Blatantly just showing photos of my HT

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Holdenkicks, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

You could try blacking out the area that is unused? I'm not sure how much clearance you have, but attaching some velvet would definitely help achieve a nicer image, the black borders are important for providing a reference black for your eyes, and will help the colours to 'pop' more.

2. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

WOW ... so almost 0.5 kw/H usage... OUCH. So a movie is close to 2 kw/H of power.

Also noticed the 60" NEC Plasma.

I hope you've got solar panels because sounds like that combination would be chewing through power.

Aside from that, nice setup. Really clean, and done on a good budget too :)

3. nico6

nico6 Member

How many 4 hour movies do you watch? :)

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

:tired: *face palms himself*

Yep that's a Maths Fail right there..

Just don't go binge watching tv series on the projector and it's all good :D

5. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

400W at 30c/kWh = 12cents an hour viewing cost. Is that really going to blow the budget?

Tossing this projector for a new LCD costing $1k that uses 100W would not break even for over 10,000 hours

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Sadly the projector doesn't get used much at all - barely even 100 hours a year. I just don't have much time for movies these days and the 60" plasma is big enough for most things. I think modern lcd projectors use a similar amount of power. But my quarterly electricity bill is only around $450 so I'm not worried.

7. mtma

mtma Member

Typically they're around the 200-250W mark for HT projectors.

Also LCD projectors hmm, my taste is definitely chip projectors :weirdo:

8. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

This was my loungeroom back in 2007. Bought a Sony CRT projector for $5000 back in about 2001. I used it every day from 2001 to 2007 until I moved in with my gf.. it didn't hang around for too long after we moved in.

[​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Nice! That looks similar to the Sony 1271 I had before the barco! Is yours a 127x? My projector only cost me $470, I can't imagine spending $5000!

10. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeap.. Sony 1272 with a VGA board..

Think mine had less than 1000 hours on the clock when i bought it..

11. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

That would have been sweet. Do you think you'd have been more likely to keep it if it was ceiling mounted? Because mine would be such a massive pain to remove, the girlfriend/future wife can't do anything about it. But thankfully she doesnt mind.

It frequently attracts comments from visitors like "what the hell is that!" or "holy crap that things huge!"

12. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

No.. When I was single I didn't really have to consider anyone else so I more or less built my lounge around it.. Which meant it was in a small room with a 2.5 mtr wide screen where I used to play xbox/ps2 and PC on it..

But, I lived in a rental so it had to be mobile, not that you could call 50-60kg mobile.. When i moved in with my gf, i don't think it hung around too long.. as it was always in the way and she saw no difference between a 2.5mtr wide screen and a 34cm tv..

That said, at the time, it served a purpose.. even a 68cm TV was expensive.. $2000.. and a 50" 480p plasma was $10k.. So i think after about 6 months moving in together we got a 50" 1080p plasma for $3k.. as cool as the 'holy shit.. what the fuck is that' conversation starter was, the flexibility and convenience of a flat screen TV more than makes up for it..

These days I have a 60" LCD as my main movie screen, and have a 40" 4k screen as my gaming & PC screen.. Don't think I'll ever get another projector.. those days are behind me.

13. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Friends don't let friends buy Ken Duncan panographs

14. OP
    OP
    Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

:p AHahahaha thanks for that man, best laugh all day! I actually really like them, I have about 9 of them around the house! I bought them all cheap second hand though. I'm a fan of landscape photography and I think his is some of the best going! Each to their own though.