Beware online scammer

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by K_I_Z_A, Aug 23, 2011.

1. K_I_Z_A

K_I_Z_A Member

hi there i have recently been scammed by a bloke on gumtree and whilst in hindsight i realise it was a stupid thing to do i thought i may as well warn people.
    i have also had someome else come forward because of a post i put on gamers-underground so i thought id spread the word in the hope of someone else coming forward

read below for the full transcript of events

originally posted on gamers-underground

2. miicah

miicah Member

Registered post fees are not "astronomical", that would have been my first tip off. Also he is selling an ipad2 for $250....

3. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

An iPad 2 for $350?

You can't even get a first-generation iPad for that price, let alone for $250. If it's too good to be true than it's most likely is...

Also, Gumtree is only meant to be used for local 'pickup' transactions, not for postage. If you want the item posted, you would be safer buying it on eBay.

Best of luck in trying to get your money back. :)

4. 3stars

3stars Member

contact the police as soon as possible.

5. ray6027

ray6027 Member

Sorry to hear you have been scammed. Same thing happened to me. It's a hard lesson to have to learn. :)

6. Micknmark

Micknmark Member

Hi all
    I found mention of this scam after Googling "smith Gumtree scam". Yes, I too have been sucked in by this scammer. I just wanted to put it out there that this fella is still out there doing business and making money off the innocent trusting (yes, suckers too) public.

FYI, his MO is to use out of the city locations that make it more difficult to get to and increase the likelihood of someone paying via direct deposit. In my case, he said he was in Brookton (1.5 hours from Perth), was using the name Terrence Smith (Tez) and selling a near new Ipad 2 with cover for $520. He's using the email optussim1@hotmail.com.

When I said I couldn't make it to Brookton, he was happy to take direct deposit and post. Once paid, I never heard from him again. Yes, I should have known better, but this guy is very convincing and totally believable. His reasons for selling were that his boss had given him a different tablet to use at home so he didn't need this one anymore.

This week I found him in Merredin (3 hours from Perth) apparently. He's using the name Timothy Sellwood-Smith (email tj.dodoacc@hotmail.com). He's selling two sealed Ipads with covers which he'd apparently bought for his children for Christmas. As they've bought Ipads themselves he doesn't need them and can't return them for a refund. He was happy to accept $975 for both or $580 for one and this time offered to pay the post. Given that he'd ripped me off a week ago, I'm sure he could afford it!!

Aside from the bank accounts mentioned previously, he's using two accounts at present:

St George Bank
    Account Name - T Smith
    BSB 112879
    Account Number 420710367

and

Cuscal Limited
    Branch Name Select Credit Union Ltd
    Account Name - T Smith
    BSB 802103
    Account Number 501391

His mobile number is 0420 399 193. I haven't bothered to ring.

The address he gave in Merredin was a house that is listed on Google as being for sale. I wonder if this is also part of his MO. It currently belongs to a painter and decorator who I'm sure would love to know that his address is being given out to potential Ipad buyers who could rock up on his doorstep.

He deletes the ad off Gumtree pretty much straight away. In fact, he deleted the ad as soon as I said I would buy the Ipads.

I made reports to the technology department of the WA Police, as well as to Gumtree ... I don't ever expect to see my money but it would be great to keep this guy on his toes and hopefully prevent others from making the same mistakes with this guy that I made.

Cheers
    Michelle

7. Smakked

Smakked Member

The old saying comes into play here.

"If its to good to be true , then it probably is."

8. garetz

garetz Member

Contact your financial institution, and ask them to refund the money to you, they still can if you believe it is fraudulent, and they charge you a dishonor fee.

Also contact this guys financial institution, and tell them you believe the owner of the account is using those accounts for fraudulent illegal activity, if alot of people call regarding that account, and also contact the police, the financial institution might freeze the account.

9. chrism238

chrism238 New Member

Sadly, I've also been bitten by this same fellow, but found this thread too late.

In my case he advertised a (too) cheap TiVo on Gumtree WA on 9th November; again living in Merredin WA, and willing to Express Post the item to Perth.

He was using an email account with the name Travis (just call me Trav) Smith, the email address of merrteamracing@hotmail.com, and using the same BSB and account details as Michelle reported (above).

Reported to Gumtree, now off to my bank and to report it to the WA police.

Hope this helps others.

10. iNoob

iNoob Member

And why aren't you guys going to your bank and the Police? :rolleyes:

11. Micknmark

Micknmark Member

Hi guys, sorry to hear others have been bitten by this same fella. I hope that some will see this before he makes too much cash.

FYI, I have reported all these details to the WA police, to both the banks he gave me info for, to Scamnet and Gumtree. I'm sure Chrism will attest to how convincing this guy can be ... I've done a lot of buying and selling on eBay and Gumtree and thought I was pretty cautious and savvy but he got me ...

Please chris, contact Cuscal via their website and make a complaint to them quoting the account number ... we just have to make life a little harder for this guy to do the transactions.

Interesting, when I told him I would come up to Merredin and pay cash he told me he'd sold the iPads to someone else so some other poor sucker has also been conned ...

I urge everyone to be on the lookout for this guy on Gumtree selling items at lower than normal prices in a location that is just a little too hard to get to so postage is easier AND using the names in some form of T Smith. If the bank accounts match anything here don't pay up or you'll do yr dough.

Cheers
    Michelle

12. garetz

garetz Member

This guy sounds pretty smooth, i am sure he uses the above as an excuse to anyone who wants to pickup, as of course he doesnt want to meet you in person and be exposed.

13. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Gave the number a call to fuck with him, went to voicemail. Should phone bomb this guy.

He's exploiting people greed and stupidity. Chalk it up to a life lesson.... iPAD2's for $250... you cant be seriously that foolish.

14. Mikio

Mikio Member

hes using junker phones/sims, look at the emails. one phone/sim one email one name. just makes a hit and moves along. only thing he keeps the bank account the same so when they catch him hes gonna be assfucked under just com laws. Im sure each phone wasnt legitimately reg'd. I'll drop a word in my bank managers ear today and let them know that fraudulent activity is happening thru that account, im sure the falcon will swoop and slow him down for a bit maybe.

15. synoptica

synoptica Member

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you people?

This is mail fraud. Contact the police. You have his bank details - this is a critical piece of information. With this the police can very easily identify him. Why is this not obvious?

16. Mikio

Mikio Member

Ummmmmm..........

and again for those that missed it the first time..............

Now I cant see where the OP has said he has contacted police but im sure it doesnt take a "wont someone think of the children" alarmist post on the internets to know hes on that path already....

Relax and express some compassion rather than treat these folks like they are idjits.

17. synoptica

synoptica Member

I'm well aware of this, but it seems that it's far from the first reaction.

18. Renza

Renza Member

I was scammed once... over here on ocau too, bought a 8800gtx but guy ran with my money :(

reported it to SA and NSW police, where they forwarded it to the QLD police cos the address given was fake and guy was in QLD. Was taken to court and ordered to pay me back every single sent. Took around a year before i heard anything back from the police, and the money trickled back over another year, but i eventually got it back... annoying process but lesson learned!

19. garetz

garetz Member

I have been successfully scammed once about 4-5 years ago now, its funny how scammers are always saying they have apple products to sell.

Anyway the guy went to court and was ordered to pay it back, and do about 300 hours community service, but didnt see a cent. You are lucky to get your money back.

20. Micknmark

Micknmark Member

Tks guy for your comments and support. Thanks too for making the call to his voicemail ... I can imagine the messages he's been receiving!

I can guarantee you all that when I realised I'd been scammed I did all I could to report it to everyone I could, including posts here and elsewhere ... And it was my first priority to get every bit of 'personal' info I could from him so I had the evidence that authorities could use. I'll b looking for him again over the next few weeks and will enjoy stringing him along to make sure it's the same guy, get the bank info, etc., report him again and again and ... Best of all, mess with him.

Cheers
    Michelle