Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Great news for Bigpond customers :thumbup:

Although this is a free upgrade for Melbournians, I hope Bigpond don't expect to charge a fee on top of their 'elite' plans.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. iinsom

iinsom Member

So cable users (like myself) can get upto 100Mbits cable?

Yes plx

3. Jim G

Jim G Member

I'd dispute the nation-wide part of that statement... we have zero cable internet in Newcastle :(

4. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Obviously it's talking about nationwide in areas that get cable :rolleyes:

Keen tho, 38mbps is getting a bit long in the tooth :p :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. Jim G

Jim G Member

Oh, I know.. I'm just bitter that the best 'net we could get in the last 3 suburbs we lived in topped out at ~6mbps. Trying to upload a batch of photos on the dinky little .3mbps upload pipe = no internet for days :/ So very, very jealous of cable.

6. FiShy

FiShy Member

"The upgrade will see Telstra follow a similar Optus upgrade which the SingTel subsidiary has rolled out in Australia over the past several years."

lolwut

optus rolled out all 3 citys in one go... over a few months.

They have two different types of cable networks anyway.

7. BBITS

BBITS Member

How is this new, or should I say news? Optus had it now for a bit over 4yrs which i am personally very happy with albeit still 2mbit Up. Do BigPond need to be seen to be keeping up with the Jones', is this to service all areas not covered by the NBN? Anyone has the right to be highly critical of this corporation who owns the infrastructure when they roll out things like this at its capacity half a decade late while another, far superior one is being implemented now - rest assured folks this will be marketed/masked well!

8. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

So... after years of criticising Telstra for failing to invest in its networks, we now criticise them for... investing in a network? Right-o.

Ive since moved to a place that has 100mbps DSL but would say it lacks the 'snappiness' that I enjoyed on the 30mbps cable I had previously. I doubt BP cable is available in apartment buildings, but would make the switch for sure.

Only 3 cities in Australia huh...

9. caspian

caspian Member

are you sure about that one? it might be 100Mbps connectivity, but it's not provided by DSL.

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

11. OP
    OP
    [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Correct me if I'm wrong - But i've heard Optus's "100mbit" performance is less than steller. Atleast Bigpond should have performance going for it. I always manage 4mb/sec+ out of my current ~30mbit Bigpond connection. :thumbup:

12. FiShy

FiShy Member

According to Optus HFC, yes.

Optus delivered 100MB to the 3 biggest cities in Aus quicker then telstra delivered it to 1. Cost them less to.

13. tzortst

tzortst Member

It's not free, it's an extra $10...

14. Daemos

Daemos Member

Yep back home in Canada I have this type of service at my place.

It's too bad Australia invested in an OTA tv network instead of a coaxial cable network like North America, then there wouldn't be this distance problem like they use for ADSL. I've lived in a few places and the max I've seen was 12mbps, where I live currently, wireless is faster than the wired ADSL in my place.

Docsis 3 was introduced in Canada years ago.

15. Primüs

Primüs Member

Not sure on the countryside in canada, but in AU, a lot of things were done OTA vs Cable due to the sparse outlay of the population, and the cost of running cables to all of them. This is also why the NBN is such a big job, and took so long to be kicked along.

16. caspian

caspian Member

mmm.... I was the L2 support for Telstra's VDSL2 trial and it only went to 70Mbps even then. it finished in late 2008 or early 2009 from memory.

the only 100Mbps connections Telstra would currently supply is DOCSIS 3 HFC cable, Velocity FTTP or a dedicated IP MAN fibre connection.

not having a chop at you by any means, mshagg - just interested in what's providing the pipe. what suburb, and do you control the router yourself? if so, what's it plugged into?

[edit] actually, I could be mistaken if it's non-Telstra supplied, but I wasn't aware that anyone else was doing no-shit VDSL2 if so. you'd have to be bloody close to the DSLAM to get 100Mbps, our trials of several thousand services found it rolled off significantly after as little as 150 metres, which is in line with the expectations of the technology.

what *can* be done though is to bung a fibre-fed DSLAM with VDSL2 channel cards into the basement of a MDU, then use the existing twisted-pair cabling to feed VDSL2 up to a modem in the dwelling. since VDSL2 is EFM over single pair you get most of the hybrid advantages of both ethernet and DSL over a single pair, and it *looks* like VDSL2 to the punters due to the modem they use. you don't have to rewire the building, either, which is always good. :thumbup:

17. FiShy

FiShy Member

Cananaanananananananaananananananda aaye is similar to Aus.... but our cities are bigger.

18. ltd73

ltd73 Member

nope.

VDSL/VSDL2 cannot be deployed commercially on POTS/PSTN circuits in australia, because effectively the entire 'bundle' MUST be on it, you cannot mix/match different pairs on the same bundle with different technolgy due to the crosstalk.

its not to say that it cannot be used at all - but it cannot be used on the copper infrastructure in the ground when ULL basically means any carrier can lease copper.

19. Daemos

Daemos Member

Canada is also quite sparsely populated, the density of the Canada is 3.41/km2 (ranked 230th) vs Australia's 2.8/km2 (ranked 235th).

there are areas in Canada that cannot get proper DSL service, but even small towns now can get Docsis 3, and where I'm around even small towns (smaller than where I'm living now) can get VDSL2.

There already is a fiber network across Canada as well...

Australia has much larger cities (land area wise...one thing I love about Australia, you guys build out, not up :D)

20. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

You guys speak a strange language :D

http://www.adam.com.au/products/vdsl2/ezychoice_vdsl2.php

Adam was on board when they built the place ~18months ago and have their own room in the basement, although I understand you also have the option of being wired to the local Telstra exchange as well. No idea how they patch the Adam DSLAM into the wider internet, but im guessing some kind of fibre run?

You are issued with a router/modem. They ask which phone port you want your internets through, patch it at the basement/floor/apartment, leave some dirty footprints on your carpet and off you go.

EDIT: It's very good but i'd still prefer the 100mbps cable soon to be enabled in ADL.