Bitcasa - Unlimited Cloud Storage (beta)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by kogi, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kogi

kogi Member

2. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

3. Bad Sektor

Bad Sektor Member

Sounds to me like deduplication of the raw or crypto-resultant blocks to me.

Very typical in SAN type environments that I've been exposed to, all the system is doing is comparing blocks, even encrypted ones, of whether they are the same or not. Using checksums to fingerprint and identify unique chunks of data it determines whether it is duplicated.

Deduplication typically (NetApp world) calculates a checksum of the block as a scheduled async pass after the data has been written to the filesystem, it checks whether the checksum matches stored checksums, and decides whether it needs to keep it or not, so regardless if the block is 'as the data was uploaded' or if it were an encyrpted block, it could be repeated in some form.

Even encrypted files, if two are the same, will generate the same encrypted result, which would explain typical deduplication in their environment, unless of course the encryption scheme uses a salting technique or is signing the content based on user input such as a passoword or similar (I'm getting out of my depth here) but the concept is that the encryption is likely applied differently depending on the user/session, and hence the blocks would be different in each encryption of the data from different identities.

Reminds me of AnonPaste's technique of the user keeping the key and encrypting the text, client-side.

I'm reasonably new to these technologies above only having exposure in the last couple of years in my job, but applying my understanding above this is my opinion, happy to be taught otherwise. :)

Dave

4. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

The purpose of encryption is to randomize data. In typical encryption the same data encrypted with two different keys will lead to very different encrypted data sets.

This link goes on to explain that bitcasa use convergent encryption keys which means that if two people encrypt the same file the encrypted file will be the same, which is how bitcasa can deduplicate it. This means that somebody could work out what your encrypted data is, if they have the same file.
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/18/bitcasa-explains-encryption/

5. OP
    OP
    kogi

kogi Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

There's that possibility.

7. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

*Thread Revival*

These guys have been getting some press lately. I am keen to give them a go mainly for photos. My photos are unlikely to match anyone elses and I will keep more personal stuff secured via other services.

8. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

9. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Only does one computer? Can't access files remotely?

10. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

This has left beta and there is a special for pre-buying one year. Maybe some photographers etc. are interested.

https://www.bitcasa.com/pricing

Just wanted to let everyone know in case they wanted to take advantage of the discount.