Big Box PC Game Collecting

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by cavanor, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Long time no post. Some old games, some new ones, plenty of new additions either way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. badmofo

badmofo Member

OMG, consider my socks knocked clean off. Amazing collection mate!

So much to like in there but it was the big box Gothics that caught my eye. Very nice.

3. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

That is one sweet collection! Kudos to you Phill! Great photos as well, nice light in your room.

Will have to share my collection one day, though it pales in comparison.

4. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Yeah, those are some of my favourites. Same with Dink Smallwood, I didn't even realise it came in a box until I saw it on eBay one day. A lot of these are very hard to come by in a sealed condition. There's also a 'small box' version of Gothic II in the last photo (bottom right).

Most of the harder to get stuff is from Europe. The hardest part about getting them here from overseas is making sure they arrive without damage. Check out this, for example:

[​IMG]

A $200 collectors edition from Japan, sent in nothing but the gamebox, a little padding, and some cardboard that only partially covers the actual item :sick: Surprisingly, that one arrived without a scratch.

It's a shame I got into all of this so late (Sep 2012), because getting things like old Lucasarts games is now either a huge pain in the arse or waaaaaaay too expensive. There are loads of games I'd love to get from when I was a kid.

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I noticed the smaller Gothic II - that version is the best I've managed in my big box collecting - great to see the real deal.

I got into it late too but have managed to get most of what I want over the course of a couple of years, but my collecting goals are obviously a lot less ambitious than yours :o

6. Krumm

Krumm Member

Just a couple of copies of Raven Shield huh, love the figures mixed in with the collection.

7. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

$30 for 1 box or $30 for 22 boxes. I'm not sure what I'll do with the other 21, but it seemed like a steal

8. gambo

gambo Member

Has anyone got a method of sealing old games in a way similar to the shrink wrap that they come from the factory in?

I guess I just want to find the best way to protect my Big Box games and still have them sitting on the shelf on display.

9. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Just Google 'shrink wrap machine'

EBay or such will have them.

My cousin bought and returned every Dragonball z disk jbhifi ever sold, and returned them 'unopened'.

10. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

If you haven't already joined, check out the PC Big Box collecting group on Facebook I mentioned a few posts up. There is a guy in the US who makes custom clear PVC cases for PC boxes since they come in all sorts of different sizes. Probably will end up a bit expensive though with shipping etc but it's an option. Most collector's however who do go to the trouble of protecting their boxes often just use acid free resealable plastic bags which would be a much cheaper option. Personally I'm not too keen on it as you end up with a shelve full of plastic bags which looks a bit odd presentation wise if that bothers you.

Both of the above options have their pro's and con's but I think they are a better option then resealing them since you can still access the contents without going to the trouble of removing the shrink wrap.

Also if you haven't already, put a small desiccant bag in each box to absorb any moisture that is present as paper is almost like a sponge when it comes to absorbing moisture in the air. This is especially a good idea if you plan on keeping them protected with any of the methods above as the last thing you want to do is end up trapping that moisture inside.

11. Wizard2k

Wizard2k Member

I believe his name was Erik, there is a few people on there who use them now.

12. badmofo

badmofo Member

My recent efforts - I've been re-buying some faves which I already own, but for which I'd thrown out the boxes long ago.

Not that there's much in the boxes of this era, but they're better than nothing and present well on the shelf. I've been looking for a physical copy of The Witcher 3 that's worth owning and it seems to only come in a crappy plastic DVD case, unless of course you want to pay hundreds for the coffin sized collector’s edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Krumm

Krumm Member

Couple of classic games, was shocked to find Street Fighter out in the wild and it was a 5 1/4" floppy disk version too.

[​IMG]

They were selling these boxed Retro City Rampages for $10 off to clear them (out of stock now I believe) so I figured I would grab one, they are quite small.

[​IMG]

14. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

I would pay just about anything to get my hands on the boxes for Dark Reign and it's expansion.

Total Annihilation and expansion would be great too but I assume they're rarer :(

I don't think there's any other games that I'm after, but yeah I'm definitely a hopeless Dark Reign addict.

15. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Dark Reign and its expansion comes up on overseas eBay listings regularly and it's not that expensive (probably $30-50 landed in Aus). TA also isn't too hard to find.

16. power

power Member

nice finds, I have no idea how rare SFII is these days I still have my Amiga box and disks from when I bought the game new. :)

17. jim.jupiter

jim.jupiter Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Reign-...620431?hash=item3ace340b4f:g:4xgAAOSw8oFXyaJU

its really not an expensive game. US$28 for game plus expansion, both factory sealed. i see it on ebay quite often, its even cheaper in used condition.

18. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

That's not a bad deal, although that blue box is different to the one the original usually came in. I just need to have a proper poke once I get the money again to buy fun stuff :D

Edit: I'll try and get some pics of the boxes that I do have...

19. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

yeah the base game is a budget re-release version

20. mrgareth

mrgareth Member

Hi everyone,

I haven't read every page in this thread yet - but I will soon enough, but I figured I'd post some questions about the "current state" or Big Box collecting.

My childhood consisted of predominantly Sierra adventure games, and I owned a LOT of Sierra games, all in mint condition, which I remember selling as a teenager for $80 for my entire collection. My first ever game my parents bought me was Space Quest 1, and my parents bought me LSL2 for my 12th birthday.

I’m turning 40 next year and I think I’m going through a mid-life crisis, as I want to collect my old favourite series – Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest and Hero’s Quest (QFG), King’s Quest mainly. Which funnily enough is what's mentioned in the above post.

Australian Ebay is very ordinary, so is US Amazon still the way to go, spending lots of $$$'s on postage?

Is it still viable to do this (or have all the good copies been snapped up), and am I going to end up broke (still cheaper than buying a sports car though). I have no intention of playing the games in the boxes, as I already bought them all on GOG years ago to replay them, this is purely for collecting in my bookshelf to help reclaim a little bit of my youth!

Are there any key sellers on Ebay/Amazon I should bookmark and keep my eye on? 

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017