bitcoin mining (Do not offer items for sale in this thread)

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by jurasofish, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Install afterburner and drop the voltage from stock down to the lowest it's stable at, then set fan profile manually, that way it's quiet.

2. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

ok but doesn't afterburner have a tray icon? i want stuff they arn't going to wonder about and click on and go "oh whats this" and stuff shit up. lol

3. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

So does bitcoin, just tell them to ignore it :p

4. kangathekat

yeah im sure i can get a program that hides stuff from the tray as well afterburner works on nvidia and ati?

5. Timbojones0123

Timbojones0123 (Banned or Deleted)

acehide? good ol highschool

6. slavewone

slavewone Member

If you assume BFL to be publicly eventually real then you can probably compare them to the similarly real all the way to vapor real. The fact Avalon is shipping makes it in my eyes above comparison to BFL, but it does make an interesting comparison in that many 'offerings' post similar numbers from a myriad of mask sizes.

From what i understand, ASICminer, PrimeASIC and Avalon all used tweaked retasked chips and have fairly similar efficiencies. bASIC apparently customised a proprietary chip (perhaps a little more efficeint?). BFL and 100TH apparently have their own chips which also increases the spread on actual power consumption.

Even the chips they do have available have not been demonstrated to show the efficiency that Avalon are demonstrating in the wild. There is a video on youtube that shows an SC doing something at ~42W (plus the 80mm fan?) but i was unable to deduce a hashrate. If the 42W was idle, 60GH is a tough ask.

Cgminer can be setup to do all you want, then set it to run as a hidden service.

To start, figure out the max fan speed while still inaudible, then figure out the max hash speed you can achieve with that fan setting without overheating. You can set desired, overheat and max temps in cgminer. Then set the fan to automatically run dynamically under the aforementioned speed and for a bit more safety margin, set cgminer to dynamically underclock the core if the temp gets too high.

Finally set it all up as a service using something like http://www.pirmasoft.de/runassvc.php

7. kangathekat

all set up on my mums pc lol pulling a measly 90Mhps but hard to complain since im not paying the electricity lol.

found a program called 4t tray minimizer does the trick of hiding both bitminter and afterburner, sitting it on 55% fan and its not too loud and overclocked core to max of 675mhz on the stock 6570 its running, downclocked the mem but couldn't undervolt as it wont let me touch voltage :(

still only running at 70c so not bad.

get a few more of these and i'll be up over 1000Mhps soon lol.

one question though, should i have a seperate worker for each PC? or are they ok to all connect to 1 worker?

another questions, if i was looking to invest in a future mining box what would be the best i can buy RIGHT NOW? is there any of the asics i can get now if i have the money, i dont mind spending a few grand on this if i can get in early on these units.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  8. ernie

ernie Member

I blew up two ATI video cards bitcoin mining. Decided it was costing me more in hardware and electricity than I got back in bitcoins. Nice idea though, the mining software sux, it thrashes the hardware too much. Someone needs to modify a mining client to reduce the load on the hardware, introduce wait states or some other mechanism to control the duty cycle.

- Ernie.

9. slavewone

slavewone Member

cgminer (and a likely few of the other clients do that) - allow you to reduce/increase intensity, set the core/mem/fan as static or even dynamic with a chosen range, nominate the number of threads and set target/overheat/cutoff temps all on a per card basis if you happen to be runing multiple cards in a rig.

10. h-90

h-90 Member

I forgot the 5870s need two power adapters each! So I need to buy some more power leads to put the other card in.

11. schnappy

schnappy Member

Anyone know why cgminer reports a reasonable 375 kH/s when scrypt mining, but the pool page only reports ~60? I found a thread somewhere about a similar issue, people pointed the finger at how the rates are calculated, but I've left it going for a while and it's certainly not that.

CPU mining with minerd, site takes a while to calculate a reasonable hash rate, but then reports about ~50 while minerd says ~39.

Anyone know the go?

Edit: Using cgminer with lower intensity, 12 instead of =>14, the hash rates tend to agree. I've read of people saying that higher intensities were detrimental, this may or may not be what they were referring too.

Edit2: reaper is consistent across pool stats/miner. Strange, I'll go with it for now. Litecoin's hardware guide suggests I should be able to get 550 with my 7950, possibly upwards of 600. Most I've hit according to the apparently optimistic cgminer is just over 500, averaging ~489 with aggression 18.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. h-90

h-90 Member

Hashrate on pool websites vary widely. All that matters is that you are receiving shares and solving blocks. Your earnings are not calculated on your hashrate but rather how many shares you've solved in a block. Reported hashrate is just for your calculations only.

I think your intensity is way to high btw, I run 6 on my 5870s. I bumped it up more for only 0.9mh/s more and a less stable system.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. schnappy

schnappy Member

Well I've been running reaper for about 12 hours now with varied intensity, intensity seems proportional to hash rate almost linearly. I want my hardware to last, not a dedicated miner so I'll stick to ~14 most of the time giving a consistent 280kH/s.

I was being credited for solving blocks, but it was evidently slow. It's going at a more acceptable pace now.

14. Foliage

Foliage Member

$94 per BTC now, shit is intense.

The client I used to use for GPU mining let me change the % GPU load, worked pretty well doing exactly what you said.

15. Slyboom

Slyboom Member

$104 now. Think it might be time to sell mine.

16. Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

Yeah, I have to overclock 100MHz to get 525MH/s with CGMiner... Not happy Jan

17. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

Exciting times. Litecoin is also doing very well in case anyone has some of those squirreled away.

18. CoD511

CoD511 Member

Oh jesus what, last I remember was them at $1.6~ per BTC when I was considering having my 5870 work constantly mining... why oh why didn't I do it :(

19. ernie

ernie Member

I haven't mined for a couple of years, so I am a bit out of touch. I previously used ozcoin but my login there seems to have been deleted. Should I go back to them and create a new login, or is there someone better nowadays?

PPS is probably what I will select this time.

- Ernie.

20. Imitation

Imitation Member

I think they got hacked a while back? I tried logging in months ago and mine was gone as well.