BHPhotovideo vs eGlobal (Grey imports)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by quwackers, Mar 19, 2018.

1. quwackers

quwackers Member

Will there be any difference in the handling of warranty issues for a ~$400 purchase?

I guess what I am asking is should I pay slightly more for a US grey import or a Hong Kong/who knows. As neither comes with manufacturers warranty and cost of shipping to America is absorbent.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Grey is gray

quwackers likes this.
  3. Beanz

Beanz Member

Just buy one locally and support Australian jobs.

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Either way you need to budget 10% GST and the brokerage fee for the GST which usually makes the item very close to Australian price, and warranty will need to budget at least 3-4 months if you need to send it in. I have seen some items take almost a year to fix if they are imported.

5. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

If it was an issue of manufacturing (Australian vs foreign) I would agree, but they're both imports and I don't think the mark up is justifiable.

My understanding was that GST was only required to be paid on goods of $1000 or more, I have frequently ordered items via gray importer and never had an issue.

6. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I am assuming you are buying something that is over 1K. if it is under that, I would not bother importing it, as you just don't save enough to justify the warranty headaches. Unless it is a manual focus lens, or used vintage stuff.

7. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

I mentioned the approximate cost in OP.

Though for reference the Australian wholesaler vs foreign costs 30% more (in this situation).

I didnt start the thread to debate whether or not it's worth importing, for me it is, as I have never had an RMA issue with countless grey imports.

As such even if one defects and warranty is not honored I have already cumulatively saved more then the cost of a single defective item.

What I wanted to know was the would there be a significant difference in the quality of customer service between a USA exporter and a Grey Importer.

8. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

In general, the answer is no.

I've purchased stuff from B&H, Adorama and a couple of different usually HK based grey based sellers and never had an issue. I've also never had to return an item either, so could not comment on any of them from that point of view.

9. methd

methd Member

Remember that just because it has a warranty, you don’t HAVE to send it back for warranty. You can get a local canon/Nikon repair centre to do it at cost which is usually cheaper than the difference in the price of the two channels anyway.

For example a grey D5 can be had for $5900 and a Aussie D5 is approx $8800. I’d be willing to bet that no warranty repair would cost the $3k difference in price (even if you take off the 10% GST). The only repairs that are expensive is when it’s dropped, and that’s not a warranty issue.

quwackers likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    quwackers

quwackers Member

Very good point, I ended up taking the grey importer path saved me ~$110.

In my mind well worth it, especially seeing as I paid using Paypal and have their buyer protection for 180 days. Obviously shy of a year which is the length of most manufacturer warranties and from what I can tell this one.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've always bought grey. Savings is pretty decent after you've bought a few things. One of my colleague bought a lens from DWI few years back after I recommended them. The lens came faulty. So he emailed DWI and they sent him out a new one straight away, before he even sent the faulty one back. Don't think I've ever seen any other company do that.

quwackers likes this.
  12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Correct - there are stories in the US about manufacturers not touching grey market equipment at all (even paid) but not heard of that in AU.
    Plenty of good repair places around that arent the actual manufacturers service center anyway

quwackers likes this.
  13. methd

methd Member

I use an authorised Nikon repair centre to repair all my Aussie and Grey gear. Hartland in Perth. They’ve had no issues whatsoever over the years in taking in repair jobs regardless of where the camera is from. It’s just more paid work for them.

quwackers likes this.
  14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep - they're best in the business and I use them a lot too, they arent Nikon HQ though.
    Like i said i cant see it happening in Australia

quwackers likes this.