Beware of smart TVs

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Hi-end Head, Apr 26, 2021.

1. power

power Member

quoting something with no sources is not appropriate.

you can use the quote function to correctly quote text as well.

upload_2021-4-27_11-40-8.png

so this spun out of this. amazing what you find when the source is credited.

https://www.fox19.com/2020/12/06/major-security-flaw-found-tcl-android-tvs-tech-researchers-say/

which leads you here.

https://www.digitalinformationworld.com/2020/11/major-backdoor-vulnerabilities-have.html

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tcl-smart-tv-security-flaws

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't think this is the right approach to explain it.

Google is listening for its magic catch phrase 100% locally on the device, this is no different to Siri or Cortana on Windows. False triggers will mean some audio will be sent without you knowing.

But you can just turn the feature off, its not hard.

If you are worried about Google deciding to specifically change how it normally works to record what you are saying, literally any company can change their software to record any device with a microphone

The fact is that its ridiculously easy to tell if a device is constantly recording and transmitting your audio, only people who don't understand technology worry about it.

I would have assumed that your network to already be compromised or visiting a compromised website which would mean the vulnerability is not a big deal.

Reading the article it doesn't really seem clear, I would be wondering how TCL employees are logging into their TV's remotely.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

CRTs punch out huge amounts of x-ray radiation. There was a reason they used lead infused glass, and lead lined tubes

A reminder that tin foil hats act as antennas, not blockers.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120807032927/http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet

If you want to stop either RF radiation or Facebook / Bill Gates / the government controlling your brain, a tin foil hat makes it worse.

the_fuzz and bcann like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can I get internet on this one?

JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Over the 2400 baud dial up modem!

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah... Tell My Wi-Fi Love Her. :leet:

JSmith

ShadowBurger and MR CHILLED like this.
  7. millsy

millsy Member

Petition to rename thread "beware of misinformation posing as fact"

Not surprising though, HiFi forums are packed full of misinformation from charlatans trying to turn a dollar

the_fuzz, h2oxide, cvidler and 2 others like this.
  8. elvis

Bro, wanna buy my oxygen free gold plated digital cables? Bargain price for you - only $1000/m. Total steal.

They make digital audio sound way better, because oxidisation, you see.

millsy, GumbyNoTalent and JSmithDTV like this.
  9. Cererus

Cererus Member

The Snowdon wikileaks had reference to CIA malware that was collecting god know what from Sansungs for the deep state men in black spy network
    That's why I'm sticking to my Radiation King
    Homer-Grandpa-Simpson-.jpg

bcann, Dilbery and JSmithDTV like this.
  10. alch

alch Member

[​IMG]

clonex and Dilbery like this.
  11. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Do you get Netflix on that glorious pointer?

Dilbery likes this.
  12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Are they Oxygen free or do they come with free oxygen?

[​IMG]

JSmithDTV and elvis like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Yes MQA is questionable, There are many many posts and threads on notice boards
    and forums, the like of high profile forum WBF Offering opinions for and against the benefits of MQA. Tidel seem to have converted all there downloads to include the MQA software . And while Tidal is very good it is also expensive. Is the high cost justified, if you don't have a MQA DAC
    MQA works when it is used in recording, streaming and in the DAC. It is not cheap to license and effectively locks out smaller outfits. High End manufacturer Meridian Audio, also owned by BS started the MQA movement.

14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Even if one has a full decode/unfold MQA DAC, the high cost is not justified as MQA has been shown to be inferior to FLAC, adding noise that was not there and is definitely not lossless.

It appears to be a quasi drm licensing royalties fuck the consumer sort of deal... the whole "high-res" music industry is a scam to start with anyway, however I won't go on further about that for now. ;)

JSmith

15. clonex

clonex Member

nek minit its got 5g wifi and gave him covid

16. elvis

Well FLAC is royalty free, open source, and lossless. You'd have to come up with a compelling reason (i.e.: pay me) to use anything else.

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yep... which is why MQA makes no sense apart from a business and control aspect.
    Many big record labels are signing on for MQA... even worse MQA adulterated "masters" are replacing catalogues on services like Tidal. They've even done a deal with LG to have Tidal on their TV's. It's gradually becoming a concern and it's sonic qualities have been shown to be marketing rubbish.

I'd suggest buy/download what flac you can and start buying/ripping CD's if you're into music... if this MQA push continues.

Plenty of music streaming services aren't using it though and hopefully continue to stay away from it, however it could come down to the big labels in the end and how they want to protect and re-sell their content.

JSmith

18. elvis

I'm at a point in my life where just mainstream music doesn't interest me any more. Quite thankfully, there are still plenty of services that offer high quality, DRM free music too niche tastes, and have willing audiences who gladly pay instead of pirate.

For the few albums I've bought in the last couple of years, all have been FLAC off places like Bandcamp, and I paid even with lower quality free alternatives available, because I'm willing to pay artists I enjoy.

Mainstream media of all kinds interests me less and less the older I get, and the stupidity of that industry can gladly eat its own head. Old-cantankerous-fart lyfe.

ashenIC likes this.
  19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Me too mate and what I do like I have physical copies of already, so it probably won't affect us much going forward. But for others and the music industry in general it's another scam dressed up as a benefit... hopefully Bob retires nicely though. ;)

JSmith

20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I just tossed all of my smart TVs into the bin outside, no way am I going to let Bezos steal any of my hard earned!

I do like the additional detail of the TCL TV being "Chinese built", that would certainly be a unique point to TCL :Pirate:

the_fuzz likes this.