Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

So I called Thursday last week to find out what was going on, 15 business days and still wasnt upgraded. The guy booked me in for this morning and said that the tap would be upgraded before the install.

Check last night and the tap had been upgraded :shock: So I was thinking i actually might get my install before easter (and 6 weeks after the order was placed)

Had a 7am to 12pm install time today. Guess what, no-one showed. So I called after 12 and asked what was going on. "the installer went home sick and you have been rescheduled for the 26th" (3 weeks time), so I asked why I wasnt contacted, he didnt know.

Ok ppl get sick (esp. Easter Thursday :Paranoid:) I get that. But why wasnt I contact to say the install wasnt going to happen.

Sorry /rant

2. RETARD

RETARD New Member

May i suggest you go here.
    Seems to be quite affective ...
    https://www.facebook.com/Telstra24x7

As for me im still waiting for my modem to arrive after 2 weeks (maybe more)
    The first something funky happened to the order when i 'packaged' all my items together. The 2nd time the girl said she would call back today just to see if it had arrived .... and surely enough i get a call this morning from her ... she confirmed the modem was shipped on Tuesday (along with consignment number) so if its not here this afternoon it should be here Tuesday. I'm totally fine with that.

Seems like all we are asking is for some communication.

3. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Well hats of to Telstra, the guy turned up about 2:30 and I now have cable. :thumbup:

Didnt really expect to get it today.

4. Schnooper

Schnooper Member

Happy with this

[​IMG]

5. spilla2003

spilla2003 Member

Can someone with a Mac do a test on speedtest.net for me?

When using my W7 PC, i'm getting results of 110mbit/s, but on my new iMac (10.7.3) with the same ethernet cable, speedtest.net only gives me a max of 50mbit/s. Wifi is disabled too, so I'm not too sure.

I have a feeling it's just a limitation with the transfer speeds within Flash or something along those lines, just want to make sure. :)

6. stevebris

stevebris Member

Sorry missed this!

I'm in Brisbane and yes I do get a bit more on occassion. :D

7. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

Finally got it connected ...

[​IMG]

Pretty happy :)

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As I am also....don't really care about NBN when I have this set up already.

9. RETARD

RETARD New Member

where do you guys check in on your data usage?
    I am using the facebook App but its like 3 days behind.
    Is there any software to get up to date data information?

10. mazmorbid

Here ............

11. RETARD

RETARD New Member

Thankyou mazmorbid :thumbup:
    Thats exactly what i needed.
    Browsing Telstra sites can be a bit like pulling teeth.

I thought torrenting helped push me over my 500Gb limit this month with 2 days to spare, however facebook tells me i have 90Gb remaining.
    The login you just provided tells me much the same story :confused:
    I called Friday and negotiated an extra 5Gb of data for the remainder of the month (I blew through that in 2 days :D) I had been monitoring via the facebook App and just assumed it was a few days in arrears. Not the case.

I have just talked on the phone with Telstra and they confirm the same thing but are unable to do anything as they are undergoing system maintenance. So it will have to wait til the morning :thumbdn:
    I wonder if this is just me or is it a system wide error?
    I just took their word for it initially but being shaped 90Gb short if my limit seems to suck arse a bit, i am glad i checked.

Click to view full size!

I like Telstra's service staff - they are always polite, but i have patiently waited 3-4 weeks for my modem to arrive (after finding it wasn't sent), then had to call to get my account switched onto the faster speed (i thought registering the modem would do this automatically) and wait 2 days for the change.
    And now this?
    The speed is great and reliable & I'm happy to be realistic with business making mistakes etc but i feel i should ask for a compensation.
    Not expecting too much, but considering i just ported my 2 mobiles, foxtelHD, home phone and internet to them i'd like to feel like they value my loyalty.
    Does this seem fair? or am i over reacting?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Is anyone from WA on Bigpond Cable here? Had door to door guy try and sell me it as we have cable in the street.

Do they still route WA staffic via eastern states so you get like 180ping to all WA servers?

Same as like 400 odd ping to SEA battlenet servers.
    Like it goes WA -> SA -> Vic -> NSW -> Reach to USWest -> then to Singapore
    Compared to iiNet's WA -> Singapore 80ping.

I noticed first, about 12 years ago and the time I checked was 2 years ago now, but it still happened.

13. RETARD

RETARD New Member

So it turns out there is a system wide problem with Telstra's ability to shape its users at the correct usage.
    I'm not sure if its just for my plan or all plans but if you have been shaped its worth looking into - obviously they are aware of the issue but aren't sure when it will be resolved.
    :Paranoid:

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I use the brilliant Usage Agent, which is still kicking along after many many years :thumbup:

15. Auriga

Auriga Member

Perth Bigpond ADSL - likley similar to cable.

Better for Perth servers

Code:
    Pinging iinet.net.au [203.173.50.132] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 203.173.50.132: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=243

Seems to be the same as before for Singapore. (Despite SEA-ME-WE 3 and JASURAUS)

16. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

That's a huge difference.
    About bloddy time too :p

17. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Just signed up, got put onto elite instead of ultimate for some reason :(

Apparently I'll be switched to ultimate within 24 hours (after I rang up, and had to deal with the horrid overseas tech support until finally getting elevated to a level where they seemed to be in this country), so hopefully then I'll get a bit more than 37mbit that I'm currently getting :D

I'm on the 500gb ultimate plan...time to beef up the NAS I think :weirdo:

18. mazmorbid

I don't think it's even been one month and I have had no internet for an hour or so, anyone else having problems in Brisbane :confused:

19. RETARD

RETARD New Member

mazmorbid - this will help you
    generally the service is pretty good with short outages if there is any.
    http://servicestatus.bigpond.com/
    looks like there is some issues in QLD - not sure if thats in your region though
    dont forget there is phone 24/7 support if you have a question

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Surprising to hear the issues and sounds very localised. I've hardly had any issues in 10 years.