1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill !!

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Ratzz, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I want to place say 5 or 6 little battery powered speakers around an old friends place. They would just randomly say "Bill" at lowish volume.. maybe sometimes hours apart, occasionally only minutes or seconds apart. Light sensitive would be nice, I'd hate to keep the old bugger awake all night. They would need to be so small that he couldn't find them unless they were to be repeating every ten seconds constantly. Kinda like that annoying cricket you can never track down, and enough of them to make it appear as though they were changing locations regularly.

Any ideas or suggestions? My electronic skills suck, but I'd have a go at making them if need be. Something off the shelf and ready to go would be even better.

The random appearance of L plates on his car is starting to get old :lol:. A for sale sign on his car is coming soon, but I love the thought of the hidden voice around his house...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Technics and mad_mic3 like this.
  2. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Haha that's the best laugh i've had for a while, thanks! Can't help though sorry, but i'm keen to see some answers as this is a great prank

3. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

This is fantastic, you're gunna send the bugger mad :p Following as I'd love to do this next time I'm back in my home town to an old friend.

cmi83 likes this.
  4. cmi83

cmi83 Member

All in one solution perhaps here.. Battery powered, MP3 Loop Playback from memory card, Size: 48x48x38mm, only 10hrs playback though

Aliexpress Speaker

Edit: This one is even smaller/much cheaper, you could just put a larger power brick connected to it maybe? No idea how to tackle light sensitivity though sorry

Aliexpress Speaker

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  5. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

you can get small units from B/day cards and packaging ..they record like 15 sec of voice ...this one I pulled from a wine bottle box .... 20180925_095500_HDR.jpg

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

There used to be one of those Dick Smith/Electronic Australia kits (which I'm sure has been replicated since) that was a cricket. It was only about half a dozen components and a pre-made PCB. It chirped when the room was noisy, then when the room was silent, (as in people looking for the annoying bug) it shut up. Was a great bit of fun for less than $20. Ebay might have something like that.

cmi83 likes this.
  7. merlin13

merlin13 Member

There was a cricket one that would only chirp when it was dark. Made one up and hid it at work, drove the cleaners nuts...

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The cricket I had could be made to work in the dark easily enough with the addition of an LDR or something similar

9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That one looks nice and simple, but with speaker its getting a little large. A little piezo speaker might be better. If it can actually record a sound though, that's a big advantage.
    The best I've found so far are called annoy-a-trons, the batteries apparently last about a month.

The best of them seems to be the Eviltron, which has a 'hey can you hear me?' function (time 2.06).

Even these are larger than I want though, but others seem to have limited battery life - like 10hrs or so.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Oh wow.. you weren't kidding about it being tiny. Sorry for wasting your time with the links then :)

11. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

You could add a small transformer and use the tiny mic as a speaker. once you have recorded the message you could also remove the press button (white wires) to get even smaller.. The greeting card ones are smaller but they only had a on/off switch
    https://www.ebay.com/bhp/recordable-sound-chip?PARM3_ID=GBH_168&FF11=GBH_168&kw=27973-1-1537848778-2202180&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/bhp/recordable-sound-chip

12. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No time was wasted. I asked for ideas, you offered some. Many thanks :)

Sounds good, except I have no idea how. What purpose does the transformer have, is it transforming the mic into a speaker? What are the other wires for, can they be removed or at least shortened?

13. Technics

Technics Member

If I was, hypothetically speaking, a massive jerk I'd make it similar to the old electronic cricket. Detect that the lights has been on and only make the noise when they get switched off (at random intervals). Go silent if the lights are switched on again and stay silent unless they have been on for a while and then switched off again. It seriously hampers any search effort. I'm not aware of any such device that allows recorded sound. If I was a committed hypothetical jerk I'd knock one up based on the Elm Chan SD player. http://elm-chan.org/works/sd8p/report.html

cmi83 likes this.
  14. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Remind me to never piss you guys off!

15. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Sooo aptly named.

You are a cruel person Ratzz :lol:

16. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

17. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

think it is so you can match the impedance, you can use a speaker as a mic (like some older intercom systems) or a mic as a speaker.. ...the wires are mic, speaker, switch to record and light sensor .....