Bioshock issues/fixes

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Warpy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dcunneen

dcunneen Member

Yeah mate, you should be running max detail easily with that rig, especially with only 12x10 res.

Make sure you're using the updated forceware drivers that include the fixes for bioshock (163.44 or greater).

Also make sure your pagefile is sufficient & healthy, and everything is defragmented (although that shouldn't cause as big a problem as you're getting).

And check out ole PersianImmortal's tweak guide at www.tweakguides.com

let us know how you go :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Is it worth going 163.44 or greater if I have a 7900GTX?

3. Crashoveride

Crashoveride Member

yeah i've got the latest drivers that are out which are supposed to help bioshock.

Also i'm not sure about my RAM, if maybe that is effecting it...
    4x DDR2 PC2-4300 (266 MHz) 512 MB, Corsair

Should be alright shouldnt it???

I'll run a defrag later and check out how it goes then

4. RaptureTechOz

RaptureTechOz New Member

2900xt / 2gb 800mhz corsair / Q6600 / Max settings @ 1440x900

Runs flawlessly so far :)

5. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Sounds like the system is desperately hungry for RAM, as if 3 of those sticks are sleeping. Same symptoms as when I tried to run Serious Sam 1 with 128MB of RAM. Walk around a new corner or face an enemy & the system bogs down & jerks.

I'm running 162.18 in my sig PC & there are no problems. Almost perfectly smooth at 1280x1024 noAA noAF mostly high details. Dust & smoke don't slow the machine down, mainly high detail corpses & detailed floor textures slow it down a fair bit.

6. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

get the latest beta drivers.

pretty sure they include a fix for bioshock.

7. rtaylo13

rtaylo13 Member

I bought Bioshock on release day and have only managed to play it for a few hours before giving up. It just runs so bad. Haven't touched it since. I've got all the latest drivers like yourself, and have a 2.9GHz C2D, 2GB 800MHz RAM and a 8800gts.

It was exactly the same with the last CONSOLE PORT game I purchased: Splinter Cell Double Agent. Unplayable. Am I bitter? Ooooooooohhhhhhh yeaahhhhhhh!

8. power

power Member

while performance isn't exactly stellar, it is quite playable and doesn't have any load pauses - the only times i get real slowdown is during big firefights (right when you need lag) running everything on/up @ 1680*1050 on an E6600@3.2 with 2GB RAM/7800GTX 256@stock and Vista 32, 163.44 although i noticed no increase in perf over 162.22...

9. Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Anyone? stupid letter limit gay.

10. Reva

Reva Member

11. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

i'll see what i can do when i get home mate ;)
    a. im playing on medium (1st time through) and almost finished. i think i have a save in the FF stage...
    b. i killed a few little sisters early on in this save-game :/

really... id personally just start again instaed of using someone elses save... did i get the plasmids you did.. probably not, did i upgrade the same gun?... did i save or harvest the little sisters... lol this game is cool as ;) so much variety .... have you got camo/invisibility yet?

isnt really a hard game on medium skill IMHO (go figure medium isnt that hard LOL@self)

let me know what u think.. if you still want the saves i can upload them tonight (when i get home from work)

12. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

i think you've got a problem there mate... that rig should eat this game. my 1.86GHz CDC, 2Gb & 7900gs run this game just fine appart from the slow load at the start of a level....

13. Nemeseeesss

Nemeseeesss Member

This might sound strange but try setting everything to max. some games actually use more processes to run settings that aren't utilising your entire system so by maxing out the settings it might spread all usage across your system.

Also, try disabling any virus scanners extra apps that might be using all resources.

Another thing you can try is enabling/disabling directx 10 (if using vista) and see if that changes anything. Also buy more ram!

14. TaroT

TaroT Member

vista business 64 bit
    q6600@3.2
    8800gts @621/999
    4 gig of ram
    and in vista it runs very nicely @1680 1050 everything in game to max and control panel settings 16xaf 8xaa(not that that matters as this game doesn't do AA)
    and etc etc all maxed up
    still runs fine(demo that is) no slowdowns no pauses

now running in xp i noticed it was a touch hitchy so maybe ram is an issue as i have 32 bit windows so of course some of my ram is on a council break :)

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wind XP 32bit
    8800GTS
    AMD 6000+
    4G Ram at default
    Asus M2N-SLi deluxe

No overclocking. The game runs beautifully, all settings maxed.

16. martron

martron Member

You should definantly be getting far better performance considering how much better your system is to mine.

I'm running it maxed out with no lag (even in fire fights) @ 1680x1050 with a 4800+ X2, 2 gig Kingston PC3200 and an 8800GTS 640mb.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely should be ok! Perhaps you could dual boot with another fresh image of XP and see how it goes. With the dual boot you can always go back to your original OS later.

18. Crashoveride

Crashoveride Member

I removed BioShock and installed it on one of my other drives. Its running alot better now and isnt doing what it was before. Runs really smooth. I
    Im not sure if it was the install, or if it was something to do with the drive it was on.

19. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Anyone have any trouble turning off item shimmer / glowing objects? Toggling between on and off makes no difference.

XP 8800GTX with 163.69 forceware

20. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

As posted in Official Bioshock sound issues thread.

Post #192.

For those of you with EAX or OpenAL soundcards.

Obviously you are having issues.

Just disable EAX and Reverb. (Since i have a Audigy 2 ZS i enabled Pro Logic, i suggest you do too, great sound renderer)

Fixes everything.

No more clicks,pops,crashes,slowdowns or lost sounds.

Also the game runs very fast and smooth.

The only other game with advanced audio features (EAX x.x and OpenAL) like this (that has the exact same problems) is Colin McRae DiRT (RIP)

Seems these latest multiplatform, Vista/XP (EAX and OpenAL) games have issues.

Alot of issues.

Doubt 2K will get of their grasses and actually fix the issues (not just with the sound but all the rest)

Instead we get chitty news about some attention grabbing click that drew BioShock on a Etcha-Sketch..........

Whoops free king do !

Anyway, i am going to get back to playing BioShock.

Also, do not forget to update your chipset and audio drivers.