Bigpond rolling 100Mbit Cable nationwide

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Nov 23, 2011.

1. brad89

brad89 Member

OK, I bet >0% work via the captive portal.

Loser closes their account/requests a perm banned/stops posting. If you win I'll also pay your internet bills for 2012.

Edit: Have worked in the past*

Double edit: What year did you leave?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Simwah

Simwah Member

Grow up.

Any ideas when we will be able to place order for the upgrade?
    I've been off contract for 8 years now. I want speed!

3. brad89

brad89 Member

:lol:

You can fill out the EOI form and they will call you on (after) the release date, or you can call them when it's released. I don't think they will be sending out D3 HNG devices until the release date, although I believe it would prevent issues in 2 weeks time if they did/were able to.

4. Abraxsus

Abraxsus Member

I've checked with Telstra, apparently there is no way to get the new hardware (cisco EPC3925) now and go to ultimate later. Sadly the $149 upgrade is basically the only way to go.

Apparently Perth is being done first though if that helps anyone, they would not release any rollout dates to me however :(.

5. brad89

brad89 Member

Yeah Perth is tomorrow, everywhere else is December 12th.

6. caspian

caspian Member

what makes you think I *pay* for my internet connection, or that I need to justify myself to you?

I have a much simpler solution. I add you to my plonk list. problem not so much solved as doesn't exist in the first place.

and this is why I don't bother justifying myself to armchair experts.

7. brad89

brad89 Member

awww

The reason I asked when you left was because, if it was after during/after 2003 then you should know why Motorola modems can be brought over from Optus to Bigpond.

Don't be scared homie

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

You can bring a modem the other way as it will just get a new firmware via tftp, why you would block any Mac at any level other then a provisioning system I would not know.... I mean just push a new firmware with limited access that pushes users to a captive portal. Like the rest of the world does.

9. Simwah

Simwah Member

Talked to Telstra, Brisbane users can call them on the 12th to get upgraded, modems will take 3-4days to get to you.

10. Auriga

Auriga Member

Any one able to sign up in Perth today? I don't have friends or family who have cable. By chance I spoke to one HFC installer who didn't know today was the launch day (but had the new Netgear modems) and seemed skeptical it would be ready to roll today?

11. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Yep. After a hassle with one rep that said my entire suburb hadn't been upgraded, my upgrade order was placed today.

I am in Ellenbrook.

12. Lodion

Lodion Member

I also ordered yesterday, new service though, not upgrading. Installer coming out on Monday.

13. Auriga

Auriga Member

It will be interesting too see how the speeds are in Ellenbrook, if it's original E-wire. I understand that it has to also carry FTA broadcasts as well as Foxtel and Bigpond, it may not be the full 100mbit.

14. K O J A K

K O J A K Member

Spewing, I just moved to Ellenbrook and didn't even bother to look at Bigpond. Still don't trust them after they introduced the 3gb cap back in......whenever that was. (2000?)

Now I've got another year with iinet and the shitty adsl2 connection I have. :mad:

15. Speedster20

Speedster20 Member

Only Digital FTA which is likely the unencrypted part of the Foxtel broadcast (FTA channels show up in the UHF band in Ellenbrook). The spectrum previously used for analogue TV is available for other use. In that regard I can't see it being much different to Ultimate offerings in Melbourne.

Time will tell :)

16. Miff88

Miff88 Member

..... TPG isn't even enabled at all of our exchanges =(

17. caspian

caspian Member

of course not, like any boutique carrier they concentrate on the low hanging fruit.

18. Auriga

Auriga Member

How are the speeds?

19. Lodion

Lodion Member

Well they put me on Elite instead of Ultimate by mistake. But here are some domestic tests:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My "upgrade" to ultimate should go through tonight at midnight... hopefully eastern time, so 9pm Perth.

Usenet (Astraweb) has been inconsistent. I've seen it peak at up to 3MB/sec, but most items I've downloaded have averaged out to 1.7-2.1MB/sec. I had expected that to be much higher, so a little disappointing.

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

How many server connections are you using? Might need to up 'em.