Best way to share files over network for Kodi

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Sledge, Nov 7, 2017.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Really? Both machines running Windows 7?

That's odd, can you set up shares using anything else to try and isolate the machine that's at fault? Preferably something not Windows based? Have you tried resetting your modem?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

Correct..
    I can SEE the shares, just couldn't access them...So i know the network is fine..

Nah I gave up on that and switched to uPNP..
    works pretty well actually

3. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

ok.. I'm stumped...
    Now uPNP has stopped working as well
    Kodi says it's sharing... but other Kodi's say they can't see it..
    Tried rebooting modem, changed wireless adapter... (which seems to be stuck at 130Mbps even though it should be at 300)
    Might reload windows tomorrow

4. garnet

garnet Member

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I was a die hard Kodi (XBMC) user for a lot of years before switching to Plex recently. I always wanted to love Plex but just couldn’t get past my long standing love of Kodi and how it worked just by seeing files… not having to setup and maintain a library was wonderful. Note that I did go in through the “Files” item but Kodi was always very good at scraping the media and displaying meta data magically.

Over the years I’ve used different methods including SMB, AFP (for my Mac Mini) and FTP. Each seemed to work just as well as the other and it was usually a case of which ever worked at the time is what I would use. Filezilla Server is a thing (although I haven’t used it) that’s free and might be worth a try. All you need is working file sharing, forget Kodi for the moment and just get that working between clients first.

uPNP sounds like it’s just causing more issues than it’s worth. Your Kodi client should be doing nothing more than grabbing a file from the remote source, the local machine handles all decoding and playback activities, sounds like uPNP is interfering with that.

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Seriously just try NFS like I linked above, for the most part, NFS just works.

7. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

From within Kodi i can choose /export as a source, but nothing shows up in Kodi...

8. Mace

Mace Member

Another vote for Plex.
    I tried it a couple of times in the past and it was sooo slooow to initially set up with my library of several TB of files that I gave up.
    Finally I got sick of my WDTV and bought a Roku box instead, so was determined to set up Plex.
    I discovered the reason for the slowdown on initial setup was "Generate Thumbnails when files are added".

I found that option and unticked "Generate Thumbnails when files are added".
    Almost instantly, Plex read my entire file library, and I set a schedule to generate the thumbnails.
    A day or two later I reticked "Generate Thumbnails when files added" and it runs great when adding new files.

Prior to that I had been satisfied with Universal Media Server and my WDTV viewing as a file structure and not being able to view 1 in 1000 files.

Another gotcha is that Plex only works when you have an internet connection. But I found a way around this by using the default media player on my Roku box.

Good luck sticking with Kodi, you could consider running Plex in parallel using my tips. No overheads/delays and the end result is a really nice setup graphically, OR a simple folder structure when you want it.

9. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

forget kodi for a moment - can you access and open the "files" via windows explorer? If you can't do that, it has nothing to do with Kodi

10. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

No i can't and i can't work out why... everything says it should be working.... but it's not.. (it used to) Can't even join the 'homegroup'

But i've just redone windows now.. so we shall see how it goes...
    Just trying to decide on whether to go win10 or not... I'm thinking not due to win 10 always wanting to do things on it's own...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

I wouldn't use homegroups - just share the drive, turn off password required and you should be able to access on your network - once you can do it in windows - Kodi will work just fine.

12. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah it was just one of the options i tried..

Interestingly.. on the fresh install i still can't join the homegroup

And on my windows 10 machine it's still telling me to p off
    http://puu.sh/ylDaX/99e5f2def4.png
    http://puu.sh/ylD57/3a1ef79e3f.png

And i can't even install Intel GPU drivers either... ffs

Went to Win10 and still can't share...
    Just importing library again and i'll see if kodi can share

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  13. Pugs

Pugs Member

Oh jeez stop using home groups..they suck..... And are next to useless.....

14. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm not.. at all...
    I was just checking to see if it actually worked...
    But sharing manually doesn't work either... (maybe i should turn off DHCP and try static IPs) Though i don't see how that would make a difference.

Will get back to it tomorrow.. But it does seem to be working...slowly
    I'm wondering if this PC has had a power surge or something has half died...

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Sounds like that might be half your problem right there. DHCP and sharing is the devil. Set the source/server as static (the clients don't matter so much) and go from there. Just make sure you set a Static IP that's outside of the normal DHCP range.

Once that's done you can simply go to //x.x.x.x/, select the right folder, right click and share (assuming it's turned on of course) and it should just work.

For Kodi you don't even need that, you just search for the share within the Kodi interface.

16. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm actually wondering if it's the modem...
    Continually getting 503 error when trying to connect...

Have now setup static IPs and will monitor how things go with uPNP..

Still can't share through SMB though

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  17. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Out of curiosity, what modem?

18. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Sounds like a factory rest of that modem might be on the cards in the near future.

19. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

iiNets TG1 nbn modem