Best way to use 2.5 SAS drives in a desktop?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by AusTerror, Jun 4, 2015.

1. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

Howdy everyone,

I recently remembered I had a stack of 2.5 inch SAS drives. A variety of 10k and 15k drives. Not SATA drives.

Doing some quick searching around the internets I was not able to find an easy solution to use these drives in a desktop tower case.

The mounting is the problem. I have some SAS controllers and I know what cables I need, enclosure dependant of course.

So I was wondering if anyone here had previous experience.

It would be nice if there was something like a 5.25 drive bay adapter that you could stick a bunch of SAS drives in. But the only version of those I've seen are SATA.

I know they won't be power efficient and such, but I have these drives and I'd like to experience how they work and stuff.

Ideas anyone?

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Plug controller into the board, plug the cables into the controller and the drives, make sure you've got enough cooling to stop the 15k's from cooking and go for it?

Personally 15k sas is good for defrag shits'n'giggles but are still outclassed in every way by consumer SSDs. Thus I wouldn't spend much/any money on getting such slow storage up and running.

3. power

power Member

trade them all in for SSD's.

4. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Well if you are motivated I'm sure you could build a set of Rials for them to attach to a few 5.25" bays.

4 Bits Alu L bracket in each corner, 4 bits of Alu Flat bar two top and bottom. Rivet then together. Drill land Tap holes in the L to attach to the case and drill holes in the Flatbar for the drives to screw into.

Get a mesh cover to cover it all up and stick a fan behind that. Then just use standard SAS cables.

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

110% this.

If you don't have a reason for spinning rust (i.e bulk storage - and 2.5in drives don't make bulk storage), get rid of it. SSD's are just better.

6. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Nah, SSDs sound like crap when being defragged. The moar "K"s the better the sound :thumbup:

7. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Give em to me to put them in a server, where they should be living.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

Remind me not to engage you for Servers then...

2.5in spinning rust is literally a waste of time at this point.

If you need performance - Flash.
    If you need capacity - 3.5in is far better - http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/946/SC946ED-R2KJBOD.cfm + HGST Helium 8TB's.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Mounting is the easy part, grab some rubber bands and suspend them.