bit of a dilemma....

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by PC enthusiast, Dec 1, 2017.

1. PC enthusiast

PC enthusiast Member

Please ignore my name as I really dislike it lol. But here's my dilemma with upgrade choices:

My current PC build is:

i7 4790k
    msi mpower max z97
    32gb HyperX fury DDR3 1866MHz
    2x GTX980ti's evga FTW
    2x 256GB samsung red SSDs
    2x 4TB WD blues
    2x 3TB WD greens
    H100i cooling cpu
    6x corsair ml140 fans
    2x corsair ml120 fans
    nzxt switch810
    ax1200i

During summer my PC heat output has been too much for my liking. The room just feels muggy and the GPUs sit at around 80 to 90 degrees celsius under load.
    At night time I would like the ability to play games without the need to max my fans.

So my issue is: do i upgrade the GPU to a 1080 and watercool the lot (CPU, GPU & MB) or do I invest in a completely new build? I'm not restricted to a budget but imo a GPU upgrade & full loop might serve me well. But a second opinion would be great too.

I'm currently gaming on a 24" 144hz monitor but will either upgrade to a 27" 144hz monitor (will run both the 24" & 27") or will upgrade to a single 34" 100hz monitor (if i can find one that doesn't suffer too much backlight bleed).

I won't be making any upgrades until Boxing Day sales but would greatly appreciate some advice between now and then. Cheers!

2. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

Is the room where your PC is have air conditioning? If not it wont matter whether you air cool or water cool as it will eventually just get hotter and hotter.

3. OP
    OP
    PC enthusiast

PC enthusiast Member

Nope - no dedicated AC apart from the evaporative cooling. I just want the ability to play games at night without revving the fans too much.

I would watercool the current GPUs but I believe there aren't any waterblocks that are compatible. That's why I'm leaning towards the 1080, watercool the lot and hopefully the fans can stay quieter. But a new PC build isn't out of the question just yet... i just can't decide if I should upgrade or start over

4. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

OK,need to know what your ambient (room) temperatures are when you have the high PC (component) temperatures.
    In other words if your ambient is only 25C and you have high PC temps then it's PC airflow/coolant related.

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

Room temp-23'c
    CPU bench measured on top of case-28'c
    GPU bench measured on top of case-29'c
    CPU max temp-72'c
    GPU max temp-85'c

I live in hell, air flow wise.
    4770k @ 4.4ghz twin push fan AIO - 1080ti @ stock on air - SSD drives - Prodigy ITX with 1 side fan.

You need to reduce your thermal load, watercooling will only reduce some noise or all noise if you can get away with no radiator fans.....again reduce load.....SLI cards don't help....running 2550x or 4K on ULTRA won't help either
    The thermal load goes into the water, through the rads but has to be moved out by fans externally.
    Single gpu @ stock and 1080p on ULTRA
    If it's noise, get a set of good headphones..:p:p:p

6. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Mount the rad outside the window & youll be gtg...

7. im late

im late Member

Sounds like you prefer silence and less heat.

With that much extra heat coming from all those drives, CPU and GPU's no wonder you have created this thread.

Watercooling will reduce the noise (the right fans can spin slower so less noise there), but the same heat is being expelled into the room.

Above post might sound extreme, but to be honest that is the only way to have silence and no heat in your room.

It moves the fans and heat away from your room.

But yeah I would not go that far myself.

8. everybodies

everybodies Member

i think it's SLI. i'd go single GPU.
    i used to run 2 x EVGA 780ti's and changed it to a single MSI 980ti and pretty much 100% sure i wont be doing SLI again, the heat and the noise is just too much

im late likes this.
  9. im late

im late Member

Good post above, I would go further to add getting rid of the drives you have and just having two 8TB drives. Less heat produced in your case with two instead of four. If that is bill shock you can always sell off your exsistImg drives to offset upgrade cost.

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

Can always put the pc in another room and use a wireless keyboard/mouse/earphones and a fairly long hdmi cable

11. OP
    OP
    PC enthusiast

PC enthusiast Member

Thanks for the responses!

My average room temp is around 23degrees celsius. Mounting a rad outside the window would be sweet but not really practical for me haha. I might try the above suggestion and buy 1x 8TB drive to replace the 2x WD greens.
    I want to keep my 2x 4TB WD blues as one is for game installs and the other for multimedia. I do have fans installed near my HDDs & SSDs to try keep them cooler.

I guess over the next week/Christmas holidays I'll look into selling off my GPUs and buy a new 1080 - then I'll be back here asking about watercooling :p cheers!

12. FOTW

FOTW Member

If you can manage spend the extra $$$ and get the 1080ti :D
    Rest of your rig is sound.

13. koopz

koopz Member

dude...

you obviously know why to upgrade your GPU in your situation.

Allow us to record your request, and look into why

14. connico

connico Member

Upgrade to single gpu and move all your storage to a network storage device that lives somewhere else. Get aircon in your room as the upgrade...

15. ChickenSausage

ChickenSausage Member

980Ti's throw out some serious heat by themselves let alone in SLI, as others said ditch them and get a single card.

16. schmoove

schmoove Member

Agree.
    Get 3 of those 4 mech hard drives out of the room on the network somewhere else.