range, and for most purposes, keep up in terms of speed.

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

This.

you'll hate life running from wifi, I imagine being a townhouse, you're in a high density sort of area, you'll be competing, for wifi spectrum with everyone else on the block.

No competition on a bit of cat6, lower latency, higher (and dedicated) bandwidth.

Keep a wifi AP for your phones/tablets, but wire anything else that doesn't move.

10. caspian

caspian Member

do yourself a favour and pull the cable.

11. power

power Member

AC68U will do the job well.

I live in a top floor unit and it reaches all the way down to my garage and I'm on the third floor. I have an AC68U (non DSL).

Mine is the older model but word is the newer ones are just as good if not better.

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

13. scips

scips Member

Mine goes like this:
    (bedroom) NBN HFC wall port > Modem > TPlink AV2000
    (living room) TPlink AV2000 > Router > Switch > AP

Approx 15m between the 2 spots, tests at 95mbit+ on speedtest.

14. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

sry, probably should have googled that before asking lol..never heard of that expression before

It's in a secluded area, the estate has 30 odd building, all townhouses so 2 units each, might be ok. How much would that cost to put in EOP?

Ah, that's good to know.

Some saving grace though..missues may have changed her mind, and I might be getting the PC room on the first floor, not the 2nd so I'll get the nbn box right where my PCs will be so hopefully might not need to do anything, the wifi should be enough for the phones in the 2nd floor. See what happens

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Meshed networking options exist and suck less than they used to. Google "home mesh wifi"

16. ex4n

ex4n Member

I would put a Unifi AP on the roof somewhere central on each floor, and also run cables to any fixed positions as others have said

17. power

power Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  18. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

if OP doesn't know what EOP is, either get a cabler in OR just get something like Google WiFi (aka a Mesh System)

19. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

20. power

power Member

it absolutely does, and if you don't just update the firmware (the router has an inbuilt firmware updater).