Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. daveo555

daveo555 Member

They have been fixing things up all around the place. I had a 6hr outage overnight about 1.5 weeks ago.

2. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

Thanks mate, will bookmark that page for future reference, but hopefully I wont need to use it ;)

Good to know :thumbup:

I hope this is the case, was fine when I woke around 6am.

3. touki

touki Member

I had the same happen to me too. I don't usually do it but I was pretty pissed off so I complained and they ended up giving me a $100 credit. That made me forget about it....

Was disappointed with the single thread O/S dl speed. After some reading at whirlpool, it would seem that upgrading to the cisco modem would help with the speeds? what are your experiences?

4. mazmorbid

Pretty happy with the Netgear one that was supplied, my speedtest.net result is on the previous page, in real life downloads I generally get 10-16MB/s through Netload.

5. touki

touki Member

I get a similar result [​IMG]

I don't really download heavily with this connection as i have 22mbit adsl2 unlimited for my server, but i did see 12mb/s using torrents. My issue is when downloading using only the one thread, I thought I would be able to achieve 5mb/s or there abouts, but in reality it is similar to my adsl2. I haven't tested this extensively, but I don't believe this to be a limitation of the foreign server more so a cap on the individual connections max speed.

6. mazmorbid

What are you using as a download manager ?

EDIT: I'm not actually sure why you have cable if you don't use it heavily for downloads ? And is your 22mbit adsl2 really giving you that bandwidth? you must be next door to the exchange ? Best I got out of my 22mbit adsl2 was 1.1MB/s (~2km from exchange) which compared to cable is nothing.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. touki

touki Member

I am fortunate in that I live 500m from the exchange. When i was looking for my place i would check adsl2exchanges for estimated speeds on all the prospective properties... I sync @ 22mbit of max 24mbit, but it is a shared connection. So i wanted something that was fast for browsing and gaming. Who doesnt want 100mbit:rolleyes:

Since the cost of the other connection is shared the money doesnt bother me. Also because its bundled i save money there.

Using multi threaded downloads i get good speeds. But if i speedtest on a us west coast server i only see a few mbit, a drastic reduction from local server results, which i didnt expect.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's about right, and a great speed :thumbup:

I could live with these sorts of speeds for many years I reckon.

9. Everlong

Everlong Member

From this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Got the modem quick and all set up easily, but as others have had happened to them in this thread, Telstra failed to upgrade the account from elite to ultimate. Quick call sorted that out and all good now.

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

[​IMG]

Awwww yeahhh

Telstra Ultimate Cable 500gb

Netgear CG3100 modem

:thumbup: :leet:

This is an EPIC upgrade from my old ADSL2+ where I got around 4-5mbit and 40ms ping at best...

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  11. Hive

Hive Member

???? :confused:

12. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

100mbps is not gigabit.

13. KriiV

KriiV Member

Where abouts are you?

14. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

a) not my money
    b) if parents can afford it then why not get it, considering it rapes ADSL?
    c) NBN won't be available in my area for ages
    d) according to current pricing this is actually cheaper AND faster than the NBN...116mbit vs 100mbit (100mbit isn't gigabit)

:confused:

15. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

templestowe VIC

16. KriiV

KriiV Member

Alright thanks. I am in Croydon, Vic. Turns out my house is available for Telstra cable. Currently on TPG ADSL2+ and getting a solid 2mbps.

What cabling does 'cable internet' use? I've heard it uses Foxtel cables or something? I dont believe I have such cables linked to my house, yet the Telstra checker believes I am able to get the service. :confused:

17. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I thought I didn't have the cables either because we've never had foxtel here (and lived here 17+ years) - turned out there was already a cable to just near the garage. Tech just ran the cable from there into the house, with a new wall plate etc.

18. KriiV

KriiV Member

If I may ask, what was the cost for that setup?

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Coax cable

If it runs in front in your house, not necessarily run into the house yet, you'll have access to it.

Generally 10+ year old areas in Metro capital city areas

20. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

$300 I think it was, including modem etc