Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. iinsom

iinsom Member

Im hoping i can get 100mbit cable in my area (already have access to 30mbit or w/e it is) and id just need a new router yeah?

2. ppantel

ppantel Member

wow that sounds great. so that means i need a new speedtouch coax modem that supports version 3?

3. FiShy

FiShy Member

triple derp?

4. hystericalme

hystericalme (Banned or Deleted)

When Telstra removed the need to bundle (trap) in order to get 100mbit, I signed up but a few months later, I downgraded to the 30mbit plan because it was extremely rare to max out the connection even using platforms such as Steam. Sure, you'll get fast transfer rates from Game Arena and 100000x threading on usenet but that's about it.

They also take your signing up as an opportunity to automatically opt you into their email spam known as Bigpond Offers which you can't unsubscribe from unless you "manage your preferences". There is no 1 click unsub.

They also dns hijack to capture typos and invalid domain names so they can redirect you to their shitty ass search engine with their suggestions.

I was lured in by idea of 100mbit but once my 12 month contract is up, I'm outta there.

5. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I agree. I always wished the mobile carriers would just turn off their towers in the areas that bitch about new mobile towers.

Don't want a new tower? Enjoy your blackspot, shitheads.
    Although part of that plan would also include publicly naming the people that sign petitions against new infrastructure, so everyone else knows exactly who the NIMBY morons are.

6. brad89

brad89 Member

Unfortunately you are mistaken. Bigpond also uses EuroDOCSIS3 - and no, that doesn't make it 400/108

You will need a compatible modem that will be provided to you by Bigpond. The current models are the Cisco EPC3925 and the Netgear CG3100 but this could (fingers crossed) change in the future.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. FiShy

FiShy Member

change the dns then

8. iinsom

iinsom Member

Er, is this only on the 100mbit because i dont get dns highjack or bigpond offers on the 30mbit service??

9. caspian

caspian Member

a landing page for invalid DNS lookups is hardly a hijack. the vast majority of the non-computer geek population would find it a plus, and the nice big "sorry, we could not find <munged domain>" is hardly trying to disguise it.

as for directing to a search engines with possible suggestions... where would you suggest it direct the request, and what do you think a search engine does?

your screen name is aptly appropriate.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Certainly is, I'm excited! :leet:

Great news. I hadn't actually heard of this yet. A lot of conjecture but that has been all to date.

11. Auriga

Auriga Member

Rubbish.

I've personally seen Telstra HFC in the ground and connected in large parts of these southern suburbs:

Yangebup, South Lake, Bibra Lake, Como, South Perth, Winthrop, Bateman, Leeming, Bull Creek.

That's not counting any northern ones either or ones I haven't seen or noticed.

As far as a know Optus never had an underground HFC option in Perth and our power poles would never support the weight or wind loads, so they never bothered.

12. drizzy

drizzy Member

What Duideka said about contention. Virginmedia in the UK have been offering 100/10, 50/5, 30/3 and 10/1 here for a while on their DOCSIS3 network and jitter/latency is shithouse. It's just not up to the task - especially on the upstream side of things.

13. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

Don't get too excited, I'm on 100mbps cable and rarely get over 5MB/sec through usenet or a download manager using multiple connections. I also live in a suburb with heaps of oldies, so can't imagine them leeching at all :lol:

And as Duideka said there's just not the bandwidth to back all these connections up :Pirate:

14. K O J A K

K O J A K Member

Most of the northern coastal corridor was wired as far as I know, which is a hell of a lot of people. Not to mention the numerous HFC networks they built or aquired in greenfield estates.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm currently able to get around 4.3Meg/s so I'd expect a reasonable boost from that.

16. martino

martino Member

Like I said, Telstra HFC covers just under 125000 houses in Perth.

17. iinsom

iinsom Member

I max my connection out on torrents and EA (Wtf) so im pretty excited :D

18. caspian

caspian Member

bear in mind that it's still contended residential internet that we pay absolutely bugger all for, and even less in the UK. check out this page. http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband-packages.html 30Mbps for under $40AUD a month with no bundle, although I note that apparently the definition of "unlimited" is a bit different than Australia's, and I notice they practice traffic shaping, especially P2P.

you simpy can't expect commercial grade service for those prices, or if you do, you will be disappointed.

19. brad89

brad89 Member

What does "Virginmedia in the UK" have to do with Optus/Bigpond in Australia?

Disable NAT, plug in via ethernet, download a couple files (using your DM) from Aarnet (unmetered) and if that doesn't double your speed, you're doing it wrong.

20. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

Aarnet is no problem downloading at 10MB/sec, I'm talking about international speed (usenet amongst others). Seeing as nearly anything worth downloading is located outside of Australia that's the speed I'm concerned with.