Birds by the River

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by negatron, Feb 6, 2009.

1. negatron

negatron Member

Hey hey all,

Its my first post to the gallery and I was wondering if you could give me some constructive criticism and tips on how to improve.

Here's a link to some shots in the gallery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

P.s. would appreciate some advice on #4 and #6

In #4 I could have sworn I focused on the bird and it wasn't swimming away quickly.

Why did it end up so... out of focus?

and it looks like the edges and details in #6 is less sharp then in #7, could someone help?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. two40

two40 Member

did you use auto mode for #4? was it auto or manual focus?

i would suggest you take it easy on the tilt. it only works with some shots and even then it's hard to pull off well.

4. aftahours

aftahours News Monkey

In my opinion the subject just wasn't interesting enough. I've made the same mistake many times. Although a few of them have the tilt and you have done a few unusual things, it just boils down to being a pretty bland subject to take photos

5. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

I think your first pic isn't so bad, but you have definitely gone over board with the angled shots.

As the others have said, the subject itself isn't interesting enough. However, in saying that, the subject could of been more interesting, if you had just focused on it by itself, without the distracting chain/links in the photo. You could have also had the bird in focus and cropped out the chain? Just some thoughts.

Those angles on some of those shots are definitely too much! Go easy ;)

Out of curiousity, what gear was being used to take these shots?

6. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

Hey all,

thanks for the advice!

Much noteness on the boring subjects and the o/d on the tilting (i think I too recognized the subjects were a bit bland.

All of these were taken in manual mode but I just started learning how to shoot "full" manual hence somewhat inconsistant quality on how the shots turn up for now...

the #4 shot was in manual but i could have sworn i did everything right.

1 - half press shutter button, focus square beeps on birdie.

2 - read the little light meter in the view finder,

3- fiddle with shutter speed & apature values until light meter reads -0.3 ev

4 - shoot.

As for the gear I use a sony A700,

All the wide angle shots were with a Tamron 11 - 18 and the closeups were with a minolta 70 - 210 f/4

7. MWP

MWP Member

Why are you trying to shoot full manual?
    Very rarely is it needed these days with TV & AV doing such a good job.

8. ehor

ehor Member

#7 is my fav shot from that series.
    Looks like the bird is chained at the feet :p

9. Deckham

Deckham Member

CC:

#1 -
    A nice scene. But not captivating. Why?
    The tilt, along with the odd angles of the pier, is slightly annoying. It makes me want to look away.
    The concrete portion bottom left is distracting.

Suggest:
    This may look better in a wider format, cropping the lower section and part of the sky. It will not make it an outstanding photo, simply because it is relatively common. But it will look better.

#2 -
    Ok - the tilting thing? There is an art to it. It is used effectively for rare situations and visual flows. When used nonchalantly, it is annoying. It is complex to explain, but in short - when you have a natural flow or line that runs diagonally through a frame - even sun rays, a tilt adds another dimension and focus to it. Use it wisely and sparingly.

The is no subject that stands out here. The boat/crew are not only too far away, but are also backdrop'ed by the fountain - which is a strong element in frame. These two clash, diffusing the effect of both. Lots of empty space that says nothing.

Suggest:
    Plan your shots. Time your shots. See through your viewfinder and imagine the scene framed and hanging in a gallery or on your living room wall. Consider your backgrounds with as much respect as your foregrounds/main subjects. Consider your subjects and move your feet. Look for interesting point-of-views (PoV) to capture a scene in an interesting and/or unusual way.

#3 -
    As #2
    Tilt/angle/PoV/Interest

#4 -
    A photograph stands out for three general reasons. Technical quality, emotive message/story/emanation, and originality.
    #4 scores very low in Technical. Out of focus, as i am sure you can see. It scores very low in Emotion. The only 'story' I get from it, is a creature traveling away from me. Yet, since I know it is a common duck, it holds no interest. It scores very low in originality. Ducks in ponds are one of the most common subjects shot.

If you need to know why it is OOF, ask - and post EXIF.

Suggest:
    If you want to experiment with out-of-focus (OOF) shooting, try and ensure that the other two general areas score high.

#5 -
    Tilt is distracting, disorientating, and feels contrived. You do not need to do this. It does not make a photo feel special. This is (forgive me) a n00by mistake.

There are some nice lines, and particularly, light in this photo. But it is spoiled.

Suggest:
    Look at your scene. Consider how to best capture it. You stopped here for a reason. Show us what grabbed your attention, and grab ours.

#6 -
    Tilt grrrrrr
    Here, you have another common issue. You have two subjects that compete with each other. The duck is oof, as is the ring. Part of the chain is in focus - the boring bit.

Suggest:
    See above for tips.

#7 -
    Tilt!!!
    As above, but better focused. If you need help with focus, ask.

#8 -
    Ima gonna slap you. Tilt!!!!
    Wrong subject focused.

#9 -
    Now you're getting ridiculous, and my neck is hurting. Is #10 upside down?

Hahaha - just trying to help you, mate :)

10. wakko

wakko Member

I think the others have commented on the tilting... that was my biggest thing that I noticed... so not much to add apart from that.

oh and that Deckham's post made me chuckle toward the end! :D:D

11. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

Much lol ness and shame at my addiction to tilting.

How funny would it be if i posted a pic of me and i'm in a tilted neck cast?

hahahahhaha.

Seriously though, I'll note the tiltiness of my pics.

Here's a couple more pics to prove that I can shoot without the tilt hahaha

ps. 10 isn't upside down.

[​IMG]

This one isn't a great pic, but it made me laugh, behold the sad truck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  12. ehor

ehor Member

It's great you can take C&C instead of snapping back :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    negatron

negatron Member

I'd better take C&C, I've only had my camera for like 3 months...

So there's plenty plenty to learn

14. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

you can learn so much from CC

good post deckham