Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. flinchy

flinchy Member

huh, TIL

still shit though.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

huh, TIL

I love it.

3. caspian

caspian Member

any specific objections, or just mob mentality reaction there?

4. flinchy

flinchy Member

price, customer service

solid network

but you're either very wealthy, or very stupid... to go with bigpond.

5. Primüs

Primüs Member

Actually, it can save you a LOT of money when you bundle your home phone/mobile/net etc all together through Telstra/Bigpond. For those who aren't after HUGE download limits, it in a lot of cases makes sense.

50-60% agree on this one. I get really helpful reps and really crap reps. It is always the way with such a huge call team, not everyone is going to be grade-a reps.

The only reason I personally have ever had Telstra/Bigpond products.

In summary, not always.

The main grievances I have with Telstra personally are their billing system mix ups, causes me nothing but grief in my personal situation. I only stick with them because of the NextG network, but now they will be wholesaling that soon, that could even change.

6. caspian

caspian Member

so... mob mentality after all then.

price is now about the same as any other provider with a quality network, especially with bundling.

helpdesk is not great, but who cares - helpdesk droids are there to put tickets in. you don't want to talk to the monkey, you want to talk to the organ grinder.

7. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

no free usenet binary access == shit ISP, thats right there is onyl one good ISP in Australia :p .

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

Latency beats all, so only 2 good ISPs :p

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Show me your ping biatch :leet:

10. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

to where and what DSL standard/profile?

11. caspian

caspian Member

do you two want to get a room?

my fibre connection returns around 7-11ms to BP depending on time of day and will hold a sustained 2.94MB/s throughput in FDM. :Pirate:

12. flinchy

flinchy Member

$60 inc line rental for unlimited 24mbit with TPG in all capital cities (and LOTS of regional places) 1 year and it's been 24/7 uptime. 2 years prior to that were 99.9%

home phones are totally useless. you have a mobile phone right? ditch the home phone, you're wasting your money. can you use a home phone when you're out and about? no, can you use the mobile at home? yes.

like i said, for rich people and idiots.

like i said above... who bundles... who even HAS a home phone these days? why would you bundle instead of ... just not having a home phone?

unless you can cut the home phone and bundle mobile+interwebs. telstra's MOBILE network is a lot more stable than optus. optus has better hardware though.

even then i still fail to see how it works out cheaper+better than either TPG or exetel as standalone ISP's. (4ish years with exetel here, 1 of which has been on 8mbit DSL1, solid as, running off optus)

ED: i was with telstra DSL1 a few years ago. cost multiple times as much as other ISP's, we were lied to in the first place when they put us on to it. (about our usage on dialup on average)

gets the message accross, saves time :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  13. Primüs

Primüs Member

If I cut my home phone, I wouldn't even have an ADSL service, as Naked services are not available on my exchange.

If I take my mobile to some of my mates places, I get 0 reception, rendering a mobile phone useless, they might need a home phone...

Get a clue to the state of internet and telecommunications, for not just the options available to you, but nationwide.

14. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Back on topic, thanks.

15. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

I take exception to that last statement.

Let's use a provider with a network of similar quality to Bigpond (no, that isn't TPG, just look at Whirlpool for the number of complaints).

iiNet Home-2 with phone 1 ($79.90/month)
    100GB peak/100GB off peak
    256k shaping
    Freezone
    Up to 24Mbps (the majority will be 12Mbit or less, I used to sync at 5.5/900 due to exchange distance. Brand new house, new subdivision.)

Telstra Home Saver Bundle ($88/month)
    200GB any time
    256k shaping
    Bigpond unmetered (AARnet, Foxtel on Demand, gamearena, V8 supercars, AFL, NRL etc.)
    38Mbps/1.2Mbps (soon to be 100Mbps/2.4Mbps)

So for $8.10 a month extra I can use my quota at any time, have the same shaping speed and download speeds seven times faster than DSL - useful when you have many applications requiring data at once (downloading, IPTV, VoIP, FaceTime, gaming, etc). Add in discounts for my family's mobile services and it doesn't seem so idiotic then, does it? Telstra increasing the available speed to 100Mbit (18x what I can get on DSL) improves the value for money in my eyes.

Also you may not have use for a home phone, but others do - relatives living overseas get capped rates to fixed lines in Australia as opposed to mobiles. I could pay a VoIP provider to host the number for a monthly fee or bundle it as a Telstra service for $11 less than the standalone cable plan.

Yes NBN is coming but for areas serviced by HFC - these will be the last areas serviced as there is already high speed Internet available.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  16. OP
    OP
    [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Telstra home saver is actually $78 at the moment in NSW/QLD. :thumbup:

17. caspian

caspian Member

second last - Velocity will be dead last. newest infrastructure, least maintenance etc.

cable will be second last as Telstra are still extracting revenue from it, but they will still get their $3k/user payment for cutting over broadband and/or PSTN at that location.

18. CZA

CZA Member

http://www.zdnet.com.au/the-nbns-upside-in-doonside-339321938.htm

Down the road from my old place, where I used to get 38mbps cable.
    And yet, at my new place where 2304/384 is a good day, there's no sign of the NBN..

19. Abraxsus

Abraxsus Member

rollout in adelaide

Is there any way to find out when 100 mbit will come to specific areas in Adelaide? trying to figure if I should continue with my application for 30mbit cable and transition later, or wait for 100mbit. Sadly ADSL where I am is not great :(.

20. FiShy

FiShy Member

doesnt that answer the question ?

What modem do you get from bigpond? (SB5101?)