[PROJECT] Blades By Baz

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jul 26, 2014.

1. oculi

oculi Member

That folder looks nice, I'm not sure I get the point of them, but it's probably a good folder design to get your feet wet with if nothing else.

Do you use tube nuts between two scale bolts or does the bolt on one side have external thread and the bolt on the other have internal thread? I kinda like the idea of buying a bunch of threaded tube so I can use standardish hardware but haven't had a good look for it yet.

2. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

I used brass pins, peened and a spacer at the base.

3. oculi

oculi Member

sorry I meant on these guys, not the folder

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Sorry, I see now.

The tang is threaded before hardening and I use M4 or M5 countersunk screws, ground down to meet in the middle from both sides.

Baz.

5. oculi

oculi Member

cheers!

6. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Another FF. I think I've got it now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie), samus and oculi like this.
  7. samus

samus Member

Nice work mate!

Following with great interest.

M.

8. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Thanks M. :D

Just finished. Friction folder evolution. My own design, using the same angles in my makers stamp, translated to all parts of the knife. This one is a prototype. There are a couple of angles I am going to change ever so slightly to the order of perfection, plus I am going to taper the thickness of the thumb lever for a perfect fit. That being said, I love this knife and I am seriously thinking of keeping it instead of selling it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EvilGenius and RyoSaeba like this.
  9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Will your future designs be able to evolve and omit the tang that sticks out when folded closed, like a regular pocket knife? Or is that something that's a little too complex to DIY? Just curious.

10. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Not too complex at all. In fact, we are currently developing a range of folding knives at Tharwa Valley Forge, where I work. The protrusion is part of the design of a friction folder and serves purpose. It can be shaped to suit a variety of tasks, but it is the part you use to flip the knife open one handed, plus it holds the knife open against your palm when in use. Not sure if you have ever held one, but when you do, you'll see.

Personally, I love the elegance in simplicity. If I can make a knife simple, crisp and functional, I am on the right track.

Baz.

EvilGenius and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ah fair enough. I didn't realise that sort of knife was 'a thing', I've never seen one before. I can just imagine having it poke holes in the bottom of my pockets :p Are you focusing on single blades? Any chance of a 'multi-tool' style in the future? I guess I figure after the ironman suit topping this thing can't be too far off....

12. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

While showing a quick video of how my latest knife works, I thought I'd have a quick play around with a free video editor and chuck in the intro clip. I need to learn all the tricks of a full version video editor, but that's a way off yet.

Whaddya reckon?

Baz.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  13. oculi

oculi Member

I can't say I love the design but I appreciate the combination of old concept with natural materials but all angles and sharp corners. I'm a big fan of 8 sided handles as they are quite comfortable and easy to make.

Lockers? what style? I'm a long way off folders, but I have a liner lock knife that works very nicely.

14. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Yes, lockers. Look up Tharwa Valley Forge on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/tharwavalleyforge/

oculi likes this.
  15. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

i like the lines of it. nice work.

eyy, but make sure the hinge doesn't ever loosen up...on account of ye olde prohibited weapons act...emphasis mine

a flick knife or other similar device that has a blade folded or
    recessed into the handle
    which opens automatically by—
    (a) gravity or centrifugal force; or
    (b) pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached
    to the handle of the device

nanny state something something...

16. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

^^ Thanks DW.

Update:

There's a few things about my new design that I'm not quite satisfied with. So, I've broken it apart to make changes, as well as use it to make a template for more. I'm pretty excited about this one. When you hold it in your hand or slip it in your pocket, you just know it's going to become a well used tool.

[​IMG]

17. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Hopefully its OK to put some competition up here? /sarcasm

Just thought this might give you a chuckle and some ideas on how to maximise profits. Head to the US, get some "marketing" (silicon? :p) and off you go

18. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

I've been sent that and seen others discuss it more times than I've had people ask me if I can see Uranus from my observatory, or if my Iron Man suit can fly.....

I must refrain from comment... :p

B

cmi83 likes this.
  19. oculi

oculi Member

I like the bit when they say it's great (pun resisted) having a grater on the side of the knife. I suppose they would also think gluing razor blades to the sides of your grater would be a great idea.

cmi83 likes this.