[PROJECT] Blades By Baz

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by ASIGN_Baz, Jul 26, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Offcuts from the ends of Damascus, (*modern) billets.

I love these random chunks of metal. You don't know who made them or how they were made, how many layers or anything. Inspected through the bucket of stubs, looking for any that might be OK, then bash 'em out and see what you get. Some de-lamination here and there, but these are rejected off-cuts for a reason. Forged, ground and polished, then dropped in thick-as-mud, cheapo coffee overnight to see what happens in the morning.

Turned out OK.

*Modern Damascus - because so many keyboard warriors get precious about calling it Damascus.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

The two steels are 1075 and 15n20. Essentially the same, but the 15n20 has a little bit of nickel in it. They are stacked in alternate layers, then hammered together while super heated, then manipulated into patterns, forged into a knife, ground, highly polished, then etched in ferric chloride, coffee or both. The steel with less nickel in it absorbs the stain of the coffee. Coffee is also acidic, so it etches the metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

die_piggy likes this.
  2. oculi

oculi Member

I think we've been here before, but hug em, that's what "Damascus steel" means now (and has meant for a few dozen years) so if they want to talk about wootz they should use the term wootz.

Nice patters, did you put them in Ferric Chloride before the coffee?

I quenched and tempered some steel the other day, I'm a bit closer to learning the depth of what I don't know about heat treatment.

3. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Coffee etch only.

Baz.

oculi likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Here's another small stub, squashed out and turned into a cute little paring knife. A little cheeky file-work on the spine for fun.

Baz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

Another cute little blade made out of an end stub of Damascus. The stub was no bigger than a mintie, looking like it had been left on a car dashboard all summer...

Forged into a bar, then stretched and flattened, beaten to shape, ground and polished. Coffee etched last night for 5 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

I really like this one! :)

7. OP
    OP
    ASIGN_Baz

It's available. Blade length is only 60mm. Might make a nice little paring knife.

B.