Best ways to repair mildly scratched cd/dvds

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by tysonmackenzie, Feb 9, 2007.

1. tysonmackenzie

tysonmackenzie Member

Hey, im trying to install grand theft auto san andreas but a quarter of the way through it stops saying problem with cyclic redundancy check. It worked not long ago, it has a few mild hairline marks. I am using a usb external dvd drive. Any tips on getting it to install. or tips to repair the disk with everyday household items that wont ruin anything. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Polish the scratched areas with toothepaste. Polish from inside to outside of the disc, not around in circles. Clean afterwards with something alcohol based, preferably something high purity, like isopropyl alcohol.

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

mr sheen.

any strong solvent... even spray and wipe is quite strong.... just erm... dont rub, let it eat the disc away itself ^^

4. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

there was a review done on this i found a while back, ill have a look and see if i can dig it up.

Toothpaste doesnt really work, neither does mr sheen as far as im aware.

The review concluded that braso works the best for the price (was almost identically effective compared to the expensive cd repair kits)

EDIT: Not the link i was talking about but hey, information never hurts....
    Brasso method - http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2001533_remove-scratches-cds-dvds.html

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  5. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

There are lots of threads about this in this forum.

However lots of people say toothpaste yet I haven't tried it though.

6. TMM

TMM Member

brasso works fine for me :)

7. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Doesnt Brasso have a very fine abrasive in it? Wouldn't that be detrimental?

I use toothpaste and wash with water. If its safe enough for teeth its safe enough for CD's.

8. ANZAC_ELITE

ANZAC_ELITE Member

Video Ezy - $3.50 per disk (bloody expensive)

I use a Fellows CD Repair kit

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yes brasso has a fine abrassive, but so does tooth paste. Thats the whole idea. You are polishing out the imperfections on the surface of the disc. If you buy a cd/dvd repair kit it comes with a polishing liquid and a peice of ~2000grit sandpaper (fabric actually but you get the idea).

10. OP
    OP
    tysonmackenzie

tysonmackenzie Member

I have tried a few of your ideas and so far nothings working. They really seem too mild to be stopping it. But it still isnt finishing the installation. Is there any way to install without going through their setup file. thanks

11. Draco

Draco Member

I would try making a disk image and seeing if that works. I've had quite a few CDs and DVDs which won't play parts of the movie/audio on the fly but using DVD Decrypter or ISO Buster to make an image seems to work fine. These programs will try quite hard to read dodgy disks so give them a shot.

Oh and Brasso is the best shot so far as I'm concerned too.

12. caMMo

caMMo Member

Try your local CD game/exchange shop (one's that sell pre-loved games). They'll whack them on their machine for free ...at least they do for me :)

There is of course only so much you can do... really deep scratches are there to stay.

13. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Could it be a problem with UDMA transfer mode? Try setting your drive to run in PIO mode (bloody slow).

Windows Explorer/Right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/"IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers"/Right click the channel your drive is on/Properties/Advanced Settings/Select PIO only for both boxes.

Just a thought.

14. TMM

TMM Member

The abrasive is what makes it work. Technically yes it does eat away at the surface of the CD, but it smooths out scratches ;)

15. slavewone

slavewone Member

I have one of those mechanical cd repairers (GF has spindles of cd's with the life scratched out of them). When the original "compunds" ran out i switched to brasso/silvo or car cutting compounds and they all work nicely. Some CD's need many more than 1 or 2 "cycles" of the machine to even read most of the tracks.....

Essentially, reducing the scratching gives the laser a better chance. If you are still getting errors, you might want to try another drive or even rip the iso from the disc using a program and then install from the iso or burn the iso to another disc purely to allow your install.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Just to elaborate on this for you, the data on the cd isn't stored on the surface, but underneath. By polishing away some of the surface, you are smoothing it out and allowing the laser to pass through without being deflected, which is what stops the disc from being able to be read.

17. robbie mcdowall

robbie mcdowall Member

Brasso.

Saw a comparison awhile ago. Brasso came out on top in terms of value/results.

18. lesovers

lesovers Member

Rough as you like with Brasso and then smooth it off with Silvo. Finally wash it in dish washing liquid. Don't worry about any very fine marks left, it will not effect the laser. I have been using this method since CD first come out (about 1985).

Also try another CD/DVD reader.

19. LiNERROR

LiNERROR Member

hold the CD up to a bright light... can you see little specs of light through the disk? if so, the data layer is damaged...

i've put GOUGES into a disk with a sharp knife to show that most modern drives can deal with scratches...

but if you have a long scratch that parallels the data tracks (circular scratch around the disk) those can cause problems...

brasso and some time...

20. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

Now when you guys say toothpaste, are we talking about any specific type of toothpaste, or specific types to avoid like the ones with baking soda, extra whitening, wierd flavors, etc? Not really knowledgeable about stuff like this. :'(