1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Straferight

Straferight Member

:O

What about charging?! Charge in, regenerate shields, own all enemies (use increased crit gear, shock enemies gear and melee attacks have 70%chance to do large fire damage) literally nothing lives (except the bosses) and you stay invincible.

2. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Nah, didn't upgrade a thing either. Just pulled out the carbine. Pop pop pop, watched motherfuckers drop.

3. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

Says games should focus on having gameplay come first
    games should focus on you know, what actually defines a game

idiot 1 - well that's just like your opinion, man!
    no it's actually in the definition. There would be no difference in playing COD or BS:I compared to just watching play thorough on YouTube

idiot 2 - haha look at this guy suggesting games focus on gameplay what a wanker

also if you actually think pressing buttons = gameplay

then really there isn't much more to say

4. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Still standby my point though, you can have superb gameplay, but without a quality story behind a (mostly) linear FPS game then you have no reason to keep people interested in going from point A to point B.

For a single player game, story is just as important as gameplay. For multiplayer then yes, it's gameplay only, but Bioshock Infinite shipped without multiplayer, so your "Gameplay only" focus is a bit narrow minded.

5. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

You need to have a little more tact with your replies if you want to be taken seriously.
    "It's shit."
    Why?
    "Because it's shit. And linear."
    I don't agree.
    "YOU ARE AN IDIOT".

Also calling a game shit because it's a linear shooter is like saying WoW is a shit game because it's a MMOPRPG..

6. power

power Member

I think one other thing I really enjoyed was that it had a proper health system, there was no mash f button to open stuff as well. They just seem like a chore in other games, regen health and qte to open things really just get in the way of fun.

I loved experimenting with the different Vigors thought was fun too. It was a very competant game overall and the last hour of the game made it all worthwhile. I don't know that I'd give it a 9 or 10 as a score but definitely an 8.

7. mrthong

mrthong Member

am i the only one that wants this turned into a movie?

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

nop this would be awesome. But who would direct this is another issue.

Tarrentino? it needs to be uber violent and convincing.

After watching Django its possible.

9. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

IIRC there was a Bioshock movie that actually went quite far into the pre-production phase before it was scrapped because Ken Levine didn't like the script. The movie was based on the original Bioshock not Infinite. Gore Verbinski of POTC fame was the director.

Found the article
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...onally-killed-off-the-bioshock-film-heres-why

10. jcocks

jcocks Member

Yeah I heard there was supposed to be a movie made. I was wondering what happened to it.

Personally, I think Infinite would make a better movie. You could tie the other bioshocks into it as well, since I there's seems to be an overall plot arch between them all now....

11. Shimmy

Shimmy Member

Great idea, and the audience could sit there with a single button labelled 'F' on it and collectively press it as fast as they can to progress to the next part of the story. Just like playing the game!

Ok now I'm just being a dick. :p

12. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

Not really. That's like saying films should focus on cinematography, editing and visual effects. According to you we should abandon all films that don't focus on these techniques but only tell a plain story because they don't focus on what defines the medium. So when you say that playing a game for its story is the same as reading a book, you really do just sound like a wanker. This difference quite obviously is immersion.

13. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

There was 'mash button to pick stuff up'...which seemed silly.

Again, the presentation was amazing, the story was alright, the gameplay was just a chore to get to the rest of it.

Ultimately I can't really recommend it as a 'fun game' to play.

My opinion of course.

I do wish games would focus on being fun first, THEN adding other stuff like amazing story + visuals. Can't really think of a game in recent years that i've found immensely entertaining for the gameplay itself. Worms reloaded maybe?

EDIT: On the other hand i'm also a bit sick of immersive games like this that are lazy with the level design. Walk into room - enemies run in. Kill them. Briung on 2nd wave etc. And the room is fully designed as a 'game level' rather than a real life place. Doing that just seems to kill immersion AND gameplay

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. power

power Member

Yeah the F to pickup items is annoying however it works in with the having to choose if you want some things.

I would prefer to just hoover money up as I walk over it myself.

15. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

I did dislike that about Infinite. Bioshock level design felt (relatively speaking) more like naturally planned places each with their own personality and a simplistic ecosystem of Splicers, Little Sisters and Big Daddies that existed independently of the palyer. Infinite is clearly segregated between combat and non-combat spaces - one with civilians and one with enemies - and the enemy spaces are carefully designed for enemies at one side and Booker at the other with rare exception in areas with skylines.

16. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Yep. Then you get the 'then this level is designed so that in the first wave, there is 4 machine gun guys plus two patriots...' etc. Kill that wave, bring on the other carefully designed 'game' mix of bad guys. Meh.

17. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

Since when is linear shooter a genre

BS is a FPS-RPG (a bad one) and BS:I is more of a action adventure FPS

You misunderstood me. I said if you are playing a game solely for the story then you may as well read actual literature because the writing in most games is total shit.

I said gameplay should be the first concern and all else subsidiary. sidescrollers didn't need some crappy story to make them great. no one cares why yoshimitsu is fighting at the latest tekken tournament. If people need to be kept occupied by a story and can't make it A-B on gameplay alone then the game has failed.

18. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

OK, so if the game has great graphics, good game play, and a great story - its good but only because the game play matters.

Makes sense.

19. MyElbowFellOff

MyElbowFellOff Member

But playing a game for the story is always a different experience than reading a book because it is easier to project yourself onto the experience of the protagonist, especially in a first person game. It doesn't really substitute, even if the game story is linear. If people can play a game and enjoy the story, then what exactly is the fucking problem? Playing a story-driven game doesn't stop people from reading books or playing more tactical games. Just because people like story doesn't mean they think every game needs a story and can't enjoy a game with shit story. You're just harping on about what you value in games which is fine, but you're presenting it as some universal rule book of which game is more valid of being a game, and that is bullshit.

20. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Bullshit... Spec Ops The Line had the most mediocre gameplay ever, but was absolutely amazing due to the interesting story.

Tekken is hardly a good example... it's an arcade game FFS... it is a button masher.