1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Mesa: Source - A Half-Life 2 Modification

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Dec 1, 2008.

1. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

That's a bit harsh. HL2 is hardly cutting edge by any standard... graphics complement gameplay too...

2. Grant

Grant Member

Portal 2 doesn't look that bad though. I have a feeling it's relatively easy to add features to an engine (like the open-source Quake engines) compared to actually making the art to go into it, which can be scaled to how powerful the current video hardware is.

3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Have a dig around some of the other threads, there was a discussion involving the 'scalability' of game assets; turns out it isn't that easy.

Asset generation is what takes so long I'm lead to believe, I'd pay that too given that Source engine is solid and predictable so they shouldn't need to do much there at all.

4. hello_goodbye

hello_goodbye New Member

No it's people like you who kill gaming. See I can do it too. Nobody killed gaming you dickhead.

5. lithos

lithos Member

I always thought the characters in HL2 were the last to stand on far edge of the Uncanny Valley.

Before we fucking swan-dived off, shouting "WOOOOOO! FUCK YEAH!" all the way down.

6. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

No. The difference is rather obvious to me. Garry's Mod is a sandbox toy, using some assets from Source games. Black Mesa on the other hand, is Half Life. I'm mildly surprised Valve hasn't thrown legal threats at them, kudos to Valve for not being ***holes like that.

Aside: I've been looking forwards to this mod for years, too. Hopefully it pops up one day, and comes vaguely close to meeting the hype. If it's better than HL:Source, I'll be pretty stoked. I just doubt Valve will help them. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it even gets distributed via Steam (especially since this'd pretty much guarantee Valve thought it was a worthy effort.)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Actually Black mesa is BLACK MESA. A Source engine modification based on the original half life game. It's not HALF LIFE. And even if it was, who cares? Anyone that plays it would be aware it's a mod, and if you were really paranoid you could have a little notice at the start..I really don't think valve are as precious as you state!

Actually here is a quote from Steam:

"We're as eager to play [Black Mesa] here as everyone else."
    :lol:

8. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

I quoted Black Mesa's 'about' page. It's a remake. They use that exact word.

I didn't call Steam precious. I gave them kudos for not killing the mod with legal threats out of hand, like some publishers might've in the same situation.

I'm just giving a few ideas as to why Steam might NOT in fact want to throw money at the mod. Since you were openly wondering why they weren't. And guess what. They're not. Go figure. Come back and tell me I'm wrong when they do. I'd be very happy to be wrong, I've been watching this mod for a long time too ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. SID135

SID135 Member

Black Mesa is a remake of HL1. Think HL1 with a brand new graphics engine, and updated to work as a current generation game.

If it comes out then I say Valve will hire most of the team for either a new project, or to work on EP3.

Valve have been helping the BM team with the engine and supporting the project with a little marketing help, it will be interesting to see what happens as Valve have a tendency to snap up talent. And from looking at the screen from BM it look like they have it in spades.

10. Linkin

Linkin Member

Hey guys stay tuned, my brother (who is a total nut for anything half life) says that is game is set to release on the 4th of jan! (US Time)

11. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

12. Linkin

Linkin Member

what.

10char

13. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

I hope he's right, but that's unlikely. A week or two ago one of the lead developers said it will not be out within the next two months. Unless something amazing has occurred in the past week I can't see it being released by the 4th.

Would love to be wrong though :)

14. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I'm sorry it's just that each time they announce that it'll be out on x date something happens and it gets pushed back. :tired:

15. Linkin

Linkin Member

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, or the 5th, depending on where the developers are.

16. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Gameplay and storyline is far more important than eye candy.

To this end, if valve release HL2: Episode 3 on anything but the same engine that the first two episodes came out with, I will firebomb their offices. It was supposed to be out over 2 years ago after all, but they decided to concentrate on their L4D SHIT, instead of a decent game.

17. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

L4D is far more of a game than HL1 or 2 could ever hope to be (...). :D

Also, isn't this HL mod a remake of the original HL but with better graphics? If that is the case, why are people waiting for this remake? Doesn't 'Gameplay and storyline is far more important than eye candy' count?

18. Ospi

Ospi Member

Graphics still do a hell of a lot for immersion and atmosphere. I am not desperate to get this but it will a good excuse to give the game another play after a decade.

19. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yeah, great storyline there, you have to kill zombies and...... wait, what else is there? Oh, there's no more..... :rolleyes:

20. Philll

Philll Member

I'm going to start calling bullshit on that. People think if they keep saying it they are fighting some noble cause, who wouldn't want to play classics in modern engines? I'd give my left nut for an updated Deus Ex 1 because a graphics update is about the only improvement you could ever make. If gameplay always > graphics we'd still be mashing 100px white cubes into each other on a black screen.

Lately we've been getting shit games with shit gameplay and shit graphics anyway.