Black Desert

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Tiberio, May 10, 2014.

1. Tiberio

Tiberio Member

Black Desert Online - Korean MMO

A fansite dedicated to translating alot of the info into english can be found at http://black-desert.com/

Steparu is another great resource for info and media. His playlist for his videos for the 2nd CBT can be found here

There are rumours that the developer is making an english version along side the korean version but are still actively looking for a western publisher.

Black Desert has been under development for over a year, and Pearl Abyss has state that a completely new game engine was created for the game. This was done in order to meet the technical requirements of a large-scale open world that would hold expansive battles such as castle sieges. By having experienced in-house developers, they boldly made their own engine that allowed them to debug and customize their world more easily.

Black Desert is a huge sandbox oriented MMORPG that provides a variety of unique experiences, including strategy-oriented action such as castle sieges and complex battle, and also sophisticated simulation content such as trading, NPC-hiring, and real-estate management.

In an interview, it was stated that the world of Black Desert was divided into two countries – Calpheon and Valencia. These two factions are head to head in competition for The Black Stone, an essential energy resource. Calpheon is a prosperous, commercial-oriented land, while Valencia holds spiritual values above all else.

Black Stones litter the desert area that separate the two countries, known as “Black Desert” to the people of Calpheon and “Red Desert” to the people of Valencia, due to the blood that stains the sand in consequence of the endless battles that take place there. Players write their own story in the deep world of Black Desert.

Classes
    The currently released classes for Black Desert are Warriors, Hunters, Sorceresses, and Predators.

More classes, including Valkyries, Archers, Wizards, Bladers, and Assassins, are currently in development.

The three known races are Humans, Elves, and Giants.

In an interview, Brian Oh has stated that more classes are likely to be released and while classes are not gender locked, there is a possibility they will be race locked.

Combat
    The game features an action combat system. All classes are able to ride mounts and use their weapons while riding. Mounted combat is not only for hunting, but also for PvP and castle siege.

Mounted combat has several advantages, such as charging while mounting for increased damage, and easier access to knock down enemies. However, mounted combat takes more skill and precision.

Black Desert will feature dungeons. Some dungeons are featured in quest and require objectives to be completed, such as guarding caravans, horse racing, finding lost cats, catching thieves, etc.

Monsters are more difficult to defeat at night time, and grant experience bonuses upon death. Some materials you get from monsters may only be available at night time.

More about the game can be found here

Videos
    Some videos of how awesome this game looks.

Bikeman's First Preview with english commentary

Steparu - Black Desert Online Undead Forest Combat System High Level Gameplay
    (if you open the video up in youtube and look at the video description it has a breakdown on all the key combinations for the combat)

Steparu - Black Desert Online 2nd CBT Gameplay Giant

Seamless World

115 Places in 24 Mins

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Looks pretty freakin awesome :)

3. OP
    OP
    Tiberio

Tiberio Member

Bikeman's newest vid.

4. Lichking

Lichking Member

Looks not to shabby..BF is getting old fast...might check this one out asap...being toying with the idea of going back to Wow for a while and Wildstar don't do a lot for me after reading the thread/watching vids so yeah ty for the headsup. :thumbup:

5. jayced

jayced Member

6. OP
    OP
    Tiberio

Tiberio Member

7. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Combat looks ok, but I'll bet its one grindy as fuck mofo.

8. droopz

droopz Member

English translations are a little 'auto-google' but playable for the most part.

The KR release that we're playing now moved a little away from the promised sandbox experience but it's still a solid, deep and detailed game.

Jap and RU versions are imminent so it will be interesting to see how they approached it.

9. droopz

droopz Member

Game is currently down for maintenance and update. (New class getting added YAY) so I thought I'd throw up some screenshots i've taken over the last few days.

There is a very rebust screenschot and screensaver system in the game which sylizes and filters the shots. Took this shot of my fishing Tamer when I can back from AFK.

[​IMG]

While there aren't exactly a huge number of armour model in the beta currently, the ones that are in are extremely well made, have a full set of destruction meshes to show durability level and layer things like blood, water and mud.

[​IMG]

The rain and swimming also soaks your character for a while, which tends to make them look uncomfortably sweaty.

[​IMG]

Trying to take that last shoot, just before I got drilled by someone one their horse lol

[​IMG]

10. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

I tried to play this game a while back but the whole needing a social security number and everything being in Korean made it hard.

If anyone could allow me to use a spare account they have that would be dope.

Watched bikeman's video the other day looks absolutely stunning .

The unfortunate thing is Korean mmo's tend to be pay to win (archeage I'm looking at you) but I'm absolutely amazed at the graphics and design of this game.

11. Wodan

Wodan Member

If you have no luck finding someone to set you up with the ssn/i-pin whatever, check out Newgameway.

Just updated mine this morning to have another go. Only played a little during the Blader patch update. The English patch is quite good but some of the crafting/workers/housing is stumping me, I'll have to read up on it.

As for the graphics, my card is pretty old (7870) and the game runs great at high settings.

12. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Haha im playing TERA at the moment but BDO looks like a good fit.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Closed beta for BDO starts tomorrow for pre-orders, with live for all at the end of the month.
    https://www.blackdesertonline.com/preorder/

Anyone getting in to this one? It looks like there is content for days...... :o

One off cost with no subs sounds good.
    Will Oceanic ping hurt though with that combat? :(

edit: latest trailer:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The twitchy combat is noticeable with 100-200ms of ping. Recommend a tunnelling service to reduce your ping. Battleping might help.

I think at minimum you'll get 200ms from Sydney to west coast USA. Although some Perth residents have reported decent pings too.

$30/50 packs seem ok. $100 is not worth it. I'm not repeating another Archeage incident.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. Khanage

Khanage Member

Looks like Battleping are still deciding whether they will be supporting BDO. They had issues getting the tunneling service working during CBT1, and will try to resolve these issues during CBT2 (fingers crossed).

16. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

CBT2 unlocks 6pm tonight QLD time, for those interested.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

18. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Runs surprisingly well for how pretty it is.

Combat is different and fun. No "1, 2, 5, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3" style of gameplay. It's all movement and button combos to do moves.

19. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Price estimate from KR/RUS version

$35-99 for some costumes
    $12 for a T1 pet, $225 for 4x T3 pets
    $25 for a couch
    $2-5 for vigor potions
    $?? dyes each

Then account services like bank slots, inventory weight, inventory slots, character slots

Thinking this game will add up to cost more than a normal subscription based game.

20. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

I got a CBT2 invite and have the client downloaded and waiting at home. Will give it a spin this afternoon, but I've got a GW2 account, so I'm not expecting anything -that-revolutionary.. though I am expecting the lagzilla.