1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Birthday Dinner (56k beware)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by twinhardballers, Oct 12, 2008.

1. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

Well just cooked my mum dinner last night at her house for her birthday as stated in my other food thread, I thought some of you might be interested in some of the food I made, so I thought I'd post the recipes and how to on here for everyone to see :D

Ingredients: These are the ingredients I used, minus the butter and eggs which I conveniently left in the fridge for the photo

[​IMG]

So what I had there was (from left to right sort of) Thyme, Parsley, Parmesan cheese, rosemary salt, pepper, risotto rice, 1 brown onion, 2 white potatoes, bread crumbs, prosciutto ham, extra virgin olive oil, Iberian jamon, chicken stock, dijon mustard, 5 racks of lamb cutlets (6 cutlets in each rack), truffle oil, and truffles (I didn't end up using these)

Entrée : OK so the Entrée I chose was inspired by a dish I had at the restaurant Urbane in Brisbane city, it consists of truffle mashed potatoes, with a fried egg yolk ontop, with a side of Iberian jamon atop sourdough bread (in this case I used french loaf). Ends up being a sort of deconstructed rich man's bacon and eggs haha.

Step one was to make the mash, just peel and cut the potatoes, then boil until soft, then mix with butter/truffle oil and milk and mash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step two is to make the fried egg, I'm sure everyone knows how to do this, so I'll just have a finished shot of the eggs, cut away the whites to make it look nice :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Step three, which the eggs are cooking, place the bread into the oven at 180 degrees C for 2-3 mins to toast it up for serving.

[​IMG]

Here is the final plating with the Iberian jamon placed ontop of the french toasted bread and the egg yolk ontop of the truffle mash (excuse my noob photo's)

[​IMG]

Onto the mains!

Herb crusted roast rack of lamb: I got this recipe from a youtube clip of Gordon Ramsay, and pretty much followed it to the letter, here is the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFaV8i92QY but just for the sake of it, I'll go through my process of making it too:

making the herb crust:

Put thyme, rosemary, parsley, bread crumbs, and parmesan in the blender, add a spash of truffle olive oil to it and blitz till you have a crumbly consistency:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

Next get your lamb ready by scoring the fat layer and putting some cracked salt and pepper onto it, then searing in a hot pan (as Gordon Ramsay says - "It's simple maths, no colour, no flavour"), once seared, place in an oven at about 180 degrees C and leave for 8 minutes:

[​IMG]

Once the lamb is springy to touch, you can take it out to coat with breadcrumbs, to coat it you'll need a brush and the dijon mustard. Liberally apply the dijon and then dip the lamb into the crumbs as if you were dipping sherbet, don't skimp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once all the rack's of lamb are coated, place back on the oven tray and leave in the oven for 3 mins (med rare) or 5 mins (medium, as my mum likes) at 180 degrees C

[​IMG]

Truffle Risotto Side: I used a basic mushroom risotto youtube recipe for this, then modified it to use with truffles. While the lamb is in the oven for the first time, chop onion and add oil and onion to a hot pot to sweat.

[​IMG]

Bring the chicken stock to the boil, then simmer while the onion is cooking (I used 2 cups of risotto rice and 6 cups of chicken stock)

[​IMG]

add prosciutto ham to onion and mix, then add the risotto rice, and start slowly ladling the chicken stock into the rice, adding more as each ladle gets absorbed.

[​IMG]

Make sure to keep stirring to prevent the rice from sticking to the pot. Once all the stock has been absorbed, add 3 tablespoons butter, and a decent handful of parmesan cheese.

[​IMG]

Mix the butter and cheese in until melted, then lower heat and serve up on a plate with the cutlets from the racks of lamb. Here it is being plated:

[​IMG]

and then on the table:

[​IMG]

For the Dessert I ended up just getting a New York Baked cheesecake from the cheesecake shop, sorry no pics of that one, but I'm sure you all know what that looks like. Also didn't really know what to call this thread, so just called it "birthday dinner" lol, hope I made everyone hungry!

I'm happy to answer any questions too :D

2. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

oh man, that lamb and risotto look fantastic!!! Great work :)

3. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

thats looks greeeeat!~
    just nitpicking here, u cud hav garnished it abit better:rolleyes:

4. OP
    OP
    twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

lol yeah, i was gunna put some of the leftover parsley on there, it does look a bit bare, but the troops wer hungry, so i served up quickly heh

5. pugsley

pugsley Member

Classic beverage choices there. I never would have picked mountain dew to go with risotto though :p

While the presentation may not be there im sure it tasted fantastic. And when cooking for family and friends, thats the main thing!

6. Dale-C

Dale-C Member

Where did you get that Mountain Dew from?

7. OP
    OP
    twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

most woolies stock it i beleive? my stepdad is american, so there's always stock of it at mum's house

8. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

are you serious?

9. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

south australians:rolleyes:

10. Dale-C

Dale-C Member

Yes I'm serious, can't get it anywhere in SA but KFC!

11. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

looks good man!
    i made somthing similar, but used pistachios and small amount of lemon zest in the crumb coating. soooooooooooo good! (need to modify the recipe, too much lemon, not enough garlic, mayb one day i'll post)
    in the mean time, what does truffle oil add to this dish over using, say olive oil?

12. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

shit, you guys are missing out then ahah

13. danyell

danyell Member

awwww.... he loves his mum! much respect, i'm sure she was super proud of you for going to that effort mate and you made her day!