1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Aug 13, 2010.

1. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

GTX 580 and an i7-950... running the latest nvidia 314.22 drivers. According to PCGW there's a known problem with i7's crashing, hopefully that's my problem.

I've suspected for a while that my GPU might on its way out, I've had very mild artifacting in other games, but this crash is very consistent... At the same spot every time... I posted on the 2K forums and someone else was having the same issue, nothing new on there yet.

Already included the dxdiag and msinfo reports, so hopefully that will skip a step. If they come back saying it's a known issue and a patch is imminent great, if not I'll do whatever troubleshooting they want if it gets me a fix (short of reformatting).

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Just finished 1999 mode. Much, much more enjoyable especially while doing the various achievements.

@soulblade: are you forcing any settings in control panel/dx injectors? Mine crashed at a couple points at the beginning of the game when I was.

3. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Only adaptive vsync. I do have backgroundlevelstreaming set to false, but I've tried setting that back to True and that didn't fix it. I've tried running at default settings and minimum settings.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

doing ini tweaks don't really help they're only good for doing max and min fps and fov.

5. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I have a GTX570 but I have a AMD 8350.

I wonder what the DLC will be about?

I hope that it reveals more about Booker (what a name, BOOKER, everytime Liz threw me something in a fight it sounded like "BOOGER"), because there is a big gap where in the universe where he does get baptized and goes onto become comstock..

Even after he was baptized, how did he go onto to find out about parallel universes, was it from the Lucete twins? Once he had the ability to jump universes it's obvious how he can collect technology to come back and build the city, although Liz mentions it was the Lucetes that made the city fly, so somehow comstock go involved with them.

I think finding out more about how he became comstock would be a good path to go on, because it doesn't take away from the fact you have effectively stopped the infinite loop of giving up Anna.

Also one other thing.. didn't they totally change universes at one point? I think it was in the gun smiths around about that time, and Elizabeth say something like "I don't think we can go back from this" or something. And you go through, and suddenly all of the rebels are attacking? So wouldn't there be two bookers and two Elizabeths now? Not really sure on that one.

I didn't notice any of this.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

They changed the Universe twice in the same gunsmith section, in the 2nd one booker had already died (matyr for the vox). And I'd hazard there is only one Elizabeth, the singular elizabeth has presence in two dimensions (Pinky getting cut off). She's more or less a "timelord" of sorts, like the Lutece's. Only Comstock has been draining her power for his prophecies.

7. Sankari

Sankari Member

OK, first major gripe: there is no in-game map. This beggars belief. :wired:

The complexity of the environment makes it difficult to know where you are in relation to anything else without a map, and it would be extremely helpful in some of the larger buildings.

We had maps in the previous Bioshock games. Why not this one?

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I never really had an issue getting lost at all, and I only used that in-game objective arrow thing once or twice. I found the levels to be fairly linear in design, not sure how you had issues.

9. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Yeah just press N and you know where to go. It's pretty linear anyway.

Yeah OK forgot about the martyr thing. I suppose it doesn't matter which one he goes to because if he 'smothers comstock in his crib' then none of those universes exist, even though they existed? Or do they? I don't really see how he can ever stop the other universes, because there is always another one where, say, the elizabeths didn't drown him at the end?

Interesting article (HUGE spoilers dont click unless you have finished both games really):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ck-infinite-you-might-have-missed-completely/

But it still leaves me wondering, what did we really accomplish at the end?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  10. Sankari

Sankari Member

Finding out where you're supposed to go for the main story is not the problem; the game just drives you forward on rails (which is unfortunate because it breaks the sense of immersion and reminds you that gameplay is strictly linear). If that's what I wanted from a game, I would have switched my brain off and bought a console.

Finding other places for side missions and specific items is a major problem.

For example, I want to go back to the gun replica shop and steal the heater gun. But I can't find the way back to that area, and even if I did, I'd still have to find the shop.

I want to go back to another area and look for the cipher to decrypt the code on a wall. But I can't remember which area it's in, let alone which building it's in, let alone the place where I'm supposed to look for the code.

None of these details are recorded in-game, so unless you literally write them down or use an online walkthrough, you're stuck with a tedious half hour of trial and error (at least!) as you try to blunder your way back to where you think something might be found.

In short: if you want to find or do anything in a previous area that isn't directly related to the plotline, you're screwed. The game gives you a beautiful world to explore, and then discourages you from exploring it by making the process as irritating as possible.

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

I think it's more than a theory, its more or less directly implied imo. I made that connection the moment we returned to Rapture. Fink also created the songbird based off seeing the Big Daddys in Rapture using the tears at Comstock's request to look after Liz

I dont think the point was 'what did we accomplish' etc, it was to highlight the concept of infinite parallel universes, Choices and Consequences etc

I think the upcoming DLC may help to flesh out the story a bit.....or (im hoping) cast a seperate story altogether from another characters perspective (The Luteces' maybe)

12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Having elizabeth drown booker at the place of the baptism creates a paradox, elizabeth can't exist after that because comstock isn't born and elizabeth is a result of comstock taking anna. This can be interpreted in a few ways with the after credits scene. Comstock line gets written out entirely and Booker continues to live normally with anna or it turns into a loop and the story starts again with the Lutece's bringing a booker back by going through the door to anna's bedroom. The first is more preferable for closure, the second makes more sense in the 4th wall kind of way if you go for another playthrough.

13. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

That was my thoughts exactly when I played through that scene for the first time, however, I think they tried to explain that off by having the Elizabeths fade out of existence at the end one by one.

Alot of time travelling works of fiction employ the same technique (hell even BTTF had Marty fading out rather than instantaneously vanishing)

14. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

oh wow, didn't notice this awesome easter egg:

Potential spoiler
    http://i.imgur.com/UXe3Oo6.jpg

It's cool for two reasons,

1) is that in this universe, star wars is playing at a 1912? theatre in paris (or is it 1980's like her old Elizabeth version), and

2) the movie title is "Revenge of the Jedi" in french "La Revanche Du Jedi". This was the original title for "Return of the Jedi".

Very cool :)

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

OR....
    are the big daddies based on songbird after finding songbird at the bottom of the ocean in the middle of Rapture?

16. leck

leck Member

From memory there was a car or bus heading towards the tear when she closed it, which left me with the opinion it was actually a different time (future)

17. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Yep. I think that it was meant to be
    the year that return of hte jedi came out in paris - perhaps also 1984? But possibly 1983.

18. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

Finished it last night, had to think hard about the ending but I guess I made sense of it.

Great game - and the ending was good when you think about it.

This is probably the best explanation Ive seen for it;

It draws parallels to Schrodinger's Cat. Before the baptism, he is both Booker and Comstock. Once the baptism takes place, he is either Comstock (if he took the baptism) or Booker (if he rejects it). Once the Elizabeths plunge him into the water, the baptism begins and he becomes Comstock, but they drown him. (Note: they must kill him before he gets up. If they wait, many Comstocks branch out). Thus ALL Comstocks are eliminated, only Booker(s) remain and that is what you see after the credits.
    So happy ending really :)

19. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I'd say it is 1984, because when liz takes you to new york as it's being bombarded (when she is old) there is a advertisement for a car that says "New for 1984..".

20. yiker

yiker Member

I've played one or two games in my life and, well this really is in my top 2, hard to discern between this and Borderlands. Speaking of which, I had the voice of Rosalind Lutece pegged as Tannis, turns out Jennifer Hale is the female Shepard from the ME series. Hmmmm irony.