Black Pudding

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, May 26, 2015.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I absolutely love this stuff, yet I find it incredibly difficult to find. Regular supermarkets seem not to stock it anymore.

Anyone know where I can source some from? Online or otherwise?

2. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. connico

connico Member

I buy mine from http://www.tasteireland.com.au/ They only ship to limited postcodes

Happy hunting

You could make it...

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ah bugger....just misses Adelaide postcodes. Will probably have to find somewhere local, thanks anyways.

PS: not going to make it, can't be bothered and it would probably not taste the same anyways.

6. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

7. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

They do ship and they're based in Sydney, but apparently have a Melbourne shop too now.

8. Shepete

Shepete Member

Not quite sure what you see in it. I lived in Scotland for a while & got to like most things, but Black Pudd & Haggis never really took my fancy.
    You do know what it's made of, don't you?:)

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Different strokes for different folks ; )

I don't think I've ever had haggis......but doesn't much appeal to me. Although if I had the opportunity I'd definitely try it.

:lol: Of course I do :p

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Fairly popular in chinese cuisine too. Especially in porridge. :thumbup:

11. Shepete

Shepete Member

Tastes pretty much like what you would expect ground up heart, lung, liver & other offal mixed with porridge & boiled in a sheep's guts, to taste like.:leet:
    I used to say that, that is why they invented Scotch, to try & cover up the taste of Haggis.:)

12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Woolworths sell black pudding btw. the Goetzinger brand. In with the whole salamis and stuff, most woolworths it's a self-service cabinet thing near the deli section. It's... fine. Not amazing black pudding, but it's by no means bad.

My butcher does too. from a melbourne smokehouse, forget the brand

I'm with you, cant get enough of the stuff. My mind was blown the first time I actually tried it.

EDIT - Mind you I find most parts of the pig offally tasty :p

13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not quite my scene, in porridge that is. Eww.

Surely you jest? I honestly wouldn't know, I know nothing about haggis. But I'd be willing to give it a go with a scotch along side just in case :D

I'll check for it again but I reckon they don't sell it ant my woolies. But I'll check again, ta.

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Well not exactly black pudding. But basically blocks of pig's blood like tofu. And it's chinese porridge i'm talking about. So it's just plain rice + lots of water. Not the sweet stuff that some people call porridge lol :D

15. connico

connico Member

Oh Adelaide... that's easy

Barossa fine foods, they had a store at the central markets but I am told they have a few stores now. Check them out.

Otherwise, KR Castlemaine or GWF are one of my clients. They make a black pudding that they used to sell to IGAs, Wools and Deli's. I would call a local Adelaide supplier that supplies KR Castlemaine and track down a store.

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Funny you should mention that actually.....brother in law was at central markets today and I told him to check around.....managed to get 2 packets of black pudding for $4.50 each.

It's probably not the one I'm used to but I'll see how it goes :thumbup:

Winrar! Thanks gents.

17. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I've got an idea that awesome butcher in lyndoch in the barossa valley does some black pudding too if you're going for a drive that way one weekend. Even if I'm wrong, the rest of his smallgoods are fucking amazing.

Try his beef jerky too, it's a smoked beef jerky, really damned good.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

My local butcher seems to have changed hands (has a new name, anyway) and they are selling black pudding. Could somebody give me an idea as to what it tastes like? Does it taste like liver? I might give it a try, but not if it tastes like something I know I hate.

19. twinhardballers

twinhardballers Member

It really depends on what they put in it, I hate liver too and all of the black pudding's I've had have been nice if that helps

20. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

Black Pudding is awesome - the ones I've had don't taste of offal at all - generally a well spiced (all-spice/pepper) / salty meaty taste. I love it served fried - so its crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Tasty as part of a full breakfast (with HP sauce), and also tasty when combined with scallops.

In melbourne, I get mine from Rob's British Butchers - and he has scottish, english and irish versions - made fresh.

The scottish version is my favourite - it has oats in it and is well spiced. The english version has more back fat and the irish version is the mildest.