Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. BBITS

BBITS Member

Yeah from that BF3 download thing it's exactly half of what it says, dunno why.

2. lithos

lithos Member

It's an Origin thing - it's notorious for over-quoting your download speed.

I have, for example, had Origin downloading at 1.7MB per second...when my download speed in the router was 11Mbps...

3. KriiV

KriiV Member

Installed yesterday. They put me on Elite when I asked for Ultimate. 9 calls and 3 hours later. I was on Ultimate. 120Mbps. Maxed this morning at 148Mbps.

OMG. So much better than my 150KB/s MAX on my previous ADSL.

4. lithos

lithos Member

I think I'll end up getting this - flatmate can get stuffed with her shitty ADSL. I'm getting sick of trying to train her to not fucking abuse the routers - gotta love it when she keeps them on the floor, and I got from full reception to none because she's kicked it around.

Telstra does some sort of Naked plan, right? I think I saw 80GB a month. That'll do me...to start with.

5. jmart38

jmart38 (Banned or Deleted)

As long as your house is listed with telstra you shouldn't need a home phone to get cable connected. Also worth noting that if you move houses you can have the connection moved without fucking with the contract (there is an "installation" fee, however)

6. lithos

lithos Member

The "installation", in this case, involves screwing it into the F plug behind the TV.

I've been looking into other options, too, but I fucking love how ambiguous telcos are about their plans.

"We don't want to inform you exactly how lazy our network infrastructure building has been. We know you don't want to be bothered by the details. Is our Super Speedy Cable Package Available in your area? Who knows? Maybe it's just our Shithouse ADSL2, or, better yet, our You've Gotta Be Fucking Joking over-priced 3G pack. So, instead of searching for the product you want - don't. Let us tell you what you want, because you're a customer, and therefore an idiot. So that's why all our search options require a phone number, even though only a third of our products actually need a landline. But it'll stymie you enough, we hope, to just say 'Fuck it' and click out 24-month All-In-One bundle couple with Token Useless Internet 'Appliance' and nearly 10GB of downloads for $89 a month!"

7. jmart38

Your house already has a telstra coax box and splitter plumbed in then...

8. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

It still boggles my mind that upload speeds haven't really cracked 2mbit a second! :upset: Upload speed is so important for small businesses who can't afford business DSL. Even in home situations, it makes backing up online near impossible.

9. jmart38

Surely this is imposed by the ISP. Business lines will happily do 2/2 4/4 8/8 10/10???

Have you checked what business plans are available?

10. lithos

lithos Member

Big-arse box down by the garage that has "TELSTRA HFC" on the side, too. Just gotta find the right plan. Can't do more than $90/month, but I don't want to get stuck with 50GB either.

And I certainly don't want a fucking home line, or useless Telstra T-Hub or T-Box or T-Bag or whatever they're fucking called.

11. dexster

dexster Member

finally got my modem sorted; telstra has a funny way of driving you up the wall :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

but at least it works

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This is why I'm fully happy with my Bigpond service.

[​IMG]

It doesn't get much better currently.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

still recon mine is better :)

[​IMG]

edit: so does speedtest.....WINRAR!!!!!

14. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Have almost finished networking my house, gigabit wired to all major rooms and a couple of wireless access points for laptops/tablets/phones.

Last step of achieving networking bliss - bridge the telstra netgear CG3100 to a better router, to avoid NAT table restrictions and other performance issues.

Have ordered an Asus RT-AC66U for the bridging purpose...probably stupid to get 802.11ac when I got no devices that use it lol but I couldn't help it. Hopefully next laptop/phone will use it. Look forward to seeing how it goes :)

On the topic of 100mbit cable...have been extremely happy so far. So much more stable than ADSL and the speed difference is just phenomenal.

15. smileyface224

smileyface224 Member

Yeah its amazing aye, very impressive for Australia standards.. Heaps of people i show this to are like WTF man ? How.. I don't tell them tbh.. Its funny as considering its not really any special and advanced technology.. lol

[​IMG]

16. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Yeah when I've shown semi-geek mates my speedtest 115mbit+, they're always amazed and 'wtf' at the speed. Amazing how many people aren't aware of cables existence and just assume ADSL2+ is the best internet out there.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

There was once a time when I would have been very happy to swap over to adsl2, if it were available to me......not any more. Love telstra cable! And the price/quota is fantastic right now.

18. touki

touki Member

ooohhh 118mbit, best i've seen is

[​IMG]

19. proffesso

proffesso Member

whats with the upload speed? is that normal?

20. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

It's Australia proffesso. Nothing like what you have over there.